Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Computer powers on but not Booting. Motherboard Dead?

Tags:
  • Prebuilt
  • Computer
  • Motherboards
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
December 30, 2011 6:57:57 PM

I am Fixing a Prebuilt Toshiba Satellite A135-S2246 and I can't diagnose the problem with it.

The computer will power on and the fans will all Spin but there is no BIOS screen, Start-up Screen, or video output what so ever. At first I thought it was either the Laptops bulb or LCD Inverter and ended up replacing them both but that was not the problem. Then I noticed the HDD Access light was not on and the keyboard wouldn't function. I tried to check the Motherboard by taking out both sticks of memory and trying to listen for a continuous beeping sound but that is not there either. No sounds upon booting at all. I haven't tried anything else yet, but I can sure use some suggestions as to the problem and diagnosing techniques. Help will be appreciated and I could try to perform any suggested actions and give you specifications if you would like. Thank you.

More about : computer powers booting motherboard dead

a b V Motherboard
December 30, 2011 10:01:06 PM

I doubt it's a repairable thing at this point.
- Make sure you are not clogged up with dust and that the CPU fan spins.
- See if booting without a battery will work.
- Follow manufacturers instructions for resetting the BIOS, although that is likely not going to do anything because you never get a POST screen at all.
- See if you post with the HDD disconnected.
Other than that, there are many sub-$500 laptops with far more going for them.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 30, 2011 11:59:31 PM

"...fans will all Spin but there is no BIOS screen, Start-up Screen, or video output what so ever. ..."

Did you try external monitor ?
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
December 31, 2011 5:02:03 PM

tsnor said:
"...fans will all Spin but there is no BIOS screen, Start-up Screen, or video output what so ever. ..."

Did you try external monitor ?

That is one of the First things I tried, Just forgot to mention it...
m
l
December 31, 2011 5:04:56 PM

Proximon said:
I doubt it's a repairable thing at this point.
- Make sure you are not clogged up with dust and that the CPU fan spins.
- See if booting without a battery will work.
- Follow manufacturers instructions for resetting the BIOS, although that is likely not going to do anything because you never get a POST screen at all.
- See if you post with the HDD disconnected.
Other than that, there are many sub-$500 laptops with far more going for them.

At this point It probably isn't worth it.... I am pretty sure it Is a complete Motherboard failure.... I'll just give them the information off their hard drive and tell them to cut their losses.... They can definitely put the $300 that would go to replacing this board to a new computer... Thank you.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 31, 2011 7:19:50 PM

If you are comfortable swapping lcds or MBs, getting a parts chassis like this one "Toshiba Satellite A135-S2246 Laptop/Notebook cracked screen, for parts/repair" and merging it with your current system might give you a working system for $80 plus a few parts to keep on reserve like a keyboard. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toshiba-Satellite-A135-S2246-La... (I didn't read the EBAY post, just picked one at random so it could be bad or overpriced, but you get the concept.)
m
l