a835...is this legal?

Last response: in Technologies
June 22, 2004 12:04:19 PM

Hi there, recently myhome was burgled & i lost a shed load of gear,
stereo,tv etc & my motorola A835. The phone was deactivated shortly after
being stolen, but now I have had the phone returned. I can't get it to work,
even though I have a new phone (A835), can I change the IMEI
number..willthis allow the phone to work again or is it permanatley dead!!!!
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards & TIA
MT

More about : a835 legal

Anonymous
June 23, 2004 12:38:12 AM

Mac Tabak wrote:
> Hi there, recently myhome was burgled & i lost a shed load of gear,
> stereo,tv etc & my motorola A835. The phone was deactivated shortly after
> being stolen, but now I have had the phone returned. I can't get it to work,
> even though I have a new phone (A835), can I change the IMEI
> number..willthis allow the phone to work again or is it permanatley dead!!!!
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Regards & TIA
> MT

Contact your Service Provider and have the IMEI number removed from the
Black list.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM.
Anonymous
June 23, 2004 12:38:13 AM

"VK3XEM" <vk3xem@vk3xem.net> wrote in message
> Mac Tabak wrote:
> > Hi there, recently myhome was burgled & i lost a shed load of gear,
> > stereo,tv etc & my motorola A835. The phone was deactivated shortly
after
> > being stolen, but now I have had the phone returned. I can't get it to
work,
> > even though I have a new phone (A835), can I change the IMEI
> > number..willthis allow the phone to work again or is it permanatley
dead!!!!
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Regards & TIA
> > MT
> >

> Contact your Service Provider and have the IMEI number removed from the
> Black list.
>

> 73 de Simon, VK3XEM.

for a moment there simon I thought you were going to send me
dah-dah-dah-di-dit dah-dah-dah-di-dit's ;) )))) Good to see a fellow ham
answering my pleafor help. I would do that but then my insurance company
will get shirty, it's a long winded story but maybe my last resort!!!!
do you know if I can change the IMEI & will this cure the problem???? Have
searched the net,but can't find this out :(

Regards
Mac
EX:G0TXK
June 23, 2004 12:38:14 AM

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 12:49:25 +0100, Mac Tabak wrote:

> "VK3XEM" <vk3xem@vk3xem.net> wrote in message
>> Mac Tabak wrote:
>> > Hi there, recently myhome was burgled & i lost a shed load of gear,
>> > stereo,tv etc & my motorola A835. The phone was deactivated shortly
> after
>> > being stolen, but now I have had the phone returned. I can't get it to
> work,
>> > even though I have a new phone (A835), can I change the IMEI
>> > number..willthis allow the phone to work again or is it permanatley
> dead!!!!
>> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>> >
>> > Regards & TIA
>> > MT
>> >

>> Contact your Service Provider and have the IMEI number removed from the
>> Black list.
>>

>> 73 de Simon, VK3XEM.
>

> for a moment there simon I thought you were going to send me
> dah-dah-dah-di-dit dah-dah-dah-di-dit's ;) )))) Good to see a fellow ham
> answering my pleafor help. I would do that but then my insurance company
> will get shirty,

Only if you or your service-provider told them. Have you got the insurance
payout cheque yet ?

> it's a long winded story but maybe my last resort!!!!
> do you know if I can change the IMEI & will this cure the problem???? Have
> searched the net,but can't find this out :(

Changing a phone's IMEI is most definately illegal (upto 5 years in
prison), and is virtually impossible on some handsets, e.g. Nokia DCT4.

--
Michael Turner ( --. ----- -- . -- )
Email (ROT13)

Mac Tabak wrote:
> "VK3XEM" <vk3xem@vk3xem.net> wrote in message
>
>>Mac Tabak wrote:
>>
>>>Hi there, recently myhome was burgled & i lost a shed load of gear,
>>>stereo,tv etc & my motorola A835. The phone was deactivated shortly
>
> after
>
>>>being stolen, but now I have had the phone returned. I can't get it to
>
> work,
>
>>>even though I have a new phone (A835), can I change the IMEI
>>>number..willthis allow the phone to work again or is it permanatley
>
> dead!!!!
>
>>>Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>>Regards & TIA
>>>MT
>>>

>>Contact your Service Provider and have the IMEI number removed from the
>>Black list.
>>

>>73 de Simon, VK3XEM.
>

> for a moment there simon I thought you were going to send me
> dah-dah-dah-di-dit dah-dah-dah-di-dit's ;) )))) Good to see a fellow ham
> answering my pleafor help. I would do that but then my insurance company
> will get shirty, it's a long winded story but maybe my last resort!!!!
> do you know if I can change the IMEI & will this cure the problem???? Have
> searched the net,but can't find this out :(
>
> Regards
> Mac
> EX:G0TXK

If you're insurance carrier has already covered your loss by paying out
on your claim, the old handset belongs to them. Call them from your new
handset and ask them where to send it.

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
"All that we do is touched with ocean, yet we remain on the shore of

Mac Tabak wrote:
> for a moment there simon I thought you were going to send me
> dah-dah-dah-di-dit dah-dah-dah-di-dit's ;) )))) Good to see a fellow ham
> answering my pleafor help. I would do that but then my insurance company
> will get shirty, it's a long winded story but maybe my last resort!!!!
> do you know if I can change the IMEI & will this cure the problem???? Have
> searched the net,but can't find this out :(
>
> Regards
> Mac
> EX:G0TXK

Hi Mac!

I have heard of IMEIs being changed, but not sure how to do it, maybe
others here could explain it. I know here in Australia if you are
caught changing the IMEI you can be in a lot of trouble though.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM.
June 23, 2004 3:58:25 PM

michael turner <zvxr.gheare1963@ivetva.arg> wrote in message news:<pan.2004.06.22.14.51.26.982000@ivetva.arg>...
> Changing a phone's IMEI is most definately illegal (upto 5 years in
> prison), and is virtually impossible on some handsets, e.g. Nokia DCT4.

What country/ies is it illegal in? Given that this is a rather global
newsgroup, it's important to be clear which laws you are referring to.
Anonymous
June 24, 2004 1:20:15 AM

>What covntry/ies is it illegal in? Given that this is a rather global
>newsgrovp, it's important to be clear which laws yov are referring to.

Well, it is illegal in the United States, the Evropean Union and most African
Nations. It is illegal in Japan, Korea, Vietnam and Cambodia. Not svre abovt
Thailand bvt I svspect there too. I dont know bvt also svspect that it is also
illegal in Avstrailia and New Zeland.

Most phones yov cannot change the IMEI nvmber withovt physically removing the
chip that is the heart of the phone and replacing it.

--
John S.
June 24, 2004 7:16:54 AM

On Wed, 23 Jun 2004 11:58:25 -0700, gopi wrote:

> michael turner <zvxr.gheare1963@ivetva.arg> wrote in message news:<pan.2004.06.22.14.51.26.982000@ivetva.arg>...
>> Changing a phone's IMEI is most definately illegal (upto 5 years in
>> prison), and is virtually impossible on some handsets, e.g. Nokia DCT4.
>
> What country/ies is it illegal in? Given that this is a rather global
> newsgroup, it's important to be clear which laws you are referring to.

Europe, USA, Austrialia, New Zealand, and I'm sure there's quite a
few more. The main exeptions would seem to be some African countries.

--
Michael Turner

Email (ROT13)

zvxr.gheare1963@ivetva.arg