Sign in with
Your question
Solved

My tale of woe: the motherboard-monitor issue...Advice Welcome

Last response: in Systems
December 30, 2011 10:27:01 PM

Hello, and thanks for reading.

This is going to sound like a motherboard problem at first...but it's a monitor problem...sort of.

Here's my story in bulletpoint form:

- Bought ASUS P8Z68-V motherboard for new Win 7 64-bit system (i5 2500k, G.Skill Ripjaws, etc.)
- New rig (my third build) powered on like a champ, but BIOS was...too big (could only see about a third of any screen on my monitor; also had some graphical glitches)
- Called ASUS. Had me do the usual (flash BIOS, etc.). No fix. Told me to return it.
- Amazon shipped me new P8Z68-V overnight.
- Installed new board earlier today...same issue.
- Got "escalated to level 2" ASUS support.
- Tech tells me nothing is wrong with either motherboard, it's my monitor that is outdated and won't work with the new BIOS.

Turns out that my monitor, a perfectly good Dell P1130 CRT (made by Sony) — which continues to serve me faithfully with outstanding images at any resolution — offers resolutions so low that the ASUS BIOS appears too big (well off screen). The ASUS BIOS is now written for 800x600 minimum, and the P1130 offers a base resolution of something like 400x300 or thereabouts, which is, if the Asus Tech is correct, what it runs at in BIOS. And this is unalterable.

So, basically, the only way I'm going to see my BIOS is with a newer monitor, at least one that doesn't offer low native resolutions (LCDs, I presume, and maybe newer CRTs).

Problem is, I like my CRT. And while I think LCD image quality is gorgeous, I don't like that they run at fixed native resolutions of nearly 2000x2000 (please correct me if I'm wrong). The problem isn't their picture, it's that it takes far more PC horsepower to run games and such at that high resolution vs. the 1280x960 that I'm fully satisfied with on my CRT.

So, the only obvious solution I see is to buy a cheap newer LCD monitor and run it as a second monitor to my P1130 CRT. I can use it for the BIOS and also for handy things like spreadsheets and reference info. while I do my "serious computing" on the CRT.

Does this make sense? Am I correct about LCDs forcing a single (generally very high) resolution that taxes one's system (vid card especially)? Is setting up a dual-monitor system easy (I have zero experience with them — for reference, I'm running a single Nvidia 460 GTX 1GB now)? Is there any workaround to the issue the Asus tech told me is unfixable?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much,

ELB

a c 78 B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
a b V Motherboard
December 30, 2011 10:37:32 PM

I don't think you will have such an awful time with the better monitor.

New monitors tend to still be able to display the older resolutions that are lower.

You don't have to play stuff at a high resolution if you don't want to.
m
l
December 31, 2011 1:52:55 AM

I have read that using an LCD monitor at any resolution other than its native one looks poor. If this is true, then I'd be working at cross-purposes — I'd buy a high-quality monitor with a fairly screen and quite high native resolution (like the 23.6" Asus VH242H over at NewEgg for $170, with a recommended res. of 1920x1080) and working my PC like a dog (or having to buy even pricier hardware) to get 20+ FPS out of it.

- ELB
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !

Best solution

December 31, 2011 2:12:08 AM

Using a LCD at a resolution other then its native is terribad, this is correct. I still like CRT'S as well, but i do enjoy 16:9 aspect ratio. If your bios is off the screen, did you try your Monitors stretch options? It will be in the monitors menus.It Usually has arrows <-> for left and right to scale the bios back on screen and theres an up and down one as well. A crt i have remembers the setting for each resolution, so when windows boots up it goes back to the normal scale at say 1024X768. Also, if you have a 460 1GB i'd bite the bullet and buy up a cheap 1080p monitor, It will effect frame rates in games but i don't think it will be over a 30% hit in framerates from 1280X960 to 1920X1080 if you do decide to upgrade. That card is amazing. I have one.
a c 78 B Homebuilt system
a b C Monitor
a b V Motherboard
December 31, 2011 7:41:34 AM

I have a LCD monitor and I have used it at quite a few different resolutions and I don't have any complaints, but if you are the ultimate in picky then I guess maybe you might detect a problem.
m
l
December 31, 2011 2:05:47 PM

Best answer selected by ELB.
m
l
!