Sign in with
Your question

Live Video Streaming Question

Last response: in Networking
January 25, 2011 4:38:21 PM

Hello all.
I need to do some live video streaming for a lot of viewers, sort of like and online webtv channel. I have the necessary software for encoding, but my question is this. How do i provide enough bandwidth for say 1,000 people? 10,000? 1,000,000? Currently we have a fan base of about 30,000, and I'm afraid that once we launch our site, we cannot provide the quality we want, from our site. So I know that a multicast broadcast would work, because it is using only one connection bandwidth, but will it work for everyone to connect to? I heard that not everyone can connect to a multicast stream, is this correct? What are my alternatives for this broadcast then? How can i broadcast my live stream without bandwidth issues? Thanks in advance.
January 25, 2011 7:35:15 PM

www.ustream.com

To use your own setup, contact an ISP and talk to them about hosting a web page for you or how to setup a connnection that will work.
m
l
January 25, 2012 11:59:23 PM

turbowrx03 said:
Hello all.
I need to do some live video streaming for a lot of viewers, sort of like and online webtv channel. I have the necessary software for encoding, but my question is this. How do i provide enough bandwidth for say 1,000 people? 10,000? 1,000,000? Currently we have a fan base of about 30,000, and I'm afraid that once we launch our site, we cannot provide the quality we want, from our site. So I know that a multicast broadcast would work, because it is using only one connection bandwidth, but will it work for everyone to connect to? I heard that not everyone can connect to a multicast stream, is this correct? What are my alternatives for this broadcast then? How can i broadcast my live stream without bandwidth issues? Thanks in advance.

Checkout this bandwidth calculator from dacast(Online video platform) to measure how much bandwidth you need for your audience: http://www.dacast.com/streaming-pricing-calculator.html
m
l
!