PSU help please

naqib99

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
So basically I'm going to start a new build for the first time when the ivy bridge processors come out. I just need some help on deciding what type of psu I should get. These are the specs that I'll probably choose:
-core i5 2500K or 3500K when it comes out
-a z68 mobo or the new ivy bridge mobos
-a gtx 570 or dual 7770s or a 670 when it comes out
-7200rpm 500gb hdd
-no ssd but I probably will get one in the future
-normal dvd rom
-2 to 3 fans
-cooler master haf 912
It's my first time and I'm completely lost. Also, any suggestions would be great :) . Note that it has to be from newegg.ca or tigerdirect.ca cause I live in the CANADIANNNNA. Also should i go for modular or non-modular.

Solution
For a system using a single Radeon HD 6870 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 30 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

For a system using two Radeon HD 6870 graphics cards in 2-way CrossFireX mode AMD specifies a minimum of an 600 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 45 Amps or greater and have at least four 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply...

naqib99

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
thanks for the advice. I think I've changed my mind. My mobo will be a ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 and i'll use a 6870 from sapphire. I was wondering if the graphics card is compatable with the mobo and how would it change my require psu? will 650 watt be enough?
ps the graphics card is pci express 2.1 and my mobo has pci express 3.0 and 2.0 but no 2.1. It's my first build and I only have a general idea about computers.

For a system using a single Radeon HD 6870 graphics card AMD specifies a minimum of a 500 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 30 Amps or greater and have at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

For a system using two Radeon HD 6870 graphics cards in 2-way CrossFireX mode AMD specifies a minimum of an 600 Watt or greater power supply. The power supply should also have a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 45 Amps or greater and have at least four 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

Total Power Supply Wattage is NOT the crucial factor in power supply selection!!! Total Continuous Amperage Available on the +12V Rail(s) is the most important factor.

ncix.com's Easter Sale:

This one has only two (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors:
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=58381&vpn=CMPSU-650TXV2&manufacture=Corsair&promoid=1101

This one has four (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors:
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=42532&vpn=CMPSU-650HX&manufacture=Corsair

Solution

Pcie 3.0 is backwards compatible, as for your power supply, a corsair tx650w will be a great choice. It will even support 2 of them :)

naqib99

Honorable
Apr 8, 2012
thanks for the addvice. I'll probably get the 650 watt so i can go crossfire in the future. It sucks how in Canada we don't have that psu on sale.