BF3 Freezing, Nvidia 480GTX

Status
Not open for further replies.

daigaurd

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
Hello I recently got BF3 for PC and it keeps freezing. (Sound loop, unable to alt tab, have to shut my computer down manually)

My specs...
I7 930 @ 3.3ghz (OC'd)
eVGA x58 SLI LE mobo
eVGA Nvidia 480gtx driver version 285.62
2 wd velociraptor 10K RPM raid 0
6gb gskill 1333mhz ram, 2 3x1gb triple channel
windows 7 ultimate OEM

I don't think it is an overheating issue, I ran an hour long burn in test with furmark and while it did reach 104C after about 15 minutes, it stayed at that temperature for the remainder of the test and did not overheat. I've been reading that clock speeds may be causing issues with the new nvidia drivers so I've included a GPU-Z report.

lolz.gif

Any ideas?

daigaurd

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
Also forgot to mention: It only seems to happen in multiplayer. I played the entire single player campaign with no problem. Seems to happen at random intervals. But generally at least once within an hour.

akaJackTurner

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
I am having this same issue. I tweaked my card with afterburner, brought my core down to 756 MHZ, cranked up fan by 85%, and went into nVidia settings and turned Vsync to force on. I also brought my in game settings down to medium. Seems to work okay however if I do not leave the game after the medals screen when waiting for a new map to load, it will do the same freeze with sound loop and I have to restart comp. So basically we can play a round, then leave game and join another. LAME.

chitzkoy

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2011
Try running on default Nvidia settings first. I can run BF3 smoothly at 1600x900 with high settings without problems. Did you use driver sweeper before installing the new Nvidia driver?

My specs...
I7 930 @ 4.0ghz (OC'd)
GA X58A-UD3R
MSI NGTX 460 Cyclone with driver version 285.62
6GB Corsair Dominator RAM
windows 7 ultimate OEM
WD 320GB Caviar Blue

dee99

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
I had same problem, just play on a non-punkbuster server, or disable your sound card. I have tested these and they both work for some reason. The devs are working on fixing this issue.

G

I have the fix to all the crashes in bf3 :)
Make sure to close down bf3 and origin! Origin must not be running!! Then go to your control panel, and press remove program, mark punkbuster, and delete punkbuster. A popup window appers, press finish. Then Reboot your computer. Start Origin, and then RIGHT-CLIK on bf3, and choce repair. Let it do it`s thing, and when finish, the game runs perfectly :)

Spreed the word :)

G

I have the fix to all the crashes in bf3 :)
Make sure to close down bf3 and origin! Origin must not be running!! Then go to your control panel, and press remove program, mark punkbuster, and delete punkbuster. A popup window appers, press finish. Then Reboot your computer. Start Origin, and then RIGHT-CLIK on bf3, and choce repair. Let it do it`s thing, and when finish, the game runs perfectly :)

Spreed the word :)

lun4tic

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I'm having this same exact problem. I'm running an i7 930 4GHz, GTX 570, and 12GB of RAM, on an Asus Sabertooth x58 motherboard. When the crash occurs the entire PC locks up, is unresponsive, and the speakers play a loop buzz. It's so frustrating.

I've switched out everything except for the CPU to test the issue, and it still occurs. I can switch out the GTX 570 for a GTS 450, same thing. The three 4GB sticks of one brand for three 2GB stick of another, same thing. I even switched everything from Gigabyte's UD3R to Asus's Sabertooth, and same thing. Of course, I've also upgraded my power supply; same thing...

I've increased voltages, relaxed timings, and I still get this crash. I used to get it with League of Legends and SC2, but I don't seem to have this issue with LoL anymore and I haven't played SC2 in the longest time.

daigaurd

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011

Hmm is your I7 930 running OC'd? It seems everyone posting in this thread having this exact issue is running an i7 930 OC'd. Has anyone tried turning the clocks down to stock on their CPU? I'm going to try this when I get home from work.

Edit derp of course your OC'd you said 4GHz at the start LOL. Like i said Im going to try this when i get home and let you guys know

Nye180

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011

Tried it. To clarify, he means select battlefield from WITHIN ORIGIN, right-click and click repair. Origin then realises punk buster is gone, and re-downloads it (approx 200mb).

It's all irrelevant though, because it didn't solve the problem. Please keep posting in this thread, hopefully we can get a solution. Also, I might be crazy but it seems like the people that have the specific problem of still being able to ctrl + alt + del out to task manager and close the failed bf3 that has gone to white screen, well, most (myself included) seem to be running windows 7 64-bit. I don't know that that's a cause, but i thought i saw it as a pattern..

cheers,

N

Status
Not open for further replies.