Your question
Closed

Sound cracking after sometime, restart and problem again aft sometime

Tags:
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
December 30, 2011 2:52:39 PM

Hi,

i have a problem with my laptop's sound no matter whether I plugged in my speakers or using the laptop's own speakers. the cracking sound will just be there after i used my laptop after sometime. No matter what i do, gaming or watching show or leave it idle there, the sound problem will just be there and the sound will get even worse when i don't restart it. After i restart, the sound is alright again but after time the sound problem is back again.

Specs:
Aspire 4937
Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1 32 bit
Processor( Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T9550 @2.66GHz 2.67GHz)
Installed Memory(RAM) 4.00GB (3.00GB usable)
Graphic Card NVIDIA Geforce G105M

More about : sound cracking restart problem aft

December 30, 2011 3:14:56 PM

That sounds like a software bug. Does it happen with all sound applications (media player, windows sound, flash, whatever) or just one ?

If all sounds go go bad the same way then goto Aspire and download your audio driver. Install. reboot. See if things are better. Do not let windows update a laptop's audio driver -- too often the laptop maker does some customization.

If only one application is going bad uninstall/reinstall the application.

If this doesn't fix post again, we can go thru device amnager and see if there are any other problems that might be effecting the sound.

Aside: If you use USB attached headphones, then the sound card is in the headphone, so the driver for the USB headphone needs to be refreshed, not the driver for the built-in laptop sound card. ((Aside 2: this is how you get around a broken audio output port -- using USB headphones bypasses standard audio. You can also get a USB DAC that hooks to external amps, speakers.))
Score
December 30, 2011 4:19:32 PM

tsnor said:
That sounds like a software bug. Does it happen with all sound applications (media player, windows sound, flash, whatever) or just one ?

If all sounds go go bad the same way then goto Aspire and download your audio driver. Install. reboot. See if things are better. Do not let windows update a laptop's audio driver -- too often the laptop maker does some customization.

If only one application is going bad uninstall/reinstall the application.

If this doesn't fix post again, we can go thru device amnager and see if there are any other problems that might be effecting the sound.

Aside: If you use USB attached headphones, then the sound card is in the headphone, so the driver for the USB headphone needs to be refreshed, not the driver for the built-in laptop sound card. ((Aside 2: this is how you get around a broken audio output port -- using USB headphones bypasses standard audio. You can also get a USB DAC that hooks to external amps, speakers.))

Hi, the sound happens to all sound applications. This is not the first time already, i tried going to realtek to find the audio driver and install a newer version driver to my laptop but the sound problem still appears. I'll try going to the acer website and download the recommended audio driver and see if it fixes the problem.
Score
Related resources
December 31, 2011 9:07:03 AM

hi,

i changed the audio driver to the manufacturer's original audio driver. The problem is still there just that this time the problem takes a longer time for the sound to start becoming distorted and cracked like as if you're playing a extreme graphic game on a lousy computer.
Score
December 31, 2011 11:09:54 AM

That could be memory overlay. Can you come up in SAFE mode, play sounds until it starts to crackle ?
Score
January 1, 2012 5:07:35 PM

I did like you asked..boot up the computer in safe mode but i cant play any sounds as they say the audio services was not running from the troubleshooting in windows. It could not be fixed by the troubleshooter also
Score
January 1, 2012 7:00:52 PM

Sorry, my bad. I was looking for an easy way to stop most of the other activity on your PC so that if some other piece of software was causing your sound driver to have problems it wouldn't run. I forget the driver wouldn't even be loaded. Forget safe mode.

Please type 'msconfig' (without the quotes) in the start menu box (google it). You will launch the system configuration tool. If you go to the startup tab and disable all this will stop most of the stuff that starts with your PC. Reboot. See if the sound has the same problem. If yes, then renable. If no, then re-enable some and try to isolate which program is causing the problem.
Score
January 2, 2012 2:11:08 PM

I leave my laptop on for around 9 hours..i tried to test the sound around the 9th hour which is the last.. i could not do so..i cant even launch windows own task manager..a error said there was insufficient system resource..and i tried selecting restart my computer won't even restart or shut down that i had to force shut down..
Score
January 2, 2012 3:02:45 PM

So maybe the sound is a symptom, rather than a cause.

Start by checking the temps on your laptop. Download 'realtemp' (google it) or equivalent. Google the name of you laptop and 'temperature monitor' and see if there are posts giving good temp monitoring software for you laptop -- sometimes laptops have non standard temp ouputs.

EDIT: Forgot to point at virus/malware. They often behave this way - buggy. If you haven't done it already, get an antivirus and run a full scan. If you don't have an antivirus now, 'microsoft security essentials' is a free download.

Post also over in the windows forum. they can help you with software debugging. Typically 'insufficient system resource' type issues are memory leaks from incompatible or buggy SW.

The 9 hour problem could have been a gradual fail, or it could have happened all at once.

If it was a gradual fail, then you can see what process is accumulating resources. Open task manager. Goto the performance tab. There is a button to launch 'resource monitor' Launch it. Open the memory tab. Now check it every 1/2 or so looking for something tht is abnormal and getting worse over time. Eventually when your PC hangs you may have seen the process that used the resource. Gogole the name of the process.

Win7 has an event log and event viewer. Google it. maybe it will tell you something.

win7 can self diagnose if you let it. Type solutions in the start box or "Open Problem Reports and Solutions by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Problem Reports and Solutions."

Depending on what you have installed on the system, wiping your system clean is always an option. A fresh install tends to clean up software problems. Stability issues after a fresh install point to hardware rather than software.
Score
March 13, 2013 6:31:15 PM

I have the exact same problem. My laptop is an HP ENVY 4:
Intel Core i5 3rd generation
4Gb RAM
500Gb hard drive
Intel HD 4000 integrated GPU
built-in sound-card with software by IDT
I am also using bookshelf speakers which are connected to a small amplifier and then go into my audio-out jack.

The laptop is branded as Beats Audio but I have found that it is only a piece of shi... software which uses the Windows audio enhancements. So I deleted it and just installed a generic IDT High Definition driver using Windows Update but the crackling/clipping problem persists in the same manner as xmonstarx described: happens in any application (music, online videos, movies, games) and gets progressively worse as the computer stays on for a longer time.

I have tried to stop all non-Windows processes using msconfig but that has not resolved the problem.

Please help!
Score
!