Sign in with
Your question

Network drive letter assigned to sdram is lost or changed

Last response: in Networking
January 25, 2011 6:16:23 PM

This is a weird one. I have a client who has 2 XP laptops--one has non-working USB ports, the other is a newer netbook. I have mapped a network drive on the Non-USB computer to a sdram camera chip in a USB adapter plugged in and shared on the netbook, to allow the client access to her camera pix when she is using the non-usb laptop, for the purpose of emailing pictures.
The problem is, when the netbook is rebooted it does not always assign the same drive letter to this sdram chip, which makes the network drive inoperable, and as she is pretty much a Luddite concerning computers, she is unable to reconfigure the network drive to the new drive letter, so the whole thing breaks down.
I have thought of using tweakui to disable all but one 'extra' drive letter so the netbook has only one choice of drive letter for the usb/sdram camera chip.

Any other ideas. anyone?
January 25, 2011 7:31:56 PM

Why can't the user just email the pictures from the laptop with working USB ports? She's adding an extra steps to the whole process. Turn on both laptops, connect the card to one laptop. Then go to the second laptop, connect to the 1st laptop, email. Ridiculous.

Get her one of these http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E... for the laptop with bad USB ports.

I would not mess around with blocking drive letters or mapping drives for a novice user.
m
l
January 25, 2011 9:25:26 PM

I know it sounds ridiculous.....

She bought the netbook because it was so cheap--now she finds it hard to use because because of the small screen and keys.

If she just copied the pictures from the camera's media to a shared folder on the non-usb computer, I could network the folder and that would be that. But for some reason she doesn't want to put pictures on the netbook--for what reason I don't know.

I get ticked off with newbie computer users when they want things a certain way but they have no concept of how computers work, and that Operating Systems are set up to do things in a certain way. She learned some real convoluted ways of doing things, and has to be dragged kicking and screaming to make a simple change in the way she does things, as she has no confidence in her ability to learn any different approach to doing what she does.

I think I'll tell her to either copy the pictures to a network folder, or get someone else to frustrate themselves trying to appease her.

I will mention the pci-usb adapter--however, I won't be purchasing from Newegg, as they won't ship to a P.O. Box, and that is the only delivery service I have in the small Canadian village that I live in.

Thanks for your feedback!
m
l
January 26, 2011 1:46:03 PM

swanserv said:
I know it sounds ridiculous.....

She bought the netbook because it was so cheap--now she finds it hard to use because because of the small screen and keys.

If she just copied the pictures from the camera's media to a shared folder on the non-usb computer, I could network the folder and that would be that. But for some reason she doesn't want to put pictures on the netbook--for what reason I don't know.

I get ticked off with newbie computer users when they want things a certain way but they have no concept of how computers work, and that Operating Systems are set up to do things in a certain way. She learned some real convoluted ways of doing things, and has to be dragged kicking and screaming to make a simple change in the way she does things, as she has no confidence in her ability to learn any different approach to doing what she does.

I think I'll tell her to either copy the pictures to a network folder, or get someone else to frustrate themselves trying to appease her.

I will mention the pci-usb adapter--however, I won't be purchasing from Newegg, as they won't ship to a P.O. Box, and that is the only delivery service I have in the small Canadian village that I live in.

Thanks for your feedback!

Newegg or not, does not matter, I was just showing you the hardware. And it's not a PCI to USB.. it's PCMCIA to USB, or PC Card, or Express Slot, depending on how old the laptop is. Good Luck with it, I know some people do nutty things that they "learned", like using a web search to go to any web page instead of just typing in the address. I have seen people get messed up with using a program because one of 3 icons were moved around, and they only knew to click "the middle" icon, no clue what it was called or what it looked like.
m
l
!