Sign in with
Your question

Is my power supply sufficient for my graphic card?

Tags:
  • Components
Last response: in Components
April 9, 2012 4:08:09 PM

i have an asus gtx 580 directcu ii, an intel dp55kg mobo with an i5-750 on it, i have two corsair vengeance 4 gb rams and my smps is the corsair gs 700.......after assembling my pc with these parts when i tried to turn it on i got no display on the monitor but a beeping noise coming from the computer....after a while of figuring out what to do i replaced the asus gpu with my old ati radeon hd 5450 and, it worked, the monitor came on and no beeping noise....so cud it b that my graphic card is faulty(its new) or is my power supply insufficient ? there r no available means to check my power consumption where i live and getting any from anywhere else will b difficult....please help.

More about : power supply sufficient graphic card

April 9, 2012 4:11:27 PM

also with my asus gpu the fans seemed to work.
April 9, 2012 4:14:46 PM

boot with your old card, go to bios, under integrated devices change video adapted to pcie. try your asus card again
Related resources
April 9, 2012 4:16:45 PM

Did you plug in the power cables from the power supply to your new video card?
April 9, 2012 4:17:10 PM

xiarik said:
i have an asus gtx 580 directcu ii, an intel dp55kg mobo with an i5-750 on it, i have two corsair vengeance 4 gb rams and my smps is the corsair gs 700.......after assembling my pc with these parts when i tried to turn it on i got no display on the monitor but a beeping noise coming from the computer....after a while of figuring out what to do i replaced the asus gpu with my old ati radeon hd 5450 and, it worked, the monitor came on and no beeping noise....so cud it b that my graphic card is faulty(its new) or is my power supply insufficient ? there r no available means to check my power consumption where i live and getting any from anywhere else will b difficult....please help.

Did you make this connection? "Dual 8pin Power Connector is required for the best performance"?
April 9, 2012 4:17:37 PM

Try different cables and see if there is any change.
April 9, 2012 4:22:35 PM

yes i made the connection.
April 9, 2012 4:31:59 PM

That PSU is more than enough. You may just for grins put the GTX 580 back in and see if it works now. Who knows maybe a cable was loose or something wasn't seated correctly. At least now you know the PC is working so try the card again. Also make sure the 6 pin and 8 pin PCIE power cables are plugged in to the GTX 580(been there before myself when I forgot to connect one).
April 10, 2012 1:48:03 PM

no luck but thank you all for your help.
April 10, 2012 3:48:09 PM

if you get 3 short beeps the gfx card is doa...
April 10, 2012 6:22:15 PM

xiarik said:
no luck but thank you all for your help.

Can you RMA the GTX 580?
April 11, 2012 4:02:31 AM

i don't think so,.. i misplaced the necessary documents
April 12, 2012 12:24:56 AM

You don't need any documents. Prit out the slip from the place you bought it. I think that with asus you don't have to register a card and you still have 3 years warranty.

and I'm right

http://service.asus.com/Warranty.aspx
April 12, 2012 7:00:02 AM

thanks a bunch i didn't know that,..the guys at the service center r ready to give me a replacement all i have to do is get a copy of the receipt from the place i bought it because the original one is lost.
April 12, 2012 12:15:21 PM

xiarik said:
thanks a bunch i didn't know that,..the guys at the service center r ready to give me a replacement all i have to do is get a copy of the receipt from the place i bought it because the original one is lost.

Thumbs up. :) 
!