Dual core Intel Core i5 CPU
Mobile Intel HD Graphics GPU
4 GB of physical RAM
Toshiba MK5065GSXN 450 GB Hard Drive

CPU-Z says that my motherboard has the following:
Chipset - Intel - Sandy Bridge - Rev: 09
Southbridge - Intel - HM65 - Rev: B2
LPCIO - SMSC

Now, I know a little bit about computers, but not much. I'm planning on buying the following:
Solid State Drive: OCZ Vertex 3 120GB
Video Card: EITHER nvidia geforce gtx 690 OR amd radeon hd 6990
and 8-12 GB of RAM.

If you need any more information, let me know. I would like to know if I need a new motherboard and, if so, which one should I get specifically.
If you have any other comments or suggestions on what I plan on buying or anything else, please let me know.
Thank you in advance.

On a different topic, would it be recommended to get a new CPU as well? Is the Intel i7 3960X @ 4.2Ghz a good choice?

More about : motherboard

a b å Intel
a c 137 V Motherboard
April 8, 2012 5:24:28 PM

hoorayforfood said:
Hi!
I have a Sony Vaio VPCSB11FX.
My current specifications (specs) are:
Dual core Intel Core i5 CPU
Mobile Intel HD Graphics GPU
4 GB of physical RAM
Toshiba MK5065GSXN 450 GB Hard Drive

CPU-Z says that my motherboard has the following:
Chipset - Intel - Sandy Bridge - Rev: 09
Southbridge - Intel - HM65 - Rev: B2
LPCIO - SMSC

Now, I know a little bit about computers, but not much. I'm planning on buying the following:
Solid State Drive: OCZ Vertex 3 120GB
Video Card: EITHER nvidia geforce gtx 690 OR amd radeon hd 6990
and 8-12 GB of RAM.

If you need any more information, let me know. I would like to know if I need a new motherboard and, if so, which one should I get specifically.
If you have any other comments or suggestions on what I plan on buying or anything else, please let me know.
Thank you in advance.

On a different topic, would it be recommended to get a new CPU as well? Is the Intel i7 3960X @ 4.2Ghz a good choice?

Since that's a laptop, you will not be able to upgrade the motherboard, CPU or GPU. You CAN however add memory (4 more GB for that particular model) and put a different HDD in it. You could put a SSD in it, if you want, but since you can only have one drive at a time, it would be more expensive than it's worth to get one large enough, unless you want to get an external HDD for storage. Keep in mind that both the memory and HDD have to be made for laptops because desktop components won't fit.
m
l
April 8, 2012 5:55:36 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Since that's a laptop, you will not be able to upgrade the motherboard, CPU or GPU. You CAN however add memory (4 more GB for that particular model) and put a different HDD in it. You could put a SSD in it, if you want, but since you can only have one drive at a time, it would be more expensive than it's worth to get one large enough, unless you want to get an external HDD for storage. Keep in mind that both the memory and HDD have to be made for laptops because desktop components won't fit.

Wow, this is new to me... I can't upgrade to any other GPU? I just found out that I also have an AMD Radeon HD 6470m by the way.
So what you're saying is that I will not be able to replace my GPU, CPU or motherboard? Wow... Not even a mobile version? Those made for laptops?
I'm only getting the SSD because I've been told it smooths out gaming and saving. I do have an external HDD for storage. I don't think I'll be buying a new HDD, I'm fine with the one I have. It would be awesome to know if I can replace my graphics card though. Can't I uninstall and remove my Mobile Intel HD Graphics GPU and replace it for something else?
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
April 8, 2012 6:25:12 PM

Can't I uninstall and remove my Mobile Intel HD Graphics GPU and replace it for something else?[/quotemsg]

Hi :) 

No ...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
April 8, 2012 6:43:39 PM

OK. Final two questions:
1) Is there anything I can upgrade?
2) Can you recommend a second battery to add to my laptop? I was told to get a Lithium Ion battery, but I'd like a good suggestion. Thanks!
m
l
a b V Motherboard
April 8, 2012 8:02:40 PM

You already have a Lithium Ion battery lol...

m
l
a b V Motherboard
April 8, 2012 8:54:04 PM

Replacing your HDD with an SSD completely transforms your laptop, and you can fit your HDD into your optical drive bay with one of these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2nd-SATA-Hard-Drive-Caddy-Ada...
At least I think this is the right one for you. Best check the dimensions tho!
m
l

Best solution

a b å Intel
a c 137 V Motherboard
April 9, 2012 12:21:10 AM

+1 to dodger. I didn't even think of something like that. If it (or something like it) will fit, that would definitely be the way to go to use a HDD along with the SSD. Of course, that assumes that you don't care to use your optical drive, since that would replace it. And to answer the question of what else you CAN upgrade, as I already told you, you can add another 4 GB of RAM. On the product page, it doesn't say exactly, so I'm not sure if that would be another 4 GB module in an open slot, or if it would have to be a 8 GB module in the existing slot, so you'll just have to check and see.
a b V Motherboard
April 9, 2012 9:39:11 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
+1 to dodger. I didn't even think of something like that. If it (or something like it) will fit, that would definitely be the way to go to use a HDD along with the SSD. Of course, that assumes that you don't care to use your optical drive, since that would replace it. And to answer the question of what else you CAN upgrade, as I already told you, you can add another 4 GB of RAM. On the product page, it doesn't say exactly, so I'm not sure if that would be another 4 GB module in an open slot, or if it would have to be a 8 GB module in the existing slot, so you'll just have to check and see.

Both Offtek and Crucial claim a max of 8Gig RAM supported, but there is only one slot, and neither offer an 8Gig stick!
m
l
April 10, 2012 9:50:28 PM

OK, thank you all. This really helped. One more thing, though. I'm going to be playing games off Steam, and maybe modding a few. Do you think that the SSD is worth it?

dodger46 said:
Replacing your HDD with an SSD completely transforms your laptop, and you can fit your HDD into your optical drive bay with one of these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2nd-SATA-Hard-Drive-Caddy-Ada...
At least I think this is the right one for you. Best check the dimensions tho!

And what exactly does a HDD caddy do?
m
l
April 10, 2012 9:56:36 PM

Brett928S2 said:

You already have a Lithium Ion battery lol...

Right, but where can I get a second one and is there one you recommend?
m
l
April 10, 2012 9:57:15 PM

Best answer selected by hoorayforfood.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
April 11, 2012 7:43:32 AM

hoorayforfood said:
OK, thank you all. This really helped. One more thing, though. I'm going to be playing games off Steam, and maybe modding a few. Do you think that the SSD is worth it?

And what exactly does a HDD caddy do?

Having replaced your HDD with an SSD your programmes will load and run like lightning as access to info is many times faster. Meanwhile you only have 120 Gig to play with for storage, so once you've loaded all games/progs on to the SSD you remove the Optical Drive and replace it with a caddy which then allows you to fit your HDD in it's place and use it for storage/saved games etc. I just did the same to an HP G61 and it now boots to desktop in less than 30 secs and loads Ie in a second...
m
l
!