Can i watch tv on netbook

Status
Not open for further replies.

lindashepherd

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
Hi - I currently link my laptop to my tv via VGA cable and sound cable to watch tv channels - is it possible to do this with a netbook or just some netbooks please? thanks for your help. :D

Solution
I just realized that your question is not really about connectors, but rather the capability of netbooks for handling flash video.

I'm sure they have no problem with let's say standard resolution (360, 480) Youtube videos. The situation gets more interesting with HD resolutions (720, 1080). Recent video chips (either separate video cards or the ones built into processors) support HD video decoding by hardware, which means they can easily do it with low power consumption and low processor usage.

I suggest you look for this feature in the product descriptions, they usually emphasize it can handle HD video. Or if you have a nice model in mind, you can ask the forum about that.

lindashepherd

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
I connect my current laptop to the tv via vga cable and sound cable, then I find the channel I want to watch on the laptop by going to the tv channel's website.I then watch the channel through the tv screen so the whole family can watch. I just wondered if a netbook has the same facility to surf the web and use a flash player in the same way as an ordinary laptop?

szaboaz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
If your TV has an HDMI port, then get a netbook with HDMI port, and that's it.

Otherwise, get a netbook with both VGA and HDMI output. This way, you can use it just the way you use your laptop, *AND* it'll be future proof. In case you decide to buy a new TV later on (with HDMI port of course), you'll be able to enjoy the advantages of the HDMI connection (it's digital, so better signal quality, and it contains audio, so no need for separate cable).

Little warning: what you cannot do is connecting a HDMI-only netbook to a VGA/RCA port with a cable. They sell cable which is supposed to do this, but it can't work, because there's no way a cable can transform digital signals to analog. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6Vu2gGhzVo

If you want to get a perspective, watch these two videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN_yCFttdck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0NG7hZSbw4

szaboaz

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
I just realized that your question is not really about connectors, but rather the capability of netbooks for handling flash video.

I'm sure they have no problem with let's say standard resolution (360, 480) Youtube videos. The situation gets more interesting with HD resolutions (720, 1080). Recent video chips (either separate video cards or the ones built into processors) support HD video decoding by hardware, which means they can easily do it with low power consumption and low processor usage.

I suggest you look for this feature in the product descriptions, they usually emphasize it can handle HD video. Or if you have a nice model in mind, you can ask the forum about that.

Solution

lindashepherd

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012

Thank you so much - yes you have understand what I wanted - now I think my next step will be to see one in action in a shop before actually buying (online!) - once again, many thanks for your help and input -

Status
Not open for further replies.