Sign in with
Your question

Setup gigabit home network using 100mbps Router but Gigabit switches

Last response: in Networking
January 25, 2011 4:33:03 PM

Hello,
If I have 2 gigabit switches ("A" and "B") connected to a 10/100 fast ethernet router, will the gigabit devices (PCs) still communicate with each other at gigabit speeds from "A" to "B", even though they are being connected through the 10/100 fast ethernet router?
January 25, 2011 5:10:50 PM

justinbonar said:
Hello,
If I have 2 gigabit switches ("A" and "B") connected to a 10/100 fast ethernet router, will the gigabit devices (PCs) still communicate with each other at gigabit speeds from "A" to "B", even though they are being connected through the 10/100 fast ethernet router?

If you have PC-Joe connected to gigabit switch A, connected to the router, connected to gigabit switch B, and PC-Jane connected to 'B', then the maximum transmission speed between Joe and Jane will be 100mbit.
The best thing to do would be have gigabit A and B connect to each other directly, then have A _OR_ B connect to the router. Speed to the internet won't be degraded by the switch to switch jump since its gigabit, and your internet speed is maybe 20 at the most.
January 25, 2011 5:11:43 PM

No they won't.

The way you want to connect this is: Switch A to router, Switch B to Switch A. That way the only traffic that will be at 100 is the one going to the router for internet access, which is fine.
Related resources
January 25, 2011 7:15:38 PM

Bizarre. I spent way too much time on the phone with Netgear pressing them on this issue, and they claim that the fast ethernet router will NOT cause the transfer speed to "downshift" from the gigabit switches.
January 25, 2011 7:23:30 PM

justinbonar said:
Bizarre. I spent way too much time on the phone with Netgear pressing them on this issue, and they claim that the fast ethernet router will NOT cause the transfer speed to "downshift" from the gigabit switches.

They may not have understood what you were describing in your layout. The way I see it, you have Switch A going to a port on the router, and switch B, going to another port on the router correct? Then any traffic from Switch A to Switch B will be at 100. It's like jumping from a train going 100mph, to a train going 10mph, then jumping to another train going 100mph, when you leave the second train at 10, you will land on the 3rd train at 10. Your transfer speed will be whatever the lowest speed is.
January 25, 2011 7:39:16 PM

Okay, a 3rd call to Netgear and they finally "got" the network scenario and confirmed what we all suspected/knew: the speed from the gigabit switches going through a fast ethernet router will be 10/100. Sheesh!

!