Start Menu - Some items cannot be shown

I have many items on the Start menu, but I don't want to remove them.
How can I prevent this boring message from being displayed?
"Some items cannot be shown"
I can use regedit if needed.
10 answers Last reply
More about start menu items shown

    Hi,

    Did you set ur computer at a lower resolution. this message comes when the
    graphics display adapter is not installed. In this case you will have to
    install the display adpaters so that the system can adjust itself to show at
    1024*768 resolution and you will be able to see all the items on the start
    menu.

    Regards
    M. Rajesh
    ..Net and Windows Shell MVP
    www.winxpsolution.com

    "M. Rajesh" <mrajesh24_ns@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Did you set ur computer at a lower resolution. this message comes when the

    No, infact all items are visible, but the Start menu has reached the bottom
    of the screen, so it thinks* that some items are not displayed. I want to
    disable this message.

    > graphics display adapter is not installed. In this case you will have to
    > install the display adpaters so that the system can adjust itself to show
    at
    > 1024*768 resolution and you will be able to see all the items on the start
    > menu.

    Thank You, but I know how to administer my server.
    In fact the resolution is 1152x864.
    I have a lot of programs and I want to put as many of them as possible, on
    the start menu.
    The bad thing about the start menu is that one can't add programs to the
    right side - there's a plenty of space to fit my needs, but so far I managed
    to put only one item on it.

    > Regards
    > M. Rajesh
    > .Net and Windows Shell MVP
    > www.winxpsolution.com
    >
    > "George Valkov" wrote:
    >
    > > I have many items on the Start menu, but I don't want to remove them.
    > > How can I prevent this boring message from being displayed?
    > > "Some items cannot be shown"
    > > I can use regedit if needed.

    > but I know how to administer my server

    Obviously not.

    Reduce the number of MRU programs.

    http://www.newmatilda.com/home/default.asp

    "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > but I know how to administer my server

    > Obviously not.

    > Reduce the number of MRU programs.

    I know that. I said that all items are visible. I don't wan't to remove one
    item and go the long way every time I need it - it's better to see the
    boring message. Instead I was looking for a registry or group policy setting
    to disable it.
    Thanks!

    http://www.newmatilda.com/home/default.asp
    "George Valkov" <null@somewhere.com> wrote in message
    > "M. Rajesh" <mrajesh24_ns@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Did you set ur computer at a lower resolution. this message comes when
    the

    > No, infact all items are visible, but the Start menu has reached the
    bottom
    > of the screen, so it thinks* that some items are not displayed. I want to
    > disable this message.
    >
    > > graphics display adapter is not installed. In this case you will have to
    > > install the display adpaters so that the system can adjust itself to
    show
    > at
    > > 1024*768 resolution and you will be able to see all the items on the
    start
    > > menu.
    >
    > Thank You, but I know how to administer my server.
    > In fact the resolution is 1152x864.
    > I have a lot of programs and I want to put as many of them as possible, on
    > the start menu.
    > The bad thing about the start menu is that one can't add programs to the
    > right side - there's a plenty of space to fit my needs, but so far I
    managed
    > to put only one item on it.
    >

    > > Regards
    > > M. Rajesh
    > > .Net and Windows Shell MVP
    > > www.winxpsolution.com
    > >
    > > "George Valkov" wrote:
    > >
    > > > I have many items on the Start menu, but I don't want to remove them.
    > > > How can I prevent this boring message from being displayed?
    > > > "Some items cannot be shown"
    > > > I can use regedit if needed.

    They obviously aren't all visible.

    "George Valkov" <null@somewhere.com> wrote in message news:%23TbIW4PkEHA.3520@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...

    > "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > > but I know how to administer my server
    >
    > > Obviously not.
    >
    > > Reduce the number of MRU programs.
    >
    > I know that. I said that all items are visible. I don't wan't to remove one
    > item and go the long way every time I need it - it's better to see the
    > boring message. Instead I was looking for a registry or group policy setting
    > to disable it.
    > Thanks!

    > http://www.newmatilda.com/home/default.asp
    > "George Valkov" <null@somewhere.com> wrote in message
    > > "M. Rajesh" <mrajesh24_ns@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > Did you set ur computer at a lower resolution. this message comes when
    > the
    > >
    > > No, infact all items are visible, but the Start menu has reached the
    > bottom
    > > of the screen, so it thinks* that some items are not displayed. I want to
    > > disable this message.
    > >
    > > > graphics display adapter is not installed. In this case you will have to
    > > > install the display adpaters so that the system can adjust itself to
    > show
    > > at
    > > > 1024*768 resolution and you will be able to see all the items on the
    > start
    > > > menu.
    > >
    > > Thank You, but I know how to administer my server.
    > > In fact the resolution is 1152x864.
    > > I have a lot of programs and I want to put as many of them as possible, on
    > > the start menu.
    > > The bad thing about the start menu is that one can't add programs to the
    > > right side - there's a plenty of space to fit my needs, but so far I
    > managed
    > > to put only one item on it.
    > >

    > > > Regards
    > > > M. Rajesh
    > > > .Net and Windows Shell MVP
    > > > www.winxpsolution.com

    Remember it the number that could be shown not the number that is shown.

    I have mine set to 22 and I get the message even though only 17 can show at this point in time.

    http://www.newmatilda.com/home/default.asp
    "George Valkov" <null@somewhere.com> wrote in message news:%23TbIW4PkEHA.3520@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...

    > "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > > but I know how to administer my server
    >
    > > Obviously not.
    >
    > > Reduce the number of MRU programs.
    >
    > I know that. I said that all items are visible. I don't wan't to remove one
    > item and go the long way every time I need it - it's better to see the
    > boring message. Instead I was looking for a registry or group policy setting
    > to disable it.
    > Thanks!

    > http://www.newmatilda.com/home/default.asp
    > "George Valkov" <null@somewhere.com> wrote in message
    > > "M. Rajesh" <mrajesh24_ns@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > Did you set ur computer at a lower resolution. this message comes when
    > the
    > >
    > > No, infact all items are visible, but the Start menu has reached the
    > bottom
    > > of the screen, so it thinks* that some items are not displayed. I want to
    > > disable this message.
    > >
    > > > graphics display adapter is not installed. In this case you will have to
    > > > install the display adpaters so that the system can adjust itself to
    > show
    > > at
    > > > 1024*768 resolution and you will be able to see all the items on the
    > start
    > > > menu.
    > >
    > > Thank You, but I know how to administer my server.
    > > In fact the resolution is 1152x864.
    > > I have a lot of programs and I want to put as many of them as possible, on
    > > the start menu.
    > > The bad thing about the start menu is that one can't add programs to the
    > > right side - there's a plenty of space to fit my needs, but so far I
    > managed
    > > to put only one item on it.
    > >

    > > > Regards
    > > > M. Rajesh
    > > > .Net and Windows Shell MVP
    > > > www.winxpsolution.com

    I think you answered you own question.

    > I think you answered you own question.

    .... I already knew that answer.
    I think I was asking for something else... :-)
  9. Lower the number from Taskbar Properties / Start menu / Number of programs on Start menu.
    I had mine set to 15, but when i pinned a program the aviable space left was 13 and the message appeared.
    I want to properties and set the number of programs to 10 (as i'll shurely pin others in time).
    The message disapeared.

    Or, better yet, check this (vbs fix) http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41617
    Or this (registry edit - disables all balloon messages) http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307729
  10. Thanks edyshor, I had the same problem, that's what we want clear non 'smartarse' answers, good stuff.

Configuration Start Menu Microsoft Customization Windows XP