GT430 64bit vs Intel 2000 HD

Johndong888

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
So exactly like what the title asks. I accidentally purchased a 64-bit version of GT430. Debating whether to keep it or just use my Intel 2000 HD on my Core i5 2400.

The WEI score is 5.0 for Intel 2000 and 4.9 for the 64bit GT430.

Thanks

Solution
well, the obvious thought is to try photoshop on the HD2000 and see if that does the trick for you. I think it probably will do the trick if the most demanding thing is occasional photoshop. The HD2000 really isnt all that bad for integrated graphics.

The WEI is more concerned with the tech level of your hardware, not necessarily the speed or performance of that hardware. For example, a duel core CPU will ALWAYS get a lower score than a quad core, even if you are matching up an old slow quad core to a overclocked duel core that will run circles around the quad in most day-to-day use. Or a newer slow GPU will beat out a faster old one if the slow one supports DX11 and the fast one does not. In this case the HD2000 is slower but...

Johndong888

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011

{edit} sorry forgot to mention, this card will be used for no games. Just basic office work with the rare Photoshopping need. Thanks again

well, the obvious thought is to try photoshop on the HD2000 and see if that does the trick for you. I think it probably will do the trick if the most demanding thing is occasional photoshop. The HD2000 really isnt all that bad for integrated graphics.

The WEI is more concerned with the tech level of your hardware, not necessarily the speed or performance of that hardware. For example, a duel core CPU will ALWAYS get a lower score than a quad core, even if you are matching up an old slow quad core to a overclocked duel core that will run circles around the quad in most day-to-day use. Or a newer slow GPU will beat out a faster old one if the slow one supports DX11 and the fast one does not. In this case the HD2000 is slower but more modern, and the 430 is a little older but a little faster.

Also, the 64bit is the ram bandwidth of the onboard memory. there is not a huge difference between the 64bit bus and the 128bit bus as it is a low end GPU. I would likely return it and stick with the onboard graphics just from a simplicity standpoint. Sure the 430 is probably a little better, but it is one more fan, one more card, and a little more juice for a very marginal performance gain.

Instead of the GPU you should return it and get an SSD on sale if you dont already have one. It will open those office apps instantly, and dramatically cut down that photoshop load time ;)

Solution

Johndong888

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
Caedenv, Thanks for the quick response.

I already purchased a SSD a while back and it is much, much faster :) The only reason I am asking was because the GT 430 was only 30 bucks but only after installing did i realize it was a 64bit one.

The card is already past the point of return so should I use it instead? Is it indeed better than the integrated HD 2000?