Skyrim - Graphic Card

daveyog

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
hello everyone,

I am making this topic regarding my concerns that my graphic card wouldnt be good enough to play Elder Scrolls V : Skyrim on my computer.

Here are my computer specs :

Operating System:
Windows 2.6.1.7600

CPU Type:
Intel® Core™ i3 CPU 530 @ 2.93GHz

CPU Speed:
2.95 GHz

System Memory:
7.93 GB

Video Card Model:
NVIDIA GeForce GT 220

Desktop Resolution:
1680x1050

I tried to do my research but I am not knowlegeable enough in computers to really know, but from what I could understand a NVIDIA GeForce GT 220 isnt really good for gaming in general and wouldnt probably be good for Skyrim either.

I would be looking for suggestions for someone with a pricepoint of under 100$ that want to buy a graphic card will use this resolution to play the game. I dont need to play the on ultra setting settings either to play, I just want the game to run smootly on either low or normal settings.

Thank you in advance!

P.S. I dont mind if suggestion are either Ati Radeon or Nvidia Geforce cards.

daveyog

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
couldnt a cheaper graphic card run the game on lower settings and wouldnt require a whole new PSU too? I was checking cards such as a Ati Radeon 6670 hd 1GB ddr3 that was cheaper than the one you suggested, but I am no where near sure it would even work for my pc now you began mentionning this PSU. :(

daveyog

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
To anwser your question my PSU brand is *LITE ON* basicly the one that came with the computer I bought.

I question I kinda hinted but I think by your anwsers it was self explanatory, but a NVIDIA GT 220 isnt good enough for skyrim right? that the one I own atm.

Cant say... i never owned a GT220 to let you know the exact performance it delivers. But frankly, it isn't much of a card. And at your resolution.... its not even going to scratch the surface!

That Lite On brand is another thing that worries me. You need a PSU and a GPU change.

Here's a decent source about how good your card compares to others: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-graphics-card-gaming-performance,3042-7.html

The GT 240 DDR5 is pretty much the absolute low end for a lousy gaming experience. Below that and new games will be unplayable. Have you played any of the previous Elder Scrolls? I'm curious why Skyrim makes you want to get into PC gaming.

Anyhow...for $100, you should be able to find a Radeon HD 6850 sometime in the coming weeks (merely because November has awesome prices). That's risky with a Lite-On PSU though. Here's why you don't trust off-brand PSUs: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&file=print&reid=204

If you aren't expecting much, then you could go for a 6770 or 6790, which should pull a bit less power than then 6850. If you really aren't expecting much, but want to make sure your PSU doesn't blow up (it actually may smoke) then a 6670--but that will give a pretty lousy Skyrim experience. You are kind of limited with $100 for graphics and a PSU.

If I were you, I'd pick up a Corsair CX430 for $20 after rebate on Newegg. Then you've got plenty of headroom for graphics (through the 6870 anyhow, which is out of your price range). Then get the best graphics card (refer to the chart in my first link or ask in a thread here or PM me if you want) you can find for $80 in the next couple weeks. Last November, there were GTX 460 768MB's for $80 after rebate. I wouldn't be too surprised to see a 6850 for that price.

Get a deals website (like slickdeals for example) and check 3 times a day (or some other obsessive amount) to see if a GTX 460 1GB or better card comes up in your price range. If you're open to buying used, jaguarmatt (on this forum) has a 5830 available, GTX 460 1GB, and 6850 available for sale. I don't know what prices he's looking for though.

depending on your budget, gtx 560/560 ti 1gb or gtx 570. i'd recommend amd's radeon hd 6850/6870 or 6950 (both very good, power efficient cards) but their drivers are not as good as nvidia's. both amd's and nvidia's cards will deliver good fps at 1650x1080.
add a good 550-650w psu with the gfx card for powering current cards and future upgradability.
don't get cards with ddr3. gddr5 is much better performing.
you said you're using a liteon psu...is your pc a prebuilt one? e.g. a dell studio 540?
with the current 300w psu, may be a radeon hd 6670 1gb ddr5 will fit, but imo it won't be enough to play at 1650x1080.

daveyog

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
yes my pc is a pre-built one... would a ati radeon hd 5670 1gb ddr5 (or the nvidia equivalent) that about the same price agree with my PSU and let me play the game even at a low setting?

P.S. thanks for all the quick anwsers

Don't worry too much about the wattage as far as 550W to 650W. What matters is that it's a good PSU brand. Stick to Tier 1, 2, or 3 if you have to: http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

A good 450W can handle just about any single graphics card so long as you're not running on an X58 motherboard.

460W is actually all I draw on my i7-930 @ 3.8GHz on LinX + Furmark with an overclocked GTX 470 and that's pretty much an unrealistically high load for most uses on an X58 motherboard. (That's 540W at the wall, 85% assumed efficiency).

cobra5000

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
Honestly, with a game like Skyrim, you dont want "minimums". When Oblivion came out I had to upgrade my video card and it was'nt even that old. You should experience Skyrim in at least SOME of its glory, get a decent power supply ($50-80) and spend at least $150 or so on a decent Video Card (a Radeon 6850 or GeForce GTX 460). With a game like this, it pays to spend a little extra. It will be absolutely worth it!

jjtober1

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
I would just get the best card card you can that doesn't require an extra PCI-express power connector from your power supply, and slap that baby in there. I believe that would be the 6670 you mentioned.

Just go with that and be done. I'm sure with an i3 you will be able to manage medium settings, and reasonable frame rates. I don't imagine you are some super enthusiast that is gonna notice every pixel that isn't rendered to perfection.

My sister has an amd triple core with a 4650, and she can still manage a lot of games at medium settings at 720p. Yours would be at least twice as fast even with a 6670.

Why in the world are you recommending an $80 PSU? How is a $20 Corsair CX430 inadequate for someone on a budget? Maybe you're not counting rebates though (I've never failed to get a Corsair rebate).

I completely agree, however, that he should get something at the GTX 460 1GB level. But I don't think it's impossible for that to show up at $80 after rebate since the GTX 460 768MB was that price last November (Galaxy Version, at Fry's).

OP, we said earlier that if you just want to play the game, the 6670 (DDR5) will do that for the cheapest way possible. Now if you want it to look good, you'll have to step up to the GTX 460 level (no SE version) and get a PSU. It's your call though.