Sign in with
Your question
Solved

System Shuts off instantly, Blue Screen on Power on; After shut off

Last response: in Motherboards
February 17, 2013 6:28:31 AM

I am not sure what to do. I have this sinking feeling of defeat and starting to regret.
I have the:

1. ASUS Sabertooth X79 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard, 32GB
2. CosAir Vengence 1600 RAM
3. CosAir HX750 PSU
4 .EVGA 03G-P4-3668-KR GeForce GTX 660 Ti FTW+ 3GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card. Very lean and straight forward setup.

Everything seems to be running well until I shut down the computer and turn off the power switch on the PSU.

When I turn the computer back on, it shuts-off instantly as if the power went out. By shut off I mean the power led, the entire system, Fans and all. Then after exactly 5 seconds, everything turns on and the computer boots into Windows.

Sometimes, I'll get a blue screen after the computer reboots.

Here is the crazy part, everything seems to work, the computer restarts well, go to sleep but as soon as I shut the PSU and turn back on, it shuts off and I get some blue screens.

Any IDEA, I would rather ask than start to tear things apart.

Thank everyone.

AMP
a c 154 V Motherboard
February 17, 2013 10:08:22 AM

What errors are reported with your blue screens?
m
l

Best solution

a c 466 V Motherboard
February 17, 2013 10:11:19 AM

have you updated the bios?? sounds like to me the mb failing on cold boot to set your ram speed up right and is faiiling back like an over clock failure.
Related resources
February 17, 2013 4:13:11 PM

Good day,

Yes I updated the BIOS to the Lates Release. The first thing I noticed when I turned on the Computer is the an Error saying: CPU Fan Error. The Fan is spinning, sometimes over 800RPM. So I switched the Fan to a regular chases Fan port and get the same message. This messages, just like the shut off issue is sporadic and only appears after cold starts.

The Blues screen has not re-occurred, but the shut down continues.

I can shut down the computer, Retart and everything works fine. But if I shut down the PSU by using the PSU switch, the computer shuts down and restarts after 5 seconds.

Note: I do not get a blue screen.

Thanks again
m
l
a c 154 V Motherboard
February 17, 2013 4:20:52 PM

You can sometimes get the CPU fan error message if the fan does not get to speed in the time the computer expects it to. That will happen only after a cold start, restarting does not allow the fan(s) to stop so it isn't a problem then. You may want to monitor your temps with a free program such as CoreTemp.
m
l
February 17, 2013 4:42:45 PM

Hello everyone, I am starting to see a tiny bit of candle light at the END of the tunnle.

So in my BIOA there are three Settings.

1. PowerSaver
2. Standard
3. ASUS Optimal

When the Computer is on PowerSaver or Standard the problem never happens. As soon as I put it on Optimal the shut down starts to occur.

So I reset the BIOS to Standard and shut down the computer, I pull away the powercord and held down the powerswitch for 10 seconds. I need to make sure eveyrthing is out.

I turn on the computer and it never shuts off and restarts like before. I repeated this steps like 5 times and the shut down never happened. Switching back to Standard MAY have solves the issue.

I also looked at my Graphics card and saw that it requires 450Watts and24AMPs of power.

Another thing I noticed in the BIOS is that the Installed RAM is 1600MHZ but I see it is running at 1333MHZ, is there a reason why?

Thanks my friends.

m
l
a c 466 V Motherboard
February 17, 2013 5:10:09 PM

the over clock mode of the aus bios changes the ram to cpu timing from 1 to 1 to 1 to 5 and can cause issues. for the fan not seen issue at post put the cpu back on the cpu header in the bios go under hardware monitor and set the fan warning to 600 rpm or less the warning will stop and you only see them if the fan stops. for the ram go under ai tweeker under dram speed turn on xmp profile to run at your ram max speed.
m
l
February 17, 2013 5:16:41 PM

Thanks for the advise/recommendations.
I will NOT be playing games on this computer but will be doing lots of video editing, should I consider getting a different PSU with higher wattage?

Thanks again!
m
l
a c 154 V Motherboard
February 17, 2013 6:55:32 PM

Amplitude64 said:

I also looked at my Graphics card and saw that it requires 450Watts and24AMPs of power.

Not the graphics card that requires 450W but the PSU should be able to supply 450W to the system. The requirement for the graphics card itself is 24A (which is 288W, volts x amps = Watts). A more powerful PSU is not needed here but the PSU may easily be the issue. I've seen quite a few issues lately with Corsair PSU's, has me wondering if they didn't pick up some faulty parts from their supplier. If you have access to a known working PSU (even a 450W), I'd suggest a swap to see if your issues persist.
Hope it helps
m
l
February 17, 2013 7:07:00 PM

Thank you so much. The computer works perfectly when performance is set to Standard in BIOS.
Unfortunately I do not have a different PSU to perform the kind of Test you mentioned.

The only thing will be to return it and get a different one.

Not sure what to do. I think I'll get a different one, try it and see what happens and RMA this one. Regardless I want to be safe.
I bought the CorsAir because it comes with a 7 Years Warranty. Nobody gives you that kind of Guarantee.

Thanks again!
m
l
a c 154 V Motherboard
February 17, 2013 7:21:29 PM

Amplitude64 said:
... because it comes with a 7 Years Warranty. Nobody gives you that kind of Guarantee.

SeaSonic does on all of their 80+ platinum and some of their 80+ gold models
m
l
February 23, 2013 5:26:22 PM

This is an UPDATE:

So far I have been using the computer in Standard Power Mode (This is set in the BIOS) and I have had absolutely no issues. Everything works as expected. I even upgraded the RAM to 64GB and added two additional Fans, and everything works. The problem has been isolated and determined to be caused by the Optimal Mode Setting in The BIOS. These issues does not occur when the system runs in Standard mode.

Regardless, I contacted ASUS and chatted with 2 Tech Supports Reps, I was not satisfied.
Both told me the problem most likely is with the MOBO and I should return it for a different one.

Now I have to carefully take the entire computer apart so I don't break anything. On one side, I do not want to take the computer apart and want to use as is, on the other end, I still have 30 days to return and feel either I change this now or it MAY BECOME a problem in the future.

I do not believe this issue is caused by the MOBO but the folks at ASUS thinks so. I find their support one of the worse in the business. They did not ask me any questions and instantly pointed the issue to the MOBO. Maybe they are right but I am not sure.

So I am going to RMA the MOBO and get another one and try it.

What are your thoughts?

AMP
m
l
February 23, 2013 5:26:29 PM

This is an UPDATE:

So far I have been using the computer in Standard Power Mode (This is set in the BIOS) and I have had absolutely no issues. Everything works as expected. I even upgraded the RAM to 64GB and added two additional Fans, and everything works. The problem has been isolated and determined to be caused by the Optimal Mode Setting in The BIOS. These issues does not occur when the system runs in Standard mode.

Regardless, I contacted ASUS and chatted with 2 Tech Supports Reps, I was not satisfied.
Both told me the problem most likely is with the MOBO and I should return it for a different one.

Now I have to carefully take the entire computer apart so I don't break anything. On one side, I do not want to take the computer apart and want to use as is, on the other end, I still have 30 days to return and feel either I change this now or it MAY BECOME a problem in the future.

I do not believe this issue is caused by the MOBO but the folks at ASUS thinks so. I find their support one of the worse in the business. They did not ask me any questions and instantly pointed the issue to the MOBO. Maybe they are right but I am not sure.

What are your thoughts?

AMP
m
l
February 23, 2013 5:26:39 PM

This is an UPDATE:

What are your thoughts?

AMP
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 24, 2013 12:24:08 AM

Considering that you are using two video cards and possibly 32 gb of ram, it could actually be that the PSU is running inefficently, all the power is being centralized towards the ram (and video cards) and not enough left over for the other hardware, and the Optimal mode requires a good range of power for all the hardware.

You may need a 900 wattt PSU for your rig.

Make sure that you, also, do not have external hdd's attached prior to booting.

You will require the higher PSU if you do intend on video editing and compiling.

Could you give a more details about the video cards (name and model number), the ram, are they paired (dual architecture) or singles (and do they conform to the memory support list), etc..

http://ca.asus.com/en/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_2011/SA...
m
l
a c 466 V Motherboard
February 24, 2013 4:52:21 PM

there nothing wrong with your mb..when you call any tech support line the level one techs are reading from a script. if your error falls out of that script there lost. if you want info on what the asus bios setting do drop a line off on asus rog forum. there few eng tech that sit on the rog forum and can help. when you start changing settings in the bios strange things and bugs can pop up. that why most overclocker use standard mode in the bios and change small settings in the bios and then run burn in tests.
gigbyte a few mb rev ago had a mb that if you set the cpu to a set speed the mb would smoke the vrms. also rma the mb to the vendor you may or may not get a new mb back.
m
l
March 14, 2013 10:34:51 PM

This is an update/Resolution:
The problem with the Motherboard was the BIOS. I updated the bios and never saw the problem again, never. The BIOS i installed was released two days after I RMA the board.

Everything working.

AMP
m
l
!