6950 Problem

BellyFlop

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
I just purchased a HD 6950 and installed into the case today. Problem is that computer won't boot (just a flash of LEDs in case and then nothing) with the cables to the three monitors plugged in. If I remove the cables, it boots fine. At that point, I can plug in the cables and all is well. It will restart no problem but a cold start and only frustration and anger. This card is replacing a HD 5870 that was crashing (BSOD) and I have not had any problems like this before. I built this machine, so I am certain that the other components are operating fine. Power supply is 1200W with plenty of power to spare.

Please throw some ideas that I can try to allow this computer to boot with cables plugged in.

Note: I have three monitors, but only two are being used due to me not realizing that I ordered passive DP cables. I have active cable ordered. This could be problem. I also suspect a short somewhere on the card (that would suck) and I will have to send it back.

Thank you.

fenrirwc

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2011
3 monitors off of a single 6950 you crazy =P

my initial thought was your powersupply but with 1200w you can rule that out im pretty sure. Are you able to boot it successfully with 1 or 2 monitors plugged in or does it fail to boot with any plugged in?

BellyFlop

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
I've been told I'm crazy for three monitors.

I just discovered something this morning. It won't boot if the Mini display port cable is plugged in. It will boot with the DVI-D and HDMI plugged in. I'm guessing it has something to do with display port cable being passive. New active cable here Friday.