Last response: in CPUs
April 8, 2012 4:15:30 AM

Basicly is how is it different

Intel i3, i5, i7 from

Dual core, Quadcore, EightCore etc...

More about : intel processor core

a c 78 à CPUs
April 8, 2012 4:34:13 AM

They're just product names. Theres no significance to them other than the higher the number, the higher performing the line is (in theory). Theres no correlation to core numbers, i3s are dual cores, i5s and i7s are quad cores, i7 has a couple six cores, i5 has a couple dual cores.

Edit: I had to check a few things myself to answer your question, damn confusing isn't it?
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 8, 2012 5:11:47 AM

i7 CPU´s have the posibility to work on 2 threads on the same time (Hyperthreadning)

and windows will then reconize that as another core therefore an eightcore AMD and a

quadcore i7 with Hyperthreadning looks the same in windows
m
l
Related resources
April 8, 2012 6:06:41 AM

nekulturny said:
They're just product names. Theres no significance to them other than the higher the number, the higher performing the line is (in theory). Theres no correlation to core numbers, i3s are dual cores, i5s and i7s are quad cores, i7 has a couple six cores, i5 has a couple dual cores.

Edit: I had to check a few things myself to answer your question, damn confusing isn't it?

lmaoo annd still alittle confusing lol

so buying a dual core is like buying a i3?

by and quad core is like buying a i5?

lol thaknk you all for comenting
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
April 8, 2012 6:44:40 AM

juniiflow said:
lmaoo annd still alittle confusing lol

so buying a dual core is like buying a i3?

by and quad core is like buying a i5?

lol thaknk you all for comenting

Something like that, but like I said, not all i5s are quad cores, depends on the model. Are you currently in the market for a CPU?
m
l
April 8, 2012 6:50:22 AM

The answer above my post will probably be the best answer but let me add just a bit.
A multi-core processor is a single computing component with two or more independent actual processors (called "cores"),

single core - 1 physical processor
dual core - 2 physical processors on one chip
triple core - 3 physical processors on one chip
quad core - 4 physical processors on one chip.

The easiest analogy I can think of to explain this is always the highway example.

1, 2, 3, or 4 lane highway - if a processor has hyperthreading its like adding additional lanes to the highway without having to build a whole new highway. Essentially there can be more cars on the highway but it necessarily doesn't mean it will fix any bottlenecks (merging lanes, exit lanes) In computer terms it means you can get more stuff done in the same amount of time to an extent.

Now trying to compare processors cores across brands isnt generally a good idea when just talking about them. Its better to look at benchmarks to get an idea of just how much more powerful a given processor is compared to another one. Generally speaking Intel is more powerful across the board.

Its like saying all cars are automobiles. yes that is true, but not all cars are created equal. Nobody would say a Ford Focus, is the same as a Ferrari Enzo, just like a Toyota Prius, isnt the same as an Honda Civic.
m
l
April 8, 2012 6:56:07 AM

nekulturny said:
Something like that, but like I said, not all i5s are quad cores, depends on the model. Are you currently in the market for a CPU?

kind of why/?
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
April 8, 2012 6:59:38 AM

juniiflow said:
kind of why/?

Well if you were, perhaps I could assist in finding something that meets your needs and budget. Theres dozens to pick from, and I got the feeling you were finding that overwhelming.
m
l
April 8, 2012 7:11:32 AM

nekulturny said:
Well if you were, perhaps I could assist in finding something that meets your needs and budget. Theres dozens to pick from, and I got the feeling you were finding that overwhelming.

ok? how do we contact? msn yahoo whatever you want. or pm?
m
l
a c 185 à CPUs
a b å Intel
April 8, 2012 7:14:40 AM

Which cpu were you looking at? What do you want to use your computer for? Is there a budget?
m
l
April 8, 2012 7:23:29 AM

amuffin said:
Which cpu were you looking at? What do you want to use your computer for? Is there a budget?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GATEWAY-GT5628-Intel-Core-2-Qua...

want to buy that and put more ram cost like 50 or 30 dollars.

and add a better graphic card to it
:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Diamond-Multimedia-ATI-Radeon-H...

30 dollars.

complete all can be 200 dollars.

listen i dont want a GAMEEEE! machine , of course i play online games, but i do not tend to play Console games like MW3 , MAssEffect, etcc... i have an xbox for that.

i want a good speed and looking computer, with a good perfomance at 300 Budget max. ( less wil be better)

all i do is used photoshop,cinema4d,illustrator etc.. facebook and other shitty stuff like that, the games i like can run without a problem even without me buying that graphic card.

Gunz.ijji.com (1) game

Operation 7

S4 League

i wont even play then as much as you think.

thank you in advanced.
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
April 8, 2012 7:24:14 AM

juniiflow said:
ok? how do we contact? msn yahoo whatever you want. or pm?

The forum is sufficient lol.

If you're looking for a gaming CPU, (since thats what most people are generally looking for around here) the i5 2500k is hands down the best CPU on the market today for gaming, it comes with a $220 price tag though. If you want cheaper options they do exist.
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
April 8, 2012 7:25:35 AM

juniiflow said:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GATEWAY-GT5628-Intel-Core-2-Qua...

want to buy that and put more ram cost like 50 or 30 dollars.

and add a better graphic card to it
:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Diamond-Multimedia-ATI-Radeon-H...

30 dollars.

complete all can be 200 dollars.

listen i dont want a GAMEEEE! machine , of course i play online games, but i do not tend to play Console games like MW3 , MAssEffect, etcc... i have an xbox for that.

i want a good speed and looking computer, with a good perfomance at 300 Budget max. ( less wil be better)

all i do is used photoshop,cinema4d,illustrator etc.. facebook and other shitty stuff like that, the games i like can run without a problem even without me buying that graphic card.

Gunz.ijji.com (1) game

Operation 7

S4 League

i wont even play then as much as you think.

thank you in advanced.

I see. Thats not a bad little system, I wouldn't pay more than 200 for it tho. That case is pretty nice looking, last time I saw a gateway, it was plain white. I'd consider upgrading the RAM in it with 4x 2GB sticks... It has a mix and match job per the spec page, not impressive.
m
l
April 8, 2012 7:32:28 AM

nekulturny said:
I see. Thats not a bad little system, I wouldn't pay more than 200 for it tho. That case is pretty nice looking, last time I saw a gateway, it was plain white. I'd consider upgrading the RAM in it with 4x 2GB sticks... It has a mix and match job per the spec page, not impressive.

why not?

can you helpo me find the RAM ? and the Hard drive havent got it, and search alll over for it, i dont wanna messed up like i did with my last computer.
m
l
April 8, 2012 7:36:11 AM

nekulturny said:
The forum is sufficient lol.

If you're looking for a gaming CPU, (since thats what most people are generally looking for around here) the i5 2500k is hands down the best CPU on the market today for gaming, it comes with a $220 price tag though. If you want cheaper options they do exist.

a whole computer, or just the processor?
m
l
a c 78 à CPUs
April 8, 2012 8:13:44 AM

juniiflow said:
why not?

can you helpo me find the RAM ? and the Hard drive havent got it, and search alll over for it, i dont wanna messed up like i did with my last computer.

The 2500k is 220 just for the processor. But I wrote that before I saw your post about what you were looking for.

As far as that gateway, the reason I wouldn't pay more than 200 bucks is because the components are a few generations old, and you're going to be putting more money into it with the video card as you said.

The hard drive capacity isn't that great.

The CPU is a couple generations old.

Its DDR2 RAM, we're on DDR3 now, in another year or two DDR4 will start rolling out. Its also windows 7 (Which is a plus) but only 3GB of RAM, which I would consider pretty low for a modern system. Ideally, 8GB would be best, but DDR2 is surprisingly expensive now. Its more expensive than newer DDR3. But since the system already has 2 1GB sticks in it, I would just do this http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Use those to replace the 2 512mb sticks already in there. That will give you 4GB total.

You're going to end up upgrading the video card like you said, and very possibly the RAM. Figure between those two you're going to have another 100 into it. When you get to the 500 dollar price point, you start to get into the realm of being able to build a brand new system with superior performance. Thats why I wouldn't pay more than 200.

Its not a bad little computer though, it would be a nice little system to get on the internet with, and do little java and flash games and such.
m
l
April 8, 2012 8:31:38 AM

nekulturny said:
The 2500k is 220 just for the processor. But I wrote that before I saw your post about what you were looking for.

As far as that gateway, the reason I wouldn't pay more than 200 bucks is because the components are a few generations old, and you're going to be putting more money into it with the video card as you said.

The hard drive capacity isn't that great.

The CPU is a couple generations old.

Its DDR2 RAM, we're on DDR3 now, in another year or two DDR4 will start rolling out. Its also windows 7 (Which is a plus) but only 3GB of RAM, which I would consider pretty low for a modern system. Ideally, 8GB would be best, but DDR2 is surprisingly expensive now. Its more expensive than newer DDR3. But since the system already has 2 1GB sticks in it, I would just do this http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Use those to replace the 2 512mb sticks already in there. That will give you 4GB total.

You're going to end up upgrading the video card like you said, and very possibly the RAM. Figure between those two you're going to have another 100 into it. When you get to the 500 dollar price point, you start to get into the realm of being able to build a brand new system with superior performance. Thats why I wouldn't pay more than 200.

Its not a bad little computer though, it would be a nice little system to get on the internet with, and do little java and flash games and such.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GATEWAY-LX6810-INTEL-CORE-2-QUA...

CHECK THIS ONE OUT.

AND YES, BUT I JUST BOUGH SOME PIECE OF CVRAP PC, WITH DUAL CORE 3.GHZ AND NO GRAPHIC CARD (ATI RADEON 1150 EXPRES, WITH 1GB OF RAM,

AND I COULD USE CINEMA 4D LIKE A PRO. DONT KNOW HOW.

AND WHEN I DO IT ON MY LAPTOP , 3GB RAM, ATI RADEON HD 3200, AND 2.0GHZ IT WONT RUN AS GOOD AS I TOUGH.

I DONT KNOW WHY IS THE REASON.

SO ALL I KNOW IF I BUY THE GATEWAY AND BUILD IT A LITLE BY PIECES, IT WILL HELP UNTIL NEXT YEAR OR 2 MORE YEARS, TRUST ME MY COUSIN EVEN PLAY S4 LEAGUE WITH THE NO GRAPHIC CARD COMPUTER. I AM STILL INPRESS ON HOW IT CANT VIEW HD VIDEOS ON YOUTUBE AND OR VIMEO AND THE LAPTOP CANT.
m
l
April 8, 2012 10:54:07 AM

juniiflow said:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GATEWAY-LX6810-INTEL-CORE-2-QUA...

CHECK THIS ONE OUT.

AND YES, BUT I JUST BOUGH SOME PIECE OF CVRAP PC, WITH DUAL CORE 3.GHZ AND NO GRAPHIC CARD (ATI RADEON 1150 EXPRES, WITH 1GB OF RAM,

AND I COULD USE CINEMA 4D LIKE A PRO. DONT KNOW HOW.

AND WHEN I DO IT ON MY LAPTOP , 3GB RAM, ATI RADEON HD 3200, AND 2.0GHZ IT WONT RUN AS GOOD AS I TOUGH.

I DONT KNOW WHY IS THE REASON.

SO ALL I KNOW IF I BUY THE GATEWAY AND BUILD IT A LITLE BY PIECES, IT WILL HELP UNTIL NEXT YEAR OR 2 MORE YEARS, TRUST ME MY COUSIN EVEN PLAY S4 LEAGUE WITH THE NO GRAPHIC CARD COMPUTER. I AM STILL INPRESS ON HOW IT CANT VIEW HD VIDEOS ON YOUTUBE AND OR VIMEO AND THE LAPTOP CANT.

This computer will run Cinema 4d just fine that processor , cinema 4d only uses the graphics card for the complexity of the scene. For gaming it would be a little on the slow side due to the graphics card but that can always be upgraded in the future.
m
l
!