How can I remove "Log Off" from the Start Menu?

Hello,

I'm using XP sp2, and cannot seem to remove the "Log Off" from the Start
Menu. I tried two registry adjustments to
[HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer], but
neither of them worked (NoLogOff dword 1 didn't work, and StartMenuLogoff
isn't an allowed value (it exists elsewhere).

I'm new to XP from 2000, so my normal routine isn't working for me. Any
suggestions on how to remove this would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon
7 answers Last reply
More about remove start menu

    Hi

    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer

    0(Zero) = Show Log Off
    1 = No Log Off

    --

    Will Denny
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Jon Danniken" <jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm using XP sp2, and cannot seem to remove the "Log Off" from the Start
    > Menu. I tried two registry adjustments to
    > [HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer], but
    > neither of them worked (NoLogOff dword 1 didn't work, and StartMenuLogoff
    > isn't an allowed value (it exists elsewhere).
    >
    > I'm new to XP from 2000, so my normal routine isn't working for me. Any
    > suggestions on how to remove this would be most appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jon

    Thanks for your response, Will, but unfortunately I already tried that
    before I made my initial post. I used the "NoLogOff" value of 1 in
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    but it has no effect.

    While I haven't performed this on an XP machine before, I have never had a
    problem before with about a dozen installs of Win2000.

    The
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies
    branch does not exist; there is a "..\policies\" (small "p") branch, but
    there is no "Exlorer" in it.

    Oddly enough, while investigating, I found the following branch:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartMenu\StartMenu\StartMenuLogoff,
    but I am unsure as to what the nine keys contained therein do. They do seem
    to indicate that there is a "checked value" determination, which would
    suggest that there is a form somewhere with a button to check to
    enable/disable the "Log Off", but I do not know where this is.

    Any further suggestions will be most appreciated,

    Jon

    "Will Denny" wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    >
    > 0(Zero) = Show Log Off
    > 1 = No Log Off
    >

    > "Jon Danniken" wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I'm using XP sp2, and cannot seem to remove the "Log Off" from the Start
    >> Menu. I tried two registry adjustments to
    >> [HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer], but
    >> neither of them worked (NoLogOff dword 1 didn't work, and
    >> StartMenuLogoff isn't an allowed value (it exists elsewhere).
    >>
    >> I'm new to XP from 2000, so my normal routine isn't working for me. Any
    >> suggestions on how to remove this would be most appreciated.

    Hi

    What, if any, entries have you got for:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartMenu\StartMenu\StartMenuLogoff\Policy\ForceStartMenuLogoff

    --

    > Thanks for your response, Will, but unfortunately I already tried that
    > before I made my initial post. I used the "NoLogOff" value of 1 in
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    > but it has no effect.
    >
    > While I haven't performed this on an XP machine before, I have never had a
    > problem before with about a dozen installs of Win2000.
    >
    > The
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies
    > branch does not exist; there is a "..\policies\" (small "p") branch, but
    > there is no "Exlorer" in it.
    >
    > Oddly enough, while investigating, I found the following branch:
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartMenu\StartMenu\StartMenuLogoff,
    > but I am unsure as to what the nine keys contained therein do. They do
    > seem to indicate that there is a "checked value" determination, which
    > would suggest that there is a form somewhere with a button to check to
    > enable/disable the "Log Off", but I do not know where this is.
    >
    > Any further suggestions will be most appreciated,
    >
    > Jon
    >

    > "Will Denny" wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    >>
    >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    >>
    >> 0(Zero) = Show Log Off
    >> 1 = No Log Off
    >>

    >> "Jon Danniken" wrote:
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> I'm using XP sp2, and cannot seem to remove the "Log Off" from the Start
    >>> Menu. I tried two registry adjustments to
    >>> [HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer], but
    >>> neither of them worked (NoLogOff dword 1 didn't work, and
    >>> StartMenuLogoff isn't an allowed value (it exists elsewhere).
    >>>
    >>> I'm new to XP from 2000, so my normal routine isn't working for me. Any
    >>> suggestions on how to remove this would be most appreciated.

    Hey Will,

    I looked in there, but I don't have any entries in there.

    In any case, I was finally able to set DWORD "StartMenuLogoff" with a
    value of "1" in
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    and now the annoying "Log Off" is gone. I don't know why it wouldn't let me
    set it before, but for whatever reason it's working a treat now.

    I'm still curious about the apparant radio button that exists somewhere, but
    I'll have to defer that curiousity for now (unless you know a way to
    directly access windows.hlp#51133)

    Thanks a ton for spending the time with me on this one, Will, I do
    appreciate that very much.

    Jon

    "Will Denny" wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > What, if any, entries have you got for:
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartMenu\StartMenu\StartMenuLogoff\Policy\ForceStartMenuLogoff
    >

    > "Jon Danniken" wrote:
    >> Thanks for your response, Will, but unfortunately I already tried that
    >> before I made my initial post. I used the "NoLogOff" value of 1 in
    >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    >> but it has no effect.
    >>
    >> While I haven't performed this on an XP machine before, I have never had
    >> a problem before with about a dozen installs of Win2000.
    >>
    >> The
    >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies
    >> branch does not exist; there is a "..\policies\" (small "p") branch, but
    >> there is no "Exlorer" in it.
    >>
    >> Oddly enough, while investigating, I found the following branch:
    >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartMenu\StartMenu\StartMenuLogoff,
    >> but I am unsure as to what the nine keys contained therein do. They do
    >> seem to indicate that there is a "checked value" determination, which
    >> would suggest that there is a form somewhere with a button to check to
    >> enable/disable the "Log Off", but I do not know where this is.
    >>
    >> Any further suggestions will be most appreciated,
    >>
    >> Jon
    >>

    >> "Will Denny" wrote:
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    >>>
    >>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    >>>
    >>> 0(Zero) = Show Log Off
    >>> 1 = No Log Off

    Hi

    There is a very good Registry site at www.winguides.com - you may get the
    info. you need from there.

    --

    Will Denny
    MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups

    "Jon Danniken" <jonREMOVETHISdanniken@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks for your response, Will, but unfortunately I already tried that
    > before I made my initial post. I used the "NoLogOff" value of 1 in
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    > but it has no effect.
    >
    > While I haven't performed this on an XP machine before, I have never had a
    > problem before with about a dozen installs of Win2000.
    >
    > The
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies
    > branch does not exist; there is a "..\policies\" (small "p") branch, but
    > there is no "Exlorer" in it.
    >
    > Oddly enough, while investigating, I found the following branch:
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartMenu\StartMenu\StartMenuLogoff,
    > but I am unsure as to what the nine keys contained therein do. They do
    > seem to indicate that there is a "checked value" determination, which
    > would suggest that there is a form somewhere with a button to check to
    > enable/disable the "Log Off", but I do not know where this is.
    >
    > Any further suggestions will be most appreciated,
    >
    > Jon
    >

    > "Will Denny" wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    >>
    >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    >>
    >> 0(Zero) = Show Log Off
    >> 1 = No Log Off
    >>

    >> "Jon Danniken" wrote:
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> I'm using XP sp2, and cannot seem to remove the "Log Off" from the Start
    >>> Menu. I tried two registry adjustments to
    >>> [HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer], but
    >>> neither of them worked (NoLogOff dword 1 didn't work, and
    >>> StartMenuLogoff isn't an allowed value (it exists elsewhere).
    >>>
    >>> I'm new to XP from 2000, so my normal routine isn't working for me. Any
    >>> suggestions on how to remove this would be most appreciated.

    You're welcome Jon - glad to help and thanks for the feedback.

    --

    > Hey Will,
    >
    > I looked in there, but I don't have any entries in there.
    >
    > In any case, I was finally able to set DWORD "StartMenuLogoff" with a
    > value of "1" in
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    > and now the annoying "Log Off" is gone. I don't know why it wouldn't let
    > me set it before, but for whatever reason it's working a treat now.
    >
    > I'm still curious about the apparant radio button that exists somewhere,
    > but I'll have to defer that curiousity for now (unless you know a way to
    > directly access windows.hlp#51133)
    >
    > Thanks a ton for spending the time with me on this one, Will, I do
    > appreciate that very much.
    >
    > Jon
    >

    > "Will Denny" wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> What, if any, entries have you got for:
    >>
    >> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartMenu\StartMenu\StartMenuLogoff\Policy\ForceStartMenuLogoff
    >>

    >> "Jon Danniken" wrote:
    >>> Thanks for your response, Will, but unfortunately I already tried that
    >>> before I made my initial post. I used the "NoLogOff" value of 1 in
    >>> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    >>> but it has no effect.
    >>>
    >>> While I haven't performed this on an XP machine before, I have never had
    >>> a problem before with about a dozen installs of Win2000.
    >>>
    >>> The
    >>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies
    >>> branch does not exist; there is a "..\policies\" (small "p") branch, but
    >>> there is no "Exlorer" in it.
    >>>
    >>> Oddly enough, while investigating, I found the following branch:
    >>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\StartMenu\StartMenu\StartMenuLogoff,
    >>> but I am unsure as to what the nine keys contained therein do. They do
    >>> seem to indicate that there is a "checked value" determination, which
    >>> would suggest that there is a form somewhere with a button to check to
    >>> enable/disable the "Log Off", but I do not know where this is.
    >>>
    >>> Any further suggestions will be most appreciated,
    >>>
    >>> Jon

    Jon,

    This works fine for me:

    [HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    StartMenuLogoff (REG_DWORD) to 1

    Policy Settings for the Start Menu in Windows XP:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;292504

    StartMenuLogOff:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/default.asp?url=/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/regentry/92884.asp

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Window XP Shell/User

    "Will Denny" wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    >
    > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
    >
    > 0(Zero) = Show Log Off
    > 1 = No Log Off
    >

    > "Jon Danniken" wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I'm using XP sp2, and cannot seem to remove the "Log Off" from the Start
    >> Menu. I tried two registry adjustments to
    >> [HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer], but
    >> neither of them worked (NoLogOff dword 1 didn't work, and
    >> StartMenuLogoff isn't an allowed value (it exists elsewhere).
    >>
    >> I'm new to XP from 2000, so my normal routine isn't working for me. Any
    >> suggestions on how to remove this would be most appreciated.

Configuration Microsoft Windows XP