64 degrees too hot?

jimlau

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
i have an M5A88-M motherboard and AMD Phenom II X4 cpu. is it ok for the cpu to get to 64 degrees for an hour, while converting videos?

thanks.

Azn Cracker

Distinguished

If the cpu overheats, it will shut itself down. I don't think a few hours will do much harm. Just don't do it too much. If you are really worried about it, upgrade the cpu cooler from stock.

I am not sure of that but you can undervolt it a little (by .05 increments) to make it run slower/cooler.

Tsukuyomi0101

Honorable
Feb 13, 2013
Yes it is entirely possible to underclock a CPU, im not sure exactly how but i dont imagine it would be too hard to find out.

http://sleekslacker.wordpress.com/2010/09/19/underclocking-amd-phenom-ii-x4-965-be/

Didnt totally read through this, so it might or might not help.

Cheers

jimlau

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
i am considering changing the cooling fan form the stock one. does anyone know what's involved in doing that? any soldering, or just clips?

motherboard is M5A88-M.

thanks.

Most CPU coolers use a backplate and you need to be able to get to the back of the mb. If you do not have a cutout then you need to remove the mb from the case. Most of the coolers already have the thermal paste applied. Installing a new one is not very hard and you will see some real gains. I suggest the Coolmaster Hyper 212 EVO. It is usually $30 and does a wonderful job for the price.