Sign in with
Your question
Solved

500W UPS with Antec HCG 620W

Last response: in Components
April 9, 2012 2:56:57 PM

Dear bros,
Actually i dont have budget to buy APC UPS for better solution but as i already have 500W ups but the problem is that my PSU is 620W antec HCG with over/under voltage and current protection and Active PCF, but still, confused that will 500W be enough bcuz m not sure how it will work, will it burn my pc or not?

Specs:

Core i5 2320 @3.0Ghz
Intel DH67CL
Kingston 4Gx2 DDR3 @1333Mhz
1x500GB Caviar Green
MSI GTX 560-Ti TFII/OC @ 880Mhz
Samsung Optical Drive
5xCM Sickle Flow Fans @2000r.p.m

Plz tell me as i only need backup for atleast a min. bcuz i have Genset of 9kW for it but just want to keep it safe from interrupting! Tell me that how much Watts my system draws from PSU and will 500W work with it
?
a b ) Power supply
April 9, 2012 4:24:44 PM

It should work fine, your psu wattage has nothing to do with your ups. Your system draws somewhere around 400w or less.
m
l
a c 1167 ) Power supply
April 9, 2012 7:04:24 PM

The only way to determine if your power supply is compatible with your UPS is to actually test the combination.

You may find that the UPS may only switch over to battery operation only up to a certain wattage limit. Beyond that wattage limit the UPS won't even switch over to battery operation so it would be considered useless.
m
l
Related resources
April 10, 2012 4:40:19 AM

I usually doing photoshop work or video rendering or maybe watching movie and listening music, I think UPS should hold atleast for a minute, not even minute actually for 20sec. Will it be fine or I should look for 1000VA UPS? Because somehow I need this and I think its not good to compromise in terms of power, especially about PC.
m
l
April 10, 2012 4:40:58 AM

ko888 said:
The only way to determine if your power supply is compatible with your UPS is to actually test the combination.

You may find that the UPS may only switch over to battery operation only up to a certain wattage limit. Beyond that wattage limit the UPS won't even switch over to battery operation so it would be considered useless.

How to check that is UPS is compatible to my PSU?
m
l

Best solution

a c 1167 ) Power supply
April 10, 2012 4:02:55 PM

taimoorali007 said:
How to check that is UPS is compatible to my PSU?

While the computer is under a normal work load you can pull the AC power cord for the UPS to simulate a power grid failure. If the UPS switches over to battery operation without any problems and the computer is able to effect a proper shutdown within the time period you've set in the UPS application then the PSU works properly with the UPS. If any problems arise then you have an incompatibility issue.

Some power supplies with Active PFC will not work properly with a UPS that outputs a simulated sine wave when running on battery power. In that case you will need to get a pure sine wave UPS or replace the PSU with one that works with simulated sine wave UPS'.
April 10, 2012 6:06:37 PM

ko888 said:
While the computer is under a normal work load you can pull the AC power cord for the UPS to simulate a power grid failure. If the UPS switches over to battery operation without any problems and the computer is able to effect a proper shutdown within the time period you've set in the UPS application then the PSU works properly with the UPS. If any problems arise then you have an incompatibility issue.

Some power supplies with Active PFC will not work properly with a UPS that outputs a simulated sine wave when running on battery power. In that case you will need to get a pure sine wave UPS or replace the PSU with one that works with simulated sine wave UPS'.

Thnx Bro! Hope my PSU will work because I dont have budget to buy new PSU :p 
m
l
August 9, 2012 7:43:39 PM

Best answer selected by taimoorali007.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
August 9, 2012 8:36:22 PM

ko888 said:
While the computer is under a normal work load you can pull the AC power cord for the UPS to simulate a power grid failure.

One potential caveat with that is that some UPSes shut off when they detect a ground fault. In that case, the simulation would require using a switched outlet/power bar or switching the room breaker off.
m
l
!