Sign in with
Your question

GTX460 Overheating... problem!!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 1, 2011 11:37:10 PM

Hi

A few hours ago, I have just installed Zalman's heatsinks for the memory on my GPU. But when I reassembled everything back, my GTX460 would go to 95*C in less than 3 mins as I would be stressing the card out. Prior to the heatsinks installment, the card wouldn't go above 80*C after stressing it out @ 850Mhz/1050Mhz/1700Mhz for a couple of minutes on 1080p resolution.

What could have done wrong? I even set the card at default and it still went that high!
COuld it be that I haven't put enough of the paste of the chip? 'Cause I have put about twice the quantity that I normally put on a CPU as a drop.
a c 156 Î Nvidia
November 2, 2011 12:02:36 AM

Sounds like bad assembly! Depending on what you are using to stress the card 80°C is fine since max temp is 99°C
m
l
November 2, 2011 12:14:09 AM

rolli59 said:
Sounds like bad assembly! Depending on what you are using to stress the card 80°C is fine since max temp is 99°C

I have been using OCZ Freeze. Perhaps that could have been one reason why it went up instead of dropping?!? But then again, I have just found out about that website http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=669088&mpage=1
So I Could do it either later or tmr.

Any additional suggestions would be helpful.
m
l
Related resources
November 2, 2011 12:15:28 AM

^ agree - does not sound like GPU & heat sink surfaces are mated correctly with the proper amount of thermal compound. You want just enough to fill in the imperfections - too much and heat transfer suffers.
-Bruce
m
l
November 2, 2011 12:27:24 AM

dish_moose said:
^ agree - does not sound like GPU & heat sink surfaces are mated correctly with the proper amount of thermal compound. You want just enough to fill in the imperfections - too much and heat transfer suffers.
-Bruce

I think your answers cries back me for putting a big pea size of thermal paste right in the middle.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
November 2, 2011 12:31:24 AM

Big pea? Probably too much TIM. I've heard that putting the heatsink on can be a major PITA. I'd bet its also not on correctly. Tighten things down.
m
l
November 2, 2011 12:24:59 PM

I got good news and bad news after reapplying the thermal compound..

The good is that the temp doesn't go up as a rocket within 3 mins.... The bad news is that at 5mins top, it hits 95.

I put two lines and then used a small card to smooth the paste. Now I wonder, should I rather cover all of the chip's surface with the paste?

Last night, when I was testing the temp while playing a few games (not stressing it out), the card wouldn't go above 73C while it was at stock.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
November 2, 2011 1:18:17 PM

I vote it should be covered, as thinly as possible. And I mean thin.

Don't forget, screw it on TIGHT!
m
l
November 2, 2011 4:56:53 PM

i second the last reply - thin and all over the chip evenly nowhere else and nice and tight when replacing sink and take much care watch static build up etc

chaz
m
l
November 2, 2011 4:58:56 PM

^^ listen to these doods, they know what they are talking about. use the business card method and get that compound thin and spread
m
l
November 2, 2011 5:13:15 PM

last time i did some thermal pasting it was cpu and found one of these was great using my finger as the spreader but ive used cards for gpus in the past, if you are using a metal based thermal paste make sure its limited to the surface of the gpu only, i.e. hasnt gone ever the edge that said good advice to stick to the gpu surface even with non-metal based pastes i reckon :-)

m
l
November 2, 2011 6:40:07 PM

So I have again reapplied the TC on all the surface.
However, when I was about to screw it back, I notice that the top 4 vram's heatsinks were touching the copper tubes. So maybe, just maybe, that can be the reason why the temp gets that hot. Say, those ram heatsink are already fairly small, is there a way that I could cut out a bit of it? Like 0.5mm? :) 
I also don't know if it's good idea to have half of all those ram hs installed if I were to remove the top ones
m
l
a c 156 Î Nvidia
November 3, 2011 10:22:01 PM

Touching the tubes can stop it from making proper contact to the GPU, grinding cutting them down should help.
m
l
November 6, 2011 12:28:43 AM

thrunthru said:
Hi

A few hours ago, I have just installed Zalman's heatsinks for the memory on my GPU. But when I reassembled everything back, my GTX460 would go to 95*C in less than 3 mins as I would be stressing the card out. Prior to the heatsinks installment, the card wouldn't go above 80*C after stressing it out @ 850Mhz/1050Mhz/1700Mhz for a couple of minutes on 1080p resolution.

What could have done wrong? I even set the card at default and it still went that high!
COuld it be that I haven't put enough of the paste of the chip? 'Cause I have put about twice the quantity that I normally put on a CPU as a drop.

Hey

I have my "Acer Aspire Predator Defender" in my cupboard, including a 460.

I often play BF3 for hours upon hours and i have no problems.
m
l
November 6, 2011 12:30:24 AM

thrunthru said:
I got good news and bad news after reapplying the thermal compound..

The good is that the temp doesn't go up as a rocket within 3 mins.... The bad news is that at 5mins top, it hits 95.

I put two lines and then used a small card to smooth the paste. Now I wonder, should I rather cover all of the chip's surface with the paste?

Last night, when I was testing the temp while playing a few games (not stressing it out), the card wouldn't go above 73C while it was at stock.

After reading more of your replys,

When applying the "stuff" (=D) apply a very thin layer, NOT a big pea size
m
l
!