First boot?

kevin07

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2012
OK so I have all the hardware and I am ready to order them and put them together just I have concerns about the first initial boot, I have a general idea so far and obviously going to read up on what to do but this is what I understand so far.

I turn on the system and go into the bios, is the first thing I do change it so it starts up the HARD RIVE or the OPTICAL DRIVE first as the optical drive is how I am going to install windows, I think I remember reading to make it so it boots HARD DRIVE and it will recognize that it has nothing on it so go to the optical drive first. I s this correct

If someone could give me a list of order to do things such as update drivers etc and then I could go look up how to do them instead of people explaining them.

Also my mobo is an asrock z77 extreme 4

any help appreciated

CDdude55

Distinguished
In order to install Windows the optical drive will have to be the first boot device, after Windows is installed make your HDD the first boot device. Don't worry about drivers and updates until window is installed.

kevin07

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2012
OK thanks, so once windows is installed will I be able to immediately use the internet to look up things should I get stuck with something?

CDdude55

Distinguished

You'll need to load the network drivers which usually comes on a disc with your motherboard or you can download them online on a different machine, throw them on a flash drive and install them on the other machine that way.

kevin07

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2012
OK, so boot from optical drive, install windows, boot from hard drive. Is this the last time I will have to go into the BIOS other than overclocking which I will not be doing and If so do I then install all the drivers?

CDdude55

Distinguished
Yes once you're in Windows is when you start install things like your display drivers(though windows will automatically do that usually at first boot) and software.

You have to boot from the optical drive first so your system can read from the drive and copy your Windows files to your HDD, once they're there and the setup process is done, you can boot from the HDD and into Windows, then once booted into windows comes the final step of installing drivers and software.

You shouldn't have to go into BIOS for anything, though you might want to switch from IDE mode to ACHI in your SATA settings if it isn't already on AHCI, as IDE is a legecy mode and doesn't include feature like NCQ that AHCI has for modern SATA drives and tends to affect performance as well.

CDdude55

Distinguished
Never update your BIOS unless you need to, only update it if you're running into problem what will require an update to fix or for hardware compatibility purposes.

kevin07

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2012
I'm writing stuff down for when I do this and I am up to drivers etc, should I use windows updater to update the system before I update GPU drives etc?

Am I right in saying that GPU etc come with a disc with there drivers and if so should I install these drivers then get the updated ones off there website?