Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How Truly Bad/Evident Is Micro Stutter

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 1, 2011 7:29:12 PM

Hello All,

I thought I had my decision made but now I'm 2nd and triple guessing myself. I was pretty set on a Crossfire setup with some 6950's or Nvidia SLI counterpart until I started reading more about Micro Stutter.

Aside from Tom's article on it, I'm interested to hear from those of you that run Crossfire/SLI, if Micro Stutter really is as bad or obvious as it is reported or if its just one of those things that happens from time to time?

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks!

Best solution

November 30, 2011 9:54:44 PM

Well, all I can really tell you is what worked for me. when I was originally looking to build my system I wanted a video card at least as powerful as a GTX 580. After reading some reviews about how two HD 6870's in Crossfire bested the 580 in most games for about 2/3 the price I went for it.

With the HD 6870's in CF Micro stutter was noticeable, sometimes very noticeable. After reading about a possible solution I gave it a try. I created a 4GB Ram Disk, disabled the paging file an all other drives and dedicated the entire Ram Disk to a Paging file, except for the tiny amount win 7 requires you to keep free.

This has completely eliminated all Micro Stutter as well as the occasional dropouts where my frame rate would almost bottom out (worse than a Micro Stutter).

The program is called "Dataram RAMDisk v3.5" and it's free as well as being completely certified by windows for Win 7 64bit and many others.

So yes, there is a greater risk of Micro Stutter with 2 cards. How bad of a risk depends on your system and choice of cards but, that doesn't mean it cant be dealt with.

For the solution I outlined you do need to have an extra 4GB of ram to dedicate to the Ram disk and even then I cant guarantee it will work for you, Just that it worked great for me. :D 
November 30, 2011 10:16:03 PM

Thanks for the belated response. Since you are the only one to respond, I suppose you get the best answer.

I have gone with a single 6950 and unlocked the extra shaders. Based on your experience and what I've read since posting this question, when its time for a graphics upgrade, I'll be getting a 6970 to crossfire with and overclocking the 6950 to match.
Score
November 30, 2011 10:16:18 PM

Best answer selected by merloin.
Score
!