Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Which cards are above my gts 8800 640MB OC?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 1, 2011 5:47:24 PM

I'd like some kind of hierarchy of cards from both amd & Nvidia. There has been so many new cards released since I purchased mine, that I'm not sure which would give me a significant boost, and which ones wouldn't be even worth the money, even though they were released after my card with some higher number in their name than mine is.
Let's say my budget is up to ~$200.00. Thx

my current sys is i5 2500K
ripjaws 8GB
and MSI P67A-C43
and of course the above mentioned BFG gts 8800 640MB OC

More about : cards gts 8800 640mb

a c 189 U Graphics card
November 2, 2011 12:56:02 AM

^+1
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 2, 2011 1:06:55 AM

^+2 .... for $200 you will get something that is several times faster than your current card.

Here's a hierarchy chart which is correct for the most part. The 560ti is several tiers higher than the 8800gts 640 mb, which is as fast as a HD5570 - a low end card out now.
m
0
l
a c 172 U Graphics card
November 2, 2011 1:08:33 AM

you will want to get at least a 6850 or gtx460 to make it a worth while upgrade. Im happy with my 6850 which i upgraded from an 8800gts 640. so AMD 6850, 6870, 6950 or nvidia gtx460, gtx560, gtx560ti, depending how much you want to spend.
m
0
l
November 2, 2011 1:21:22 AM

iam2thecrowe said:
you will want to get at least a 6850 or gtx460 to make it a worth while upgrade. Im happy with my 6850 which i upgraded from an 8800gts 640. so AMD 6850, 6870, 6950 or nvidia gtx460, gtx560, gtx560ti, depending how much you want to spend.


In your opinion what would be the percentage gain over the gts8800? Thx
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 2, 2011 2:32:15 AM

best way to get an idea of how good of an boost a new card will be over a old one get is to simply look at benchmarks.

What games do you currently play?

Any of those cards mentioned will give you a significant boost in performance.
m
0
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
November 2, 2011 2:39:09 AM

get a gtx 560 ti or HD6950 if it's in your budget, if not get the 6870/or gtx 560.

These will all produce huge performance increase.

A 8800gts 640mb (approx equivalent to a 5570/5670 of now) is about 25-35% performance of a 560ti.
source: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_5...
Share
a c 109 U Graphics card
November 2, 2011 2:46:13 AM

Wait until the new upgrade of the 560ti's?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 2, 2011 3:00:19 AM

what do you mean new upgrade? do you mean the gtx600s ? when would that be?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
November 2, 2011 3:45:20 AM

amirp said:
what do you mean new upgrade? do you mean the gtx600s ? when would that be?



no basically what Nvidia is going to do is a sort of mini update to the cards to make them a bit faster, im not sure what exactly they are going to upgrade about the card but its worth noting
m
0
l
a c 1401 U Graphics card
November 2, 2011 6:54:06 AM

The upgrade is coming and will most likely involve price increase because of the increase in performance! Nothing is free!
m
0
l
November 2, 2011 12:37:10 PM

amirp said:
get a gtx 560 ti or HD6950 if it's in your budget, if not get the 6870/or gtx 560.

These will all produce huge performance increase.

A 8800gts 640mb (approx equivalent to a 5570/5670 of now) is about 25-35% performance of a 560ti.
source: http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_5...



Yoiks! I had no idea my card is THAT outdated! It still pulls all the games easily (seems like) maybe because I don't exactly play the newest (far cry 2, bioshock2, L4D2 - lots of catching up after cpu upgrade) But I had no idea that it's a 1/4 performance of todays cards!
Thx for the link that puts in certain perspective.
m
0
l
November 9, 2011 7:04:13 PM

Best answer selected by gr0bda.
m
0
l
!