Sign in with
Your question
Closed

NEW HIGH END GAMING PC - BIG DISSAPOINTMENT

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 1, 2011 11:24:09 PM

Hi guys....

Recently out from nowhere...i came up with an idea to get a totaly new tower ...since its about 5 years i had bought the pc i had until now !!!! so...coz i wanted to play all the good and "heavy" games....i ended up to order this pc ---->

cpu : AMD PHENOM II X6 1100T 3,3GHz
m/b: GIGABYTE RET990XA-UD3GFD AM3+ DDR3
RAM: CORSAIR DDR3 4X4GB 1600MHZ
graphics: ASUS ATI RADEON HD 6990 4GB DDR5 2*256 BIT
hdd's: SOLID STATE INTEL 2,5'' 120GB ERWMLC BOX

2x WD SATA3 3.5'' 6GB/SEC 1TB 7200 64MB WD1002FAEFGX

drive: BLU-RAY LG RECORDER 10X + HD READER INTERNAL + DVDRW 16X BLACK

after a really small research i did about what is good these days..coz i had long time to watch the news about hardware for pc's...i think its a quite good machine? isnt it?

so i recieved it a couple days ago..with windows 7 on it.....and i was looking forward to check out my new "toy"....but dissapointment was surely was waiting for me :( 

1ST bad "surprise"....when i turn on the pc....i was expecting the loading time of windows would be extremely small..coz one of my friends has too a similar machine and he has his windowns 7 on an SSD too...and the windows are loading HELL FAST..in like 15 seconds it all done!....unfortunately..for unknown reason...my windows are loading HELL slow instead (they are installed on the SSD too ),,,its even SLOWER than my 6 years old pc i had till now!!!! WTFFFFF!!! i got left speechless with the mount opened like a hungry monkey!!! :( 

2nd bad surprise....i got some games from friends to test them out on the machine....thats what i just did and thats the reason i m writing now here to you guys!! i just installed Crysis 1 ...Crysis 2....and The Witcher 2....... and here we gooooooooooo...

Crysis 1....with MAXED out graphic settings....and all patches installed too....even the games seems to run smooth on the screen...the mouse is responding very bad....whatever options i tried to fix...nothing...i never made it to run properly ....if i DISABLE the Vsync option...mouse is coming and woring perfect..but then the movement in the game has some vertical bugs or somethings...its like the screen getting slashed in 3 pieces when i look left -right!

Crysis 2.....it the only game who worked just fine without any problems maxed out...

The witcher 2......with maxed out settings...its simply NOT PLAYABLE....THE FPS ARE VERY LOW..ITS NOT SMOOTH AT ALL...AND SLOW LIKE HELL!!!

SO PLEASE GUYS...CAN ANYBODY TELL ME? WHAT MAY BE WRONG? WHAT SHOULD I FIX? OR ITS NORMAL FOR THESE SPECS PC NOT TO BE ABLE TO PLAY THESE GAMES MAXED OUT? COZ I HAVE SOME FRIENDS WITH OLDER MACHINES WITH LOWER SPECS....CPU RAM AND GRAPHIC CARD...WHO THEY PLAY IT LOT BETTER THAN MY NEW PC.....THEIR LOADING TIMES ARE INSANELY FASTER....SO IT CANT BE...IT MUST BE SOMETHING ! I THOUGHT THE HD6990 IS ONE OF THE BEST GRAPHIC CARDS NOW..AND WITH A GOOD CPU AND ENOUGH RAM IT WOULD PLAY ANY GAME MAXED OUT EASILY WITHOUT PROBLEMS!!!! SO PLEASE HELP ME...IF CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT TO DO TO FIX IT?

THANKS IN ADVANCE....

(I M TOTALY NEW TO THE FORUM...I JUST REGISTERED TO ASK FOR HELP....PLEASE FEEL COMFO TO EVEN INBOX ME IF U ARE WILLING TO HELP ME WITH MY ISSUE)
a c 230 U Graphics card
November 1, 2011 11:40:36 PM

Please don't shout (lose the caps).

The dual GPU cards (590 and 6990) are dogs

An AMD CPU doesnt belong in a gaming box costing more than $800 to build.

The etxra 8GB isn't going anything for you

I'd return it.
a b U Graphics card
November 1, 2011 11:44:04 PM

Doing maxed out settings is not a good idea. Particularly in "The Witcher 2" where ubersampling is more or less a joke(turn it off).

Other than that, it sounds like you have a really complicated hdd/ssd setup. That might be causing your boot time issues. I'd start by removing the Hdds and just running on the sdds(do you have two of them, I don't know what "hdd's" means). Get it working right and then add the hdds.
Related resources
November 1, 2011 11:44:26 PM

First of all, refrain from shouting.
November 1, 2011 11:45:27 PM

sorry for the caps.....i dont shout !!! :) 

what do u mean the amd cpu doesnt belong to a gaming box costing more than 800$? you mean its not good at all? i was going to get the intel 2600k but everyone told me "no way" ...i guess here all are fans of AMD and they all dislike the intels..i dont know why! but i ended up with the AMD. but do you think the problem is the AMD?...the extra 8gb ram maybe not usefull right now but i use some proffesional programs for my office work and its not bad to have some extra..so i ll keep them if u dont mind :) 

my problem is why the pc is slow and why it doesnt play the good games properly....! :( 
November 1, 2011 11:47:47 PM

ok guys sorry for the caps..i m lookin now how can i edit the msg to remove them ! sorry.... !!

magic pants...for some reason they didnt deliver to me the HDD yet coz of an incident to thailand...so right now i have only the SSD on the pc! so it cant be it
November 1, 2011 11:50:31 PM

Sounds like this computer was pre-built for you. Who/what company built this for you?

"my windows are loading HELL slow instead" - what's the time it takes to load?
November 1, 2011 11:52:50 PM

i just tried to remove the caps and i get this msg:
You are not allowed to edit this message!

Back to previous page

GGTY...it not pre built mate....i choosed the parts..and i ordered them to a friends shop! i just asked different opinions before i end up to this order....!

windows slow....when it goes to the "welcome" blue screen of windows ...it stays there loading about 1 minute!
November 1, 2011 11:53:14 PM

Do you have a model number for the SSD?

"SOLID STATE INTEL 2,5'' 120GB ERWMLC BOX"

November 1, 2011 11:55:07 PM

should i try format the pc and reinstall everythings again? windows drivers etc etc?

windows seem not installed succesful...cause its 2 days new pc..and already windows crashed 2-3 times got blue screen and restarted the pc itself! is it possible this cause and the gaming issues?
November 1, 2011 11:55:38 PM

first is it long from the bios menu to load are you got a hang up at windows loading logo

a)long boot from the bios ajust your bios option
b)long fromt the windows logo your hdd are slowing you down
c)any other probleme of software

then for your perf since your card is a crossfire card on the same pcb make sure to get the cap instaled from amd.com driver download then look your perf if you still got some lage you should crank up the amd a little bit if possible since i think you could be bottlenecking (dont know for sure since about 5 year i no more use amd since its lack of advance power vs intel

if 2 days old and bsod then make a call to the sav and do something now (my thinking)
November 1, 2011 11:56:14 PM

GGTY said:
Do you have a model number for the SSD?

"SOLID STATE INTEL 2,5'' 120GB ERWMLC BOX"

yes i think so....is this it?
SOLID STATE INTEL 2,5'' 120GB ERWMLC BOX
JHFG209488HGF
November 1, 2011 11:57:19 PM

It's possible that they have everything running in IDE mode instead of ahci, that KILLS performance with SSD's.
November 1, 2011 11:58:08 PM

if 2 days old and bsod then make a call to the sav and shake thing up (my thinking)
November 2, 2011 12:00:46 AM

wirzy said:
first is it long from the bios menu to load are you got a hang up at windows loading logo

a)long boot from the bios ajust your bios option
b)long fromt the windows logo your hdd are slowing you down
c)any other probleme of software

then for your perf since your card is a crossfire card on the same pcb make sure to get the cap instaled from amd.com driver download then look your perf if you still got some lage you should crank up the amd a little bit if possible since i think you could be bottlenecking (dont know for sure since about 5 year i no more use amd since its lack of advance power vs intel

if 2 days old and bsod then make a call to the sav and do something now (my thinking)

comparing to even my old pc which is a dual core amd at 4400 with 2GB DDR2 400 ram and an ATI radderon x1900xtx ....the windows on my new pc loading even slower than that!

the most lag i have it when it goes to the "welcome" screen before load the desktop....and it cant be the HDD cause right now i have only the SSD ..the other 2 hdd havent arrived yet! so i start thinkin and hoping that all the problem is caused from the software or any bad drivers
November 2, 2011 12:02:22 AM

ozzy702 said:
It's possible that they have everything running in IDE mode instead of ahci, that KILLS performance with SSD's.

how can i check this out mate?
November 2, 2011 12:03:13 AM

wirzy said:
if 2 days old and bsod then make a call to the sav and shake thing up (my thinking)

sorry my english are not that well...i didnt understand a think ....what do you mean ? :) 
November 2, 2011 12:06:10 AM

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but are you certain you have the SSD?
November 2, 2011 12:07:38 AM

acid_junkie said:
how can i check this out mate?

You'd have to go into the BIOS to see how everything is configured. Or watch the POST screen carefully...
November 2, 2011 12:07:46 AM

GGTY said:
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but are you certain you have the SSD?

lol..yes of course....i checked all things i got :) 
November 2, 2011 12:09:16 AM

noone told me the most simple question......normaly these 3 games...should be able to play at max graphic easily or no with this hd6990 the 16gb ram and this CPU?
November 2, 2011 12:39:01 AM

You didnt mention what Power Supply you have? Could make a huge difference :) 

Also.. if you have the cooling capability, overclock that cpu... i have a 1090t oc'd to 4.1ghz on air.

Upgrade your bios to the latest, manually define memory voltage/timings/cpu/etc.

Google for 'ssd windows 7 optimizations / tweaks' and of course.. make sure you have the latest drivers.

Something else to consider... I know AMD had an issue with certain chips... where.. running 4 dimms at 1600 had issues.. something to do with the memory controller in the cpu. google this to make sure you arent affected.
November 2, 2011 12:52:00 AM

slappy76 said:
You didnt mention what Power Supply you have? Could make a huge difference :) 

Also.. if you have the cooling capability, overclock that cpu... i have a 1090t oc'd to 4.1ghz on air.

Upgrade your bios to the latest, manually define memory voltage/timings/cpu/etc.

Google for 'ssd windows 7 optimizations / tweaks' and of course.. make sure you have the latest drivers.

Something else to consider... I know AMD had an issue with certain chips... where.. running 4 dimms at 1600 had issues.. something to do with the memory controller in the cpu. google this to make sure you arent affected.

yes i have 2 extra HUGE coolers...one 5x times bigger than the stock is on the CPU....and i have a corsair 850watt supplier.ok thanks i will try to have a look about the memory....! in the computer properties i see this tho..i dont know what that my be mean..coz i first time see something like this ..in the system properties where it shows the ram..it is like installed RAM : 16GB (3.00 its possible to use) (i see it in greek so i dont know for sure if i translate exactly how it would seem in english)
November 2, 2011 1:15:55 AM

Looks like you installed the 32-bit version of Windows...
November 2, 2011 1:19:50 AM

acid_junkie said:
yes i have 2 extra HUGE coolers...one 5x times bigger than the stock is on the CPU....and i have a corsair 850watt supplier.ok thanks i will try to have a look about the memory....! in the computer properties i see this tho..i dont know what that my be mean..coz i first time see something like this ..in the system properties where it shows the ram..it is like installed RAM : 16GB (3.00 its possible to use) (i see it in greek so i dont know for sure if i translate exactly how it would seem in english)

You mention that only 3GB of RAM is being recognised by the OS.

Are you running Windows 7 32 bit?
Because if you are, 32 bit is limited to 3-3.5GB RAM, and if so do a fresh install of Windows 7 with the 64 bit version to get all the use out of you 16GB of RAM.

Remember x86 = 32 bit and x64 is 64 bit.
a c 109 U Graphics card
November 2, 2011 1:24:26 AM

I think you may have been ripped off :o  also any rig that costs above $800 shouldn't have an amd cpu in there as stated previously. Your friend doesn't seem very trust worthy and seems like he wants a lot more money out of you.
a c 172 U Graphics card
November 2, 2011 1:24:42 AM

people like you should not be gaming on the PC. Do your homework and read reviews and learn something about computers before you waste your money. If you dont want to do that then go buy a PS3/xbox and game on that.
November 2, 2011 1:26:57 AM

yamman101 said:
You mention that only 3GB of RAM is being recognised by the OS.

Are you running Windows 7 32 bit?
Because if you are, 32 bit is limited to 3-3.5GB RAM, and if so do a fresh install of Windows 7 with the 64 bit version to get all the use out of you 16GB of RAM.

Remember x86 = 32 bit and x64 is 64 bit.

yes the idiots installed the 32bit win 7...i asked them WHY? iwant the 64 bit...and they said 32 is better lol! coz 64 have a lot of bugs and lot of programs or games not workin on 64 bit...! so thats why it doesnt see the rest of my RAM? yes..it shows 16 gb ram but says only 3gb usable! as for what the other guy said about SSD and IDE ...i just checked the bios and its as IDE....does this have anything to do that slowing down the SSD speed ?
November 2, 2011 1:29:48 AM

amuffin said:
I think you may have been ripped off :o  also any rig that costs above $800 shouldn't have an amd cpu in there as stated previously. Your friend doesn't seem very trust worthy and seems like he wants a lot more money out of you.

why? they all should have intel inside? i didnt understand that....i asked intel 2600k initialy but they said that intel not good and bla bla bla...even intel was lot more expensive than the AMD i got finaly!
a b U Graphics card
November 2, 2011 1:31:15 AM

That CPU is the bottleneck. Is the OS pirated? and these games you "got" from friends are they pirated? Pirated games are notoriously bad for performance in some cases, same goes for the OS.
a b U Graphics card
November 2, 2011 1:38:18 AM

I suspect both, for one if you let a friend "borrow" a game thats piracy too. An OS straight load like that and hanging on the loading screen sounds alot like a modified version of it. And yeah it does matter, have you ever tried to fix a computer for a customer who put windows xp black edition pirated copy on their computer? So many issues with that i told them to buy a copy or go somewhere else.
November 2, 2011 1:50:27 AM

so...for now i have to install windows 7 64bit at least so all the RAM works and not only 3gb? the other thing about the IDE mode or AHCI? do i have to change that too finally? the windows are pirated yes ..the games are originals borrowed from a game store...! i guess i will need to find a person who is totaly into these pc things to find out whats coz all this issues! its a pity to have a pc that can perfom up to 10 lvl for examble and u use it max at a 3-4 lvl... :/ 
a b U Graphics card
November 2, 2011 2:20:02 AM

Everyone has a "Friend" who "Knows" computers.

most of the time it ends with threads like this appearing.

Miss matched hardware, software & settings from people who should not be doing work on their own rigs let alone offering advice to other people.

And its the innocent people left with a "Clustaf*&k" they call, a high end gaming beast.

8gb DDR 3 RAM
6970 (Single or Crossfire)
Win 7 Home Prem (64bit)

On a side note. The amd 1100T isnt bad for the money. BUT defiantly 2500k is the best choice to pair with the 6990.

The mistake with 32bit OS is almost unforgivable. since XP there has been 64bit OS's to deal with more than 3-4gb RAM.

November 2, 2011 2:39:54 AM

with the AMD CPU they are saying that people generally only put AMDs into lower budget builds because they are cheaper. A computer costing >$800 should be intel based because they outperform AMD past that pricepoint.

Realistically you only need 4GB of memory. 8GB if you want to future-proof it for a couple of years. 12GB is a waste.

Use only 1 SSD and have them install windows 7 64 bit on it. Add whatever other harddrives you have once its stable.

if you want to find out if its your shady copy of windows causing the problems then download a copy of Ubuntu (an alternate, free operating system \) and see if the computer stabilizes while running it. Its not great for gaming but you can worry about gaming once your comp stops crashing. http://www.ubuntu.com/download

Its most likely some faulty (probably used) parts that they installed in your system.

It sounds like theyre giving you a load of crap regarding both AMD and installing a 32bit copy of windows. (what kind of shop installs pirated software anyway?). you should see if theyll take back the defective computer and go elsewhere. Rather than building your own you should buy a prebuilt (like a DELL) as theyll have all of these issues worked out before you turn it on.

hope this helps
a b U Graphics card
November 2, 2011 2:43:21 AM

Yeah, definitely 2500k should be the way to go.
Windows 7 x64 is a must too
a b U Graphics card
November 2, 2011 3:02:05 AM

i don't own ssd, but from all the reading i've been through suggest that you use ahci mode (set in bios).
Try reading this link, i think it will help a lot
http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/...

btw: agreed with 2500k as posted by others, but i don't think this is the cause of the slow loading
also agree, go with win 7-6bit
November 2, 2011 3:12:11 AM

well try to get refunded then read learn and build it yourself it fun instructive and its not so hard if you understand the principal that electronic do SHORT when it touch something its not supossed lol

really take your time go slow ask around not just your friend vendor internet here there ask ask and then buy and build or make build by a pc shop near you or whit a friend who its not it first build in term of assembly

and a ssd is good really good stick to that whit a great instalation
a c 109 U Graphics card
November 2, 2011 3:30:41 AM

acid_junkie said:
why? they all should have intel inside? i didnt understand that....i asked intel 2600k initialy but they said that intel not good and bla bla bla...even intel was lot more expensive than the AMD i got finaly!

Phenom x6 goes horribly with the 6990. It would have been better with the 2600k or even the 2500k.
November 2, 2011 9:19:52 AM

thanks everyone a lot .....i ll try to "fix" the bios settings coz as i checked must have many wrong options in there...then i ll get win 7 64bit..i will try get ALL the lastest drivers for everything..and i hope to get the speed issue resolved! the other way is if i dont see anything fixing....money isnt a problem in real..so i ll go ahead in my first option...i ll give away the motherboard and the CPU and i ll get what i had in mind in first place a 2600k....!so lets see :) 
a c 80 U Graphics card
November 2, 2011 9:33:52 AM

@op what psu are you using? ph ii, dual 6990 would take a lot of power to run i assume.
November 2, 2011 11:50:02 AM

Hey, download a program called RadeonPro, it will give you more options to tweak your GPU's. But, mainly you can use it to force triple buffering VSYNC, this is huge, you will not get the input lag from your mouse and it will alleviate any screen tearing.

As mentioned before, ubersampling kills The Witcher 2, just disable it, you will not even notice the visual difference but will receive 2-3 times the performance.
November 2, 2011 12:02:22 PM

jjtober1 said:
Hey, download a program called RadeonPro, it will give you more options to tweak your GPU's. But, mainly you can use it to force triple buffering VSYNC, this is huge, you will not get the input lag from your mouse and it will alleviate any screen tearing.

As mentioned before, ubersampling kills The Witcher 2, just disable it, you will not even notice the visual difference but will receive 2-3 times the performance.

Ubersampling how do i disable it man? where is that?i m downloading right now the windows 7 64bit...I m just not very sure how will i adjust the SSD to run on AHCI from the bios coz even i have quite experience on PC's 20 years now i never had any issues coming from any BIOS on any pc i had till now so i m now familiar with how i do the right settings there! do i have to do it after i format the pc and before the win7 installation?

and another thing i have figured out its not workin correct again....i got the soundblaster fatality champion series....and the only reason i got this card is coz it has optical output and i wanna throw away my 7.1 speakers i have and just use this optical output to connect it to my big home cinema system.....just now i tested the card..if i connect the 7.1 speakers (not the optical output) ...everything sounds perfect ...! i removed the many cords now..and i connected the 1 optical cord to the card and to my home cinema amplifier......but....i have no sound.....i m going thro the options now...but no luck yet....can anyone help on this one ?
November 2, 2011 1:26:28 PM

Why are you people still helping this guy? Tell him to come back when he has legit software.
November 2, 2011 1:50:58 PM

vigilante212 said:
Why are you people still helping this guy? Tell him to come back when he has legit software.

dude i have legit windows 7 since the first week they releashed..but the disk is a lot scratched and its not working....i find it "too much " to go buy again new one..especialy here where i live the legit windows cost up to 600us dollars! do you find this reasonable?
November 2, 2011 5:20:59 PM

For the record, Witcher 2 sold with an open license so you can let friends borrow it. You can install it on as many machines as you want and play it on up to 5 at a time under the same license. As for the rest of this thread, I have been doing research for a month and a half on multiple sites making sure I have the best bang for my buck when building my pc. I'd recommend doing the same next time. Never go off just one person's "opinion" as alot of times it is a preference. Take the time to look at benchmarks and reviews to see which is best. The fact that your buddies "computer store" recommended the AMD chip says something about their business. :-/
November 2, 2011 5:48:36 PM

ozzy702 said:

I have a Crucial M4 128gb SSD set to IDE. Windows 7 Ullt 64 fully boots in about 12 seconds, so an SSD set to IDE is not the problem with your slow boot time.

a c 125 U Graphics card
November 2, 2011 5:50:14 PM

It's mostly all been stated but just to throw it out there:

First off, your "friend" who offered advice and built the PC is a retard. Sorry.

Second, while the 1100T isn't the best CPU to be using, it's not that bad. I would definitely suggest learning to overclock after you get it all set up properly.

Third, IDE mode is completely wrong, as is having 32 bit Windows. So like they said, reinstall Windows 7 64 bit with the BIOS set to ACHI. This will help a lot.

Fourth... 16gb of RAM is pretty useless. You should maybe sell 2 sticks as 8gb for a gaming rig is all you need. I mean, 16gb won't hurt anything so you can of course just keep it, but... it's rather excessive.

The 6990 is also a bit of a strange purchase. Generally speaking it's too expensive for the performance, especially when a pair of 6950s would perform better. Still, it should give very good performance. Make sure you install the newest CAP (when you go to AMD's graphics driver download page, there's the driver and a CAP that need to be downloaded and installed separately. Newest right now is 11.10 driver and 11.9 CAP4 I think).

Good luck.
a c 125 U Graphics card
November 2, 2011 5:51:32 PM

roscolo said:
I have a Crucial M4 128gb SSD set to IDE. Windows 7 Ullt 64 fully boots in about 12 seconds, so an SSD set to IDE is not the problem with your slow boot time.

It will slow down. IDE doesn't allow the use of TRIM, so eventually every write operation will take 3x as long.

At least, this was true as of the last time I did research into SSDs.
November 2, 2011 6:00:19 PM

wolfram23 said:
It will slow down. IDE doesn't allow the use of TRIM,

Point taken. But he said his new build was taking longer to boot into Windows than his 6 yr. old PC. I keep everything set to IDE and I'm fully booted in 12 seconds. Programs also load pretty much instantly. IDE is slower than AHCI, but we're talking milliseconds here, so not a big deal to me. Not that he or anyone else should choose IDE over AHCI, but having that SSD set to IDE isn't his problem regarding taking forever to boot into Windows.

November 2, 2011 7:34:23 PM

acid_junkie said:
dude i have legit windows 7 since the first week they releashed..but the disk is a lot scratched and its not working....i find it "too much " to go buy again new one..especialy here where i live the legit windows cost up to 600us dollars! do you find this reasonable?

Perhaps you should take better care of your stuff. I have a disk from when 7 first came out and I can still install with it no problems. I also have the digital copy of 7 that I can burn to disk or make into a bootable usb if i choose to. Perhaps a legit copy wouldn't cost you so much if there were less copies of pirated software about?
!