New Custom Build Won't Turn On

camelpolo

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
Hello Tom's hardware community,

So I just finished placing and plugging all of the components for my new PC build. is the hardware:

AsRock 970 3extreme MB
AMD Phenom x4 II Black 980 CPU
Corsair 600W PSU (modular)
SataIII 7200 500 GB HDD
SataIII 60GB SSD
2x4 GB RAM
Saphire AMD Radeon 6870 GPU

It won't turn on. I've double checked to see that the case plugs are in the right place, but all i get power wise is my USB cards lighting up when they are plugged in, which means that the MB is getting power yes?

I'm not sure where to start here, and maybe someone could help?

Thanks!

Solution
It almost certainly is not a monitor problem.

Monitors can detect when they are plugged into something that is turned off.

This is why you turn a computer off and the monitor goes into sleep mode automatically.

Usually it is a hardware failure in one of the core components that causes this.

Sounds like a bad PSU, Motherboard, CPU, RAM, or Video Card.

Hard to tell at this point without being able to replace parts with good ones.

Do you have any capability to do that?
What exactly do you mean by "won't turn on".

Do you mean:
1) No response whatsoever
2) Turns on and turns back off immediately
3) Continually restarts

I am going to assume you mean #1. If not, specify which one you really mean and try to be more clear about things.

Assuming #1:

Did you use the standoffs to keep the back of the motherboard from touching the case wall? If you did not, you absolutely must do this or it will never work.

Did you plug the PSU twice into the motherboard? You absolutely must plug in the big fat power cable as well as the 4 pin square cable into the port near the processor.

Did you plug the right cable into the CPU processor port? The one that goes in here should be either an 4x2 (8) cable with 4 hanging off the edge or a cable with 2 little 2x2 cords very close together on the same wire. If not, plug the one with 2 square 2 round ones into this port.

If all those things are as they should be, then take everything back out of the case and put it all on a wooden table. Touch the metal part of the case early and often during this process to get rid of any static charge you might have. You can destroy parts with static shock even if you can't personally feel the shock.

Plug the PSU twice into the motherboard when it is outside the case and try to turn it on by laying a flat screwdriver across the two pins on the motherboard labeled PWR_BTN.

Report any responses from the system during these tests.

camelpolo

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
Hey thanks for replies both of you. Raiddinn, I'm sorry I wasn't clear. You were correct in assuming that there was no response whatsoever.

In response to a few items, I haven't done the tests yet.

Yes the gold standoffs are in place, with black screws going into the motherboard to set everything in place.

There is a large plug and a 4 pin square, both are installed. Also, the large plug has a much smaller plug with it that has an arrow facing the large plug, the large plug having an arrow that also points back. These are all in the mother board: The smaller plug near the processor, and the largest just above the end of the video card to the right of the motherboard.

I'm going to go ahead and try your tests. Thanks. I'll be back when I get through.

Camel

camelpolo

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
Thanks again.

So I did a full deconstruction, and found that we had placed in an extra MOBO stand screw. After removing this and adding everything back to the MoBo, PSU, etc.

Tada! Power.

But... :( There is nothing coming up on our monitor, which is plugged into the wall and the comp. Tried both the monitor adaptor and an HDMI cable.

All fans, led's, HDD, SDD, GPU, etc. Have power.

So why black screen?

Thanks,

Camel

gavenr

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
make sure your video card is properly pushed onto the motherboard all the way. This happens alot with new custom builds that the screw is not secure and allows the video card to be very loose. If it is pushed in try resetting the memory. Those are really only the 2 simple ways to fix this issue. If not then it might be your mobo..

Let me know

gavenr

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011
make sure your video card is properly pushed onto the motherboard all the way. This happens alot with new custom builds that the screw is not secure and allows the video card to be very loose. If it is pushed in try resetting the memory. Those are really only the 2 simple ways to fix this issue. If not then it might be your mobo..

Let me know

gavenr

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2011

Let me know

camelpolo

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
Hey,

Thanks! But I checked and the gpu is secure, and the fan is running on it.

I pulled out a stick of ram amd only placed one in the A1 slot.

Hmm...

I read the sticky and none ofnthosenissues seem to apply here.

Thanks again

Sorry for delay, been busy afk, glad the initial issue is sorted and you have power (lucky, you hopefully haven't killed anything)
as for the graphic, what kind of monitor is it? vga,dvi, hdmi, my 6950's only work on my vga screen if its connected through a certain port on the card, make sure you have the right connection on there
Moto

camelpolo

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
Its a dell monitor. There is an adaptor that came with the 6870 to fit the normal monitor plug. Also I've tried an hdmi.

I don't know ifmitsnthe monitor...

Could the gpu be fried even if iota fan is running?

I'll word it differently, have you tried using all the cards outputs?
One may work but not another like mine
and if you could check on a known working monitor that'd help too ofc, no worries if you can't
the card could be fried even though the fans spinning yes, but I'd rather rule out the possibility of it being a connection issue first before telling you to send the card on an rma ticket
Moto

camelpolo

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
Well I don't have another monitor. O well.

The monitor works with my laptop and both the blue cable connection amd the hdmi cable...

I've tried all the ways with the video card connection, any other ideas?

Camel

camelpolo

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
I just grabbed an MSI 6870, plugged it into the mobo and psu...

No picture on the monitor! Is it the mobo you guys think?

Fans are working but I'm not getting anynsoundnfrom the 4 pin speaker I bought...

camelpolo

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
No, although I'm not sure what you mean.

I did realize I never flipped the lever on the CPU fan but that didn't do anything either.

When I plug the adapter into my monitor slot the monitor goes into power saving mode.

Twice though it has said that the computer is trying to send a connection and I should tap the space bar... Doesn't work.

What kind of components.. Shouldn't the speaker make a noise?

What I meant was.. You said you just grabbed a 6870 from somewhere and I was wondering if you could also grab something else from wherever you grabbed that.

Yes, if you have a PC speaker and it is plugged in right then one beep means you have POSTed successfully which doesn't seem to be happening.

If you have an aftermarket cooler for the CPU try replacing it with the regular one that came with the box if you got one with it.

It sounds like the problem is the processor or the motherboard at this moment.

You might try checking the CPU to see if there are any bent pins too.

camelpolo

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
True. I bought another gpu and am returning the first one. I had an extra power supply (530w) and tried that.

Took the motherboard out and pulled the fan off (which detatched the paste) and checked the chip. No bent pins. Reinstalled connected all the power with the psu, gpu, and switches. Powered up again, but still no post.

I think it's either the mobo or the connection to the monitor... Would an hdmi work ok or just the regular monitor adapter.

I thank you again so much for your help, further insight would be great!

Camel

A short just means that power is flowing in the wrong direction. Something is making the power take a shorter route to where it wants to go than it is supposed to take.

That would mean, for example, that power intended for the CPU instead went right into the case.

In my experience, it is pretty difficult to damage a motherboard by a temporary short.

If the motherboard had to bend in an area due to the extra standoff that could have damaged it, but even then it should be pretty unlikely.

Pretty much every short can be fixed just by removing the metal that is touching the other metal in an unintended way.

Unless there is another one touching in some unintended way then you should be fine.

Not that it isn't possible, but the likelihood seems pretty remote.

For completeness sake, what was the maker/model/age of the 530w psu you tried?

Also, maybe it is a stupid question for me to ask, but you are plugging the monitor into the video card and not any slots that may or may not be on the motherboard, right?

TRENDING THREADS