Sign in with
Your question

Gigabyte Motherboard Driver ga-990fxa-ud3

Last response: in Motherboards
February 16, 2013 9:21:16 PM

I recently built a new computer using a GA-990FXA-UD3 motherboard. Everything seems to work great, but the motherboard driver disk seems to be having some problems. First off, it takes a whole 18 minutes just to install the .net Microsoft framework. It then goes on and installs other things like the sound and chipset drivers, until it freezes a whole 40 minutes into the download. This has happened tw times so far. The real problem, however, is that when i restart after it freezes, the cd drive doesnt show up. In device manager, it shows up as having some error. I have tried this from the original disk, as well as from a usb drive. I am running windows vista ultimate.
February 26, 2013 3:50:18 AM

It's a general ruof thumb that you should never install the drivers that are on the cd that came with the motherboard. The only time it is a good time to do that is for RAID controller drivers during the OS install since you wouldn't be able to install the OS without them (if you were installing behind a RAID controller)...

1. Do your Vista install
2. if Vista doesn't have drivers for your network card in order to be able to get online and download update drivers for everything else then selectively install just the netork driver. (Do it oldschool and go into device manager, find the unknown NIC, and install the driver by pointing to the proper folder on the cd if you have to)
3. once networking is up, go online and download the most recent drivers, installing only what you need/will use. For instance, don't install all the eco green utility crap or other intrusive crappy software they "bundle" for you...
4. Things should work. If they don't, then there is another problem somewhere and seeing as how it takes so long to install things it is I/O related. Meaning it's (A) something overheating (B) something not getting enough power (C) a bad component most likely in this order, hard drive=>motherboard=>processor=>ram This is assuming you've already ruled out the power supply since this should have been covered in (B)....
9 times out of 10 all instability issues stem from the power supply.
m
l
!