Sign in with
Your question
Solved

P45TurboTwins2000 Mobo not Recognizing RAM

Last response: in Motherboards
February 17, 2013 6:04:24 AM

First just the stats of my setup, brief gist of the problem and what I've tried.

I've looked around quite a bit and thought the RAM was compatible but maybe
someone with more experience can point out where I'm going wrong or how to fix it.

Stats:
Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit SP1
Intel Core 2 duo E8500 @ 3.16Ghz (Not overclocked)
4GB RAM (not overclocked) W1333UB2GM DDR3-1333 2G/128x8 Micron Super Talent
P45TurboTwins2000 Mobo (P45R2000)
http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/P45TurboTwins2000/index....

New Memory
Mushkin Enhanced Silverline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model 996770
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-226-...

Problem:
I installed 2x4GB RAM cards in addition to the 2x2GB into the Mobo and tried
booting up. CPU light comes on but monitor never turns on. Never see the bootup
screen. Nothing happens. Pull out the new RAM and it boots up fine.

What I've Tried:
Adding one module at a time in all the open DDR3 slots...4 avail. Pink and Green
pairs. Adding 2 in each. Adding old and new RAM and every combination in
between. Still the same results.
I went into the bios with the old RAM installed to have a look around.
Here's the high points
Bios version P45TurboTwins2000 P1.20
It's in Dual Channel Mode
DDR3A1 2048MB/400Mhz (DDR3 800)
DDR3B1 None
DDR3A2 2048MB/400Mhz (DDR3 800)
DDR3B2 None

Chipset settings
Mem Remap enabled
DRAM freq set to auto
Flexibility option was disabled. Tried all of the above with it enabled and no change.
DRAM voltage set to auto

At this point I thought of resetting the CMOS but I'm not sure if that would do anything. I'd appreciate some help. Thanks :) 
a c 480 V Motherboard
February 18, 2013 1:06:21 AM

Max RAM is 8GB for the DDR2 or DDR3 RAM. Your MB only supports the 2GB ram module so when you install the 2X4GB DDR3 RAM, the PC don't boot.
m
l
February 18, 2013 1:19:39 AM

cin19 said:
Max RAM is 8GB for the DDR2 or DDR3 RAM. Your MB only supports the 2GB ram module so when you install the 2X4GB DDR3 RAM, the PC don't boot.

So it only supports 2GB sticks? I can't find that in the manual. Can you tell me how you know so I can look for it next time?
m
l
Related resources
February 18, 2013 2:03:56 AM

cin19 said:
From company website. http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/P45TurboTwins2000/index....

Also you can read the manual too.

Come on man don't treat my like I'm an idiot. I'm trying to learn here. I posted the manual link. I've read through it but what I understood from it didn't yield the right memory selection. So I posted to try and figure out why.

As per the website
Supports Dual Channel DDR3 1333/1066 (4 x DIMM slots) with max. capacity up to 8GB and Dual Channel DDR2 1066/800/667 (2 x DIMM slots) with max. capacity up to 8GB

It says 1333 memory max capacity 8GB. I put in 2 x 4GB sticks. That's 8GB. I'm not over the max but it doesn't work.

Thanks
m
l

Best solution

a c 480 V Motherboard
February 18, 2013 3:24:05 AM

The fact is I do read the manual too, I do mean that.

Both of DDR2 and DDR3 RAM do support the max 8GB. But DDR2 has two RAM slots (yellow), and DDR3 has four slots. For DDR2 you can use 2X4GB, but for DDR3 you only can use 4x2GB RAM not the 2x4GB RAM.
February 18, 2013 3:32:01 AM

cin19 said:

Both of DDR2 and DDR3 RAM do support the max 8GB. But DDR2 has two RAM slots (yellow), and DDR3 has four slots. For DDR2 you can use 2X4GB, but for DDR3 you only can use 4x2GB RAM not the 2x4GB RAM.

I appreciate your patience in responding. I guess I just don't get why I can't put 2x4GB in. Am I to infer that since there is 4 slots and 8GB max that I can only put 2GB per slot? So if there was 8 slots and 8GB max I woul infer I could only put 1GB per slot? Does it spell it out somewhere in the manual or is this some vague fact mobo manuf expect everyone to know?
m
l
a c 480 V Motherboard
February 18, 2013 3:47:07 AM

Yes, correct.
m
l
February 19, 2013 6:09:43 AM

Best answer selected by gearjammer1.
m
l
November 12, 2013 8:00:13 AM

cin19 said:

gearjammer1 said:
Best answer selected by gearjammer1.

I have the same motherboard as he does and I have always used two 4GB DDR3 ram sticks. I later purchased two new 4GB DDR3 ram sticks, since my previous ones were faulty. This motherboard has no problem recognizing 4GB DDR3 ram modules.

In regards to the OP, are you sure both DDR3 RAM modules are working? Have you tried them in a different computer? Have you also tried without the old RAM installed? Also, I take it you have the 2.10 BIOS version, not the 1.20 version?

I have one PC3-10600 4GB and one PC3-8500 4GB ram installed, working fine.
m
l
February 27, 2014 8:45:30 AM

It took me forever to find where I posted this question.
So I've taken out 2 of the sticks of ram because my computer kept crashing. I've tried all kinds of combinations of 2 sticks and it won't crash. As soon as I but all 4 x 2GB of ram sticks in there it crashes. I doubled checked it's the right slots. I ran all kinds of stress tests on video card and hard drives and RAM and found no errors. It keeps blaming some video card driver file but I've reinstalled all that and stress tested everything and played tons of games on 2 sticks with no issues. With 4 in I get a crash within 10 min.

I haven't updated the BIOS ever since I bought it so maybe that's the issue? The website scares you to death about doing it cause if you mess it up your computer is toast!

Any other suggestions if the BIOS update doesn't work?
m
l
July 26, 2014 1:46:09 AM

Quote:
It took me forever to find where I posted this question.
So I've taken out 2 of the sticks of ram because my computer kept crashing. I've tried all kinds of combinations of 2 sticks and it won't crash. As soon as I but all 4 x 2GB of ram sticks in there it crashes. I doubled checked it's the right slots. I ran all kinds of stress tests on video card and hard drives and RAM and found no errors. It keeps blaming some video card driver file but I've reinstalled all that and stress tested everything and played tons of games on 2 sticks with no issues. With 4 in I get a crash within 10 min.

I haven't updated the BIOS ever since I bought it so maybe that's the issue? The website scares you to death about doing it cause if you mess it up your computer is toast!

Any other suggestions if the BIOS update doesn't work?

I did get some similar problems with corsair ram. I did found one workaround: input manual parameters for the ram in the bios. But i finished to had two ram card making some trouble, and replaced them with gskill ones. And now all is running fine with auto parameters.
And iremember to had seen that the motherboard only support 2GB ram in ddr3 and due to a wrong expedidition, i could try that 4GB corsair ram isn't working. (and i'm in the latest firmware bios, without any update)
m
l
July 27, 2014 12:32:03 PM

I tried updating the BIOS as well and no luck. I've been running 2 sticks for awhile now. The pairs both work independently but not together. You entered manual parameters and it worked huh? Do you just look them up for the ram you have and put them in the BIOS? I'll have to give that a shot. I could really use the extra RAM
m
l
!