Power Problem

bkeschhh

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
Hey everyone,

So for christmas i got a new GPU and did the swap. My old GPU was an ATI Radeon HD 4870 and the new card is a ATI Radeon HD 6950. I put the new card in and installed the drivers and everything was working fine. I readjusted my settings in Skyrim and ended up playing for about 45 mins. I put the computer to sleep and came back an hour later to find out that it won't come back from sleep. My keyboard wasn't backlit but when i pressed a key it would light up. I tried pressing my power button on the case, my motherboard, clicking the mouse, and i got nothing. All this time the power/reset button on my motherboard has been lit up. So i switched off the PSU, unplugged it from the wall and let it sit for a minute and tried again. Motherboard lights still come on but the computer doesn't turn on at all, not even the fans or LEDs on the case.

My friend has basically the same build as me and the same PSU. So i took my tower to his house and swapped the PSUs and my computer booted right up with no problems. I put my power supply back in and hooked it back up and it booted right back up again. turned it off, brought it to my house, and turned it back on and it was working just fine.. i put it to sleep and the same problem happened. it won't turn back on, the keyboard lights up when i press a key and the motherboard light is still on. i unplugged it, let it sit, and now it wont turn on again.

it seems to be only when i put it to sleep that it has a problem turning back on, even after i unplug it. my initial thought was that this was a power supply issue but now i don't know anymore. and i never had this problem with the old GPU and the new 6950 only requires a 500 watt PSU.. please help, i just want to play BF3 and Skyrim.

Specs
CPU: Intel core i7-920
Mobo: Asus P6T
RAM: 12gb
PSU: Corsair 650watts
Case: Antec-900

bkeschhh

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
I also removed the RAM to see if maybe that was the issue, maybe there was a bad sleep state or something but the case/computer still won't turn on but the motherboard lights are still coming on. there is also no smell of burning coming from anything

bkeschhh

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
i read somewhere that a computer not coming back from it's sleep state is most likely the source of a bad graphics driver? anyone have anything further on this or what i should do about it?

majorgibly

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011

Sleep problems seems to a common problem with windows 7, I have also experienced it. My problem was caused my instable motherboard bios. I suggest you update yours.

majorgibly

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011

Go onto your boards website search your board then find 'downloads' then download the BIOS update and put it on a USB stick.

bkeschhh

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2011
So its not my power supply because i put in my brothers PSU into my computer and still no power but the Mobo lights are on... i put my PSU in his computer and it runs fine, in and out of sleep.