PC seems to boot, "No Video Signal" on monitor

Hello all. I recently put together my first PC, and it starts up smoothly, fans and USB ports both functioning, including all component fans and the green motherboard light. There are no beeps from the case speaker i plugged in, however. And my monitor is unable to display anything, using DVI, HDMI, or VGA cords.

I went through a big checklist i saw on this site's forum, I did everything on it except shorting out my motherboard. Sounded sketchy.

System Info:

ASUS P7H55-M PRO Micro-ATX motherboard.
Intel i5-2500 processor w/Stock fan
Blue Star 650W PSU
SataIII 7200 750 GB HDD
2x4 GB RAM
GTX560Ti 1GB GPU

Thanks in advance!
6 answers Last reply
More about boot video signal monitor
  1. Simple things like making sure the screws are in the GPU holding it to the case. If the screw are not there then the GPU will be wobbly. Get it a nudge see if it move all over the place.
  2. It is solid as a rock. Same with the Mobo, which i originally left an empty standoff underneath, where there was no screw-hole, but have since removed it.
  3. joelha said:
    It is solid as a rock. Same with the Mobo, which i originally left an empty standoff underneath, where there was no screw-hole, but have since removed it.

There maybe a chance that you have shorted the board. I suggest you breadboard the whole computer. That everything out of the case and put it on a wooden table. then disconnect things that the PC does not need to boot. Such as the HDD and optical drives. Also remove all sticks of RAM apart from one. Then connect it to a monitor and see if the system completes a post.
  4. Remove the video card and try to connect your monitor to the motherboard. Also make sure that the ram is all the way in. Sometimes even if you hear the "click" it still may not be in all the way.
  5. Computer working fine no Video
  6. See if you can find a PC Speaker at any store near you. They should be about $5.

It helps a lot to diagnose what a problem is.

There is also something different between shorting out your motherboard and shorting two pins that are specifically designed to turn on the computer.

Shorting just means that power is flowing through an electric circuit in a direction that isn't intended.

If you had a standoff installed under the motherboard and there was no screw hole above it, it is likely that it was touching some piece of metal on the bottom of the motherboard and power would flow through that metal, into the standoff, and into the case housing.

That is obviously unintended and a motherboard would detect this problem and shut itself off.

All you would have to do is take the motherboard out, remove the standoff, put the motherboard back in, and the connection between the motherboard and the case would be gone and electricity would again flow normally.

On the other hand, power is intended to flow between the two pins on the motherboard labeled PWR_BTN in the manual. There is one wire attaching each one to the power button. When you push the power button down, it temporarily connects these two wires with a piece of metal so that power can go from one wire to the other.

When the motherboard detects that power is flowing from one of these pins to the other one, it attempts to turn on.

If you don't have those wires plugged in, you can use any piece of metal (I suggest a flat screwdriver). It will cause power to flow through the metal object you are using from one side to the other side just as if the power button is pushed.

All it takes is a quick tap, if you are doing something such that you think you might damage the motherboard then you are probably doing something wrong.

Specifically to address your issue, it sounds to me like the power cords might not be plugged into everything correctly OR your PSU is worthless.

Do you have the 20 + 4 plugged into the 24 port and the 4 + 4 plugged into the 8 port near to the CPU?

Do you have a different PSU available that you could put into the computer to see if it works?
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Motherboards Systems