Antec 300 Build <pics>

buckshot420

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
This is my first mod/build. Just wanted to get some feedback and ideas. If anyone else has some antec 300 mod pics of there own please post them!

Here she is.

Decided not to cut cable holes since I have great airflow.

o9nuz8.jpg

11b21so.jpg

Added a nice little window but that locking channel strip is some tough stuff but once it's in but, WOW...talk about stability and durability!!

fjg5xt.jpg

xde3b8.jpg

Found an extra cathode so I threw it in.

2o1vs.jpg

buckshot420

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012

Thanks for the compliment!
Yea, about the channel strip. I bought a frozencpu kit from micro center for $5 on clearance. The frozen cpu kits have the channel lock strip, big but sturdy. I couldn't pop the window out unless I "unlocked" the strip. Once you run the strip around and pop in the window you tuck the top in and it locks the window in. Here's a pic (look at the channel strip pic).
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/3934/win-60/DIY_Window_Kit_-_Rectangle_12_x_8.html?tl=g42c355s913#blank

buckshot420

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
Thanks for the input! Im going to be pulling to drive tray out and mounting my hdd with brackets up top. I have an H100 i'll be fitting into the 2 x 120. I thought about painting but I'll probably end up selling this at some point and im not going to paint something that Im not keeping :non:

buckshot420

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012

I know about the regular 5.25 adapter plates but I was wondering if there is such a thing for side mounting a hdd in a 5.25 bay which the regular plates do not allow you to do. I checked newegg again but couldn't find such a device. I would think it would have to be a cage of sorts considering the way it would have to be mounted. I'll probably have to bungee cord it...Thanks though!!

But you can't side mount in the 5.25" bay with the side being blocked. Look up "hdd cage" there's not much on newegg so I searched on google's shopping.

What are you using to remove the hdd cage? If it creates metal shavings then no, it's not safe.

buckshot420

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012

I was thinking about using a dremel. I did find this but I'm going to keep looking around. Are you saying that there is not enough room on the sides of the 5.25 bay to route sata and power through with the HDD mounted sideways? I don't mind cutting out a hole but to be honest I haven't looked (just assumed there would be room). Please let me know your thoughts.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835150085&cm_re=hard_drive_cooler-_-35-150-085-_-Product

Hdds are 5.75" long so there aren't side mounted 5.25" adapters. Do you really need a cooler? A simple 5.25 to 3.5 is $5. A dremel will create metal shavings so you would need to take your components out.

Great build man, really good job there for a first build,
I'm a B%^$£rd for picking on peoples cable management and I can't fault you,
well done mate :)
once you remove the drive cage you will have some nice metal edging you can dremel/saw up to make rightangle brackets with,
use that to mount the Hdd sideways/vertically out of sight maybe,
theres a members gallery in homebuild so post a couple of pics in there and once the H100's in, one in Overclocing section for W/c builds as well,
painting it up will make a massive difference and is worth it if you are selling it,
again, great first build man, and welcome to Toms :)
Moto

buckshot420

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012

I already have access to an H100, but I agree I wouldn't buy one for $100 or normally put one in but hey...this is a modding project ;)

If the components have to come out, she's getting a paint job also :D .

buckshot420

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012

Thanks man! I have to admit, it wasn't that difficult with a few extension cables (though I do wish I had that antec 300.2). I'll have to do some searching on making the brackets out of the edging. I may even end up ditching the optical drive since I have an old external I can use giving me more room to work with. I think I am going to end up cutting out cable holes and giving her a paint job since I already have a rivet gun. Thanks for the tips and compliments bud!

buckshot420

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2012
I have decided to cut some metal and paint :D I was wondering if anyone knows a place that sells the rubber grommets with flaps that you see in cases with cable management? I don't know what to call them but If I can't find them I have u-channel available. I will be painting the inside matte black but metallic blue on the board tray. Is there a good link for a painting checklist? Any help is appreciated.