Sign in with
Your question

Problems with my new custom build.

Last response: in Systems
December 30, 2011 6:34:21 PM

Hello, I have been building a new pc and have encountered a problem.

Using the motherboard's instruction manual (the motherboard is a Gigabyte 880GM-UD2H) to work out which pins go where, I put all the parts together, apart from the video card (Powercolor AMD Radeon 6870 1GB).

I connected the monitor with a VGA cable to the port on the motherboard. The DVD Drive LED lit up, however the SATA HDD LED did not.

I decided to reformat the hdd to see if it fixed anything. I used a SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 cable and plugged in the SATA drive. However, the HDD refused to spin, whatever I did. I tried to attach an IDE drive to the SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 and it read the disk. I formatted the IDE drive and installed that to my pc instead of the SATA one.

Now when I turned it on, the HDD and DVD Drive lights all lit up, however there was no display on the monitor. I switched off the PC and connected the IDE drive to the SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 cable, and the IDE drive now refused to spin, just like the SATA drive.

The power supply I am using is a 750w Win Power. The processor is an AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition and I am using the stock cooler.

I'm completely lost for ideas. All I can see is that something about my PC is breaking my hard drives.

Can anyone shine any light on anything? Many thanks.

More about : problems custom build

December 30, 2011 6:48:26 PM

When you say the HDD LED, is that the activity light that flashes when the hdd is in use? It could be possible that you connected the LED wires to the wrong pins, maybe reversed the connections?

So is the IDE drive inside the case or is it connected externally? You might have wanted to invest in a better PSU but it could be that your USB ports are not getting power.
December 30, 2011 6:57:03 PM

Engima said:
When you say the HDD LED, is that the activity light that flashes when the hdd is in use? It could be possible that you connected the LED wires to the wrong pins, maybe reversed the connections?

So is the IDE drive inside the case or is it connected externally? You might have wanted to invest in a better PSU but it could be that your USB ports are not getting power.

Yes, I am talking about the activity light. I will have another look at the connections.

The IDE drive was connected externally to a laptop to format it, and then was installed to the PC. After installing to the PC and trying to connect externally to the laptop again, the hard drive wouldn't spin.

This still does not explain why my hard drives are breaking after installing them to the PC.
Related resources
December 30, 2011 7:22:32 PM

If the HDD is SATA drive then there should be a SATA cable connecting the HDD to the motherboard and then a separate connector from the PSU to provide power to the HDD.
December 30, 2011 7:26:45 PM

Engima said:
If the HDD is SATA drive then there should be a SATA cable connecting the HDD to the motherboard and then a separate connector from the PSU to provide power to the HDD.

Yes, this is how I connected the hard drive to the PC.
!