I5 2500k Overheating fast

maturn89

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
Hello
I have a brand new rig I put together, it was a bare bones kit on tiger direct. link here http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1409689&cm_re=TLC-_-Header%20Banner-_-Barebones_B96-1373
I also added an additional 8 gigs of ram for the hell of it because it came bundled with my windows 7.

So its specs are as followed
-Intel Core i5-2500K 3.30GHz Quad-Core Unlocked CPU
-GIGABYTE Intel Z68 Motherboard
- 2x Patriot 4GB DDR3-1333MHz G2 Desktop Memory Module
- 2x Corsair CMX4GX3M1A1333C9 XMS3 4GB DDR3 RAM - PC10666, 1333MHz, 4096MB
-Thermal take V3 Black Edition Mid Tower Cas
-Gigabyte Radeon HD 6870 OverClocked 1GB GDDR5
-Diablotek PSDA600 DA Series 600W ATX Power Supply
-Sony Optiarc AD7280S-OB 24x DVDRW Drive
-Seagate Barracuda 1TB Hard Drive

Everything is stock and I have not touched a single setting.
I was playing swtor upon completing build, and after about 5 mins it froze and crashed, so i proceeded to download many programs like everest, speed fan, etc.... to check temps, and this is what im recording.
my Motherbored runs about 25c
cpu 20-25c
cpu#1 29-34
cpu#2 29-34
cpu#3 29-34
cpu#4 29-34
aux- 30c
cpu fans 63-71rpm

then when i run the stress test it reads
after 3 min

motherbored 25c
cpu 85-87c
cpu#1 93-97c
cpu#2 96-98c
cpu#3 95-97c
cpu#4 95-98c
aux 30c
cpu fans 63-70rpm

and may go up another c or 2 as it goes on,
also around 5 mins the test in everest says the cpu is throttling 2%-5% it just jumps from 2 to 5, 2 to 5

I decided to take the heat sink off and try wiping away the thermal paste that was included and applying cooler master high performance thermal past to cpu and reseating the heatsink,made sure all 4 pins snapped and tried again, same results as before, retried processes again with same results.

any ideals/suggestions?
this is driving me insane, i spent a pretty penny on all of this.

wavetrex

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
That's probably bad contact ( or no contact at all ) between the CPU and the CPU heatsink.

No way overclocking could overheat that much.

I suggest you dissasemble the heatsink, get some good paste and make sure you place it correctly on the CPU...

Throttling can only save it so much... eventually it will burn out if you continue.

maturn89

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
Everything in the pc is stock i have not overclocked or changed anything, the fan that is on the heatsink is the stock. I have disconnected the heatsink and reapplied the thermal paste 3 times now, and am 100% sure that the pins are snapping into place and there is a secure connection to the cpu.

from your posting looks like the cpu cooler has a bad fan or fan controller. I would check that you plugged the cpu fan into the fan header and check in the bios to see what the fan set up is. i would look at the fan and see if it spinning at all or real slow.
the cpu fan should be raming up to it max speed as the cpu is loaded and not stay the same speed.

1tym

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008

Do yourself a favor and get a new powersupply too. Seasonic, Corsair, Antec, XFX are more trustworthy brands and are of better quality. Last thing you want is your powersupply failing and adding more problems.

If I were you I would take the motherboard out of the case reseat the heatsink making sure the pins have passed through the holes to the back, breadboard the motherboard and check temps with the program RealTemp. Good luck

maturn89

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
I triple checked and my fan is hooked up and correctly :).
check in the bios to see what the fan set up is??
what should the fan setup be?
the fan doesnt seem to be zooming but isnt going crazy slow either.
when i run stress test, it doesnt look like it speeds up although speedfan claims it is.

I tried taking motherbored out and reseating the heatsink that way and am 100% sure it is right, still same results.