Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Mobo Recommend for Athlon 64 x2 Cpu

Last response: in CPUs
April 9, 2012 3:24:07 PM

I am looking for some help with picking a motherboard for an Unraid NAS build. Not being familiar with AMD products, I find the socket options very confusing (939/940/AM2/AM2+/AM3). Here are the CPu specs.

AMD Athlon 62 x2
ADO4200IAA5CU
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ - ADO4200IAA5CU (ADO4200CUBOX)

The ideal board should have these options.

mATX form factor or smaller
4 or more SATA ports
Gigabit LAN
onboard video
support for DDR2 memory

Any help or sugestions would be greatly appreciated, also any links or explaination for the socket compatability would help.

Thanks Adrian

Best solution

a b à CPUs
April 9, 2012 5:46:33 PM

Yep, this processor is Socket AM2.
Look for a board that suites your needs with either socket AM or an AM2+ that uses DDR2 memory. The AM2 processor will only work with DDR2 memory.
Related resources
a c 145 à CPUs
April 9, 2012 5:53:53 PM

Uh, that's a really old CPU. I assume you already have it laying around?

While I agree that building your own NAS might not be the best idea, even if you did it would likely make more sense to bet a motherboard with an APU.

*If you could be more specific about what you are trying to do I could help more.

FYI, I bought a Western Digital TV LIVE HUB which has an internal 1TB drive and I use it for watching all my videos, including BluRay rips/DVD ISO images and also NETFLIX. It can also be used as a media server.
m
l
April 10, 2012 12:16:06 AM

thently said:
Do you already have the drives? I dont think I would buy a computer for a NAS box just buy a Nas box...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

This was the cheapest 4 bay I could find there are better but I do not know your budget.

as for you board you want..

Something like this...

Just go to newegg and look for socket AM2 thats what you need.

Thent

Yes a ready built NAS would be the easy way but I get enjoyment and satisfaction out of building my own for the same cost for a superior end result.
Thanks for the recommendation, however the built in wifi is unnesesary. There really isn't a set budget, cheap and suits my needs.
m
l
a c 83 à CPUs
April 10, 2012 12:27:23 AM

You need something socket AM2 or AM2+, should work fine in any board of those sockets you find.
m
l
April 10, 2012 12:38:40 AM

photonboy said:
Uh, that's a really old CPU. I assume you already have it laying around?

While I agree that building your own NAS might not be the best idea, even if you did it would likely make more sense to bet a motherboard with an APU.

*If you could be more specific about what you are trying to do I could help more.

FYI, I bought a Western Digital TV LIVE HUB which has an internal 1TB drive and I use it for watching all my videos, including BluRay rips/DVD ISO images and also NETFLIX. It can also be used as a media server.

Yes I will be recycling a free CPU, not sure about the APU recommendation as this will be run as a headless server. I wasn't aware that WD Live will play ISO's, will it also play BD ISO format from a server? I was looking at Popcorn Hour are maybe building an XBMC.

The main purpose for the NAS is
1) To store back ups from 4 workstations at home
2) Back up about 500 GB of music
3) Hold a 10 GB software repository
4) WSUS Microsoft updates 12 GB
5) OS ISO's made with nlite and vlite 40 GB
6) 4 TB of movies and BD ISO's

The Unraid platform will support 3TB drives, so its good up to 6TB on the free licence. Also any hardware components can be easily changed do to failure unlike the ready built boxes.
m
l
April 10, 2012 12:49:51 AM

Yep, this processor is Socket AM2.
Look for a board that suites your needs with either socket AM or an AM2+ that uses DDR2 memory. The AM2 processor will only work with DDR2 memory.[/quotemsg]

Thanks for the reply, that is the info I am after.

What do you think of this board?

It says AM2/AM2+/AM3 and has 6 SATA ports.
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 11, 2012 7:09:38 PM

Looks good for your setup. Something to look into if you have xbox or PS3 is a program called tversity streams music and movies to them with no hastle.

Thent
m
l
April 11, 2012 7:23:05 PM

Best answer selected by aatherton.
m
l
!