How to know if CPU or Mobo is bad?

migs008

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
Hello,

Can anyone tell me if there's a way to test if either your motherboard or CPU is bad?

If I had a similar spare motherboard I know I could test it that way but I have no other socket 1366 mobo to test it with.

Both are still under warranty but the turn-around time for a replacement is at best a week and 2 at worst.

I really need to check which one is the problem so I can have the part shipped ASAP because I'm a student and all my projects and programs are in there.

If I had plenty of money I would buy a new one but i'm financially dead a bit right now.

Also, typing in this itty-bitty tiny netbook is really starting to strain my eyes and hands.

peye2000

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010

So if my MB and CPU with a video card is running and in the middle of finish up of XP installing it one of the two? seem like it shuts down when processor get to working hard,, what then?

HBTechnoDude

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012

I had that happen to me. Whenever hdd was doing big operation the whole thing just died. Faulty power supply.

don250r

Honorable
Aug 28, 2012
working on computers for a living , i've seen RAM, CPU, mobo, PSU all kill the windows installation

process of elimination, i would start with RAM first as its easiest

HBTechnoDude

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012

Ram was working before. Tried ram with different slots. Replaced CPU and mobo and now it is working. I appreciate all of your inputs i just screwed $300 over. Now I have the fx 8120 and couldn't be happier(without going intel) of my render times and gaming speeds. If I had known I was gonna spend this much money I would have gone intel or already have crossfire and an ssd.