More than maximum ram in one slot

toarranre

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
So I'm looking to put a couple of GBs extra ram into an old laptop (sorry left it at home and forgot the model)
Planning to use a tiny version of puppy linux which runs entirely in ram, incredibly fast considering how old it is but the browser constantly crashes as there's not enough memory (i think)
SIW tells me it can take 2GB per slot for a maximum of 4 but online specs for the laptop say maximum 1 per slot (SIW has been wrong in the past)

Near home I can only find 2GB ddr2 sticks (at twice the price of ddr3 now :fou: ) and since it would cost me more money than I save to go ram hunting I'm just going to go for it.

Just want to get confirmation from somewhere other than yahoo answers that it will work.

1. If the memory density is too high the computer can still use half of it right?

2. If I get the full 2GB being used in 1 slot plus the 256MB its got, Is it safe enough to assume it can hadle the full 4 as indicated by SIW?

(for the sake of clarity i'm in Thailand and I am NOT willing to buy online here)

If the memory density is too high, the laptop uses NONE of it. It is not compatible.

Best to get us the model #.

Sneal

Honorable
Feb 18, 2013