Your question

How to know if CPU or Mobo is bad?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Motherboards
Last response: in CPUs
April 8, 2012 8:06:44 PM

Hello,

Can anyone tell me if there's a way to test if either your motherboard or CPU is bad?

If I had a similar spare motherboard I know I could test it that way but I have no other socket 1366 mobo to test it with.

Both are still under warranty but the turn-around time for a replacement is at best a week and 2 at worst.

I really need to check which one is the problem so I can have the part shipped ASAP because I'm a student and all my projects and programs are in there.

If I had plenty of money I would buy a new one but i'm financially dead a bit right now.

Also, typing in this itty-bitty tiny netbook is really starting to strain my eyes and hands.

More about : cpu mobo bad

a c 186 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
April 9, 2012 12:14:24 AM

^^+1 Usually motherboards will kill themselves to save the cpu...
m
l
Related resources
a c 900 à CPUs
a c 1163 V Motherboard
April 9, 2012 12:16:10 AM

Yep usually the motherboard between the two!
m
l
a c 107 à CPUs
a c 105 V Motherboard
April 9, 2012 12:18:53 AM

Use the guide and first determine that it is indeed the motherboard, and not a plug problem. For instance, if the 8-pins (CPU) plug or the 24-pins motherboard plug is not fully seated there could be issues.
m
l
August 19, 2012 12:29:44 AM

rolli59 said:
Yep usually the motherboard between the two!

So if my MB and CPU with a video card is running and in the middle of finish up of XP installing it one of the two? seem like it shuts down when processor get to working hard,, what then?
m
l
September 6, 2012 8:57:35 PM

peye2000 said:
So if my MB and CPU with a video card is running and in the middle of finish up of XP installing it one of the two? seem like it shuts down when processor get to working hard,, what then?

I had that happen to me. Whenever hdd was doing big operation the whole thing just died. Faulty power supply.
m
l
September 7, 2012 7:02:56 AM

working on computers for a living , i've seen RAM, CPU, mobo, PSU all kill the windows installation

process of elimination, i would start with RAM first as its easiest
m
l
September 25, 2012 1:48:23 AM

don250r said:
working on computers for a living , i've seen RAM, CPU, mobo, PSU all kill the windows installation

process of elimination, i would start with RAM first as its easiest

Ram was working before. Tried ram with different slots. Replaced CPU and mobo and now it is working. I appreciate all of your inputs i just screwed $300 over. Now I have the fx 8120 and couldn't be happier(without going intel) of my render times and gaming speeds. If I had known I was gonna spend this much money I would have gone intel or already have crossfire and an ssd.
m
l
!