Shared internet across 2 private networks and routers

obsidian_eclipse

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
What is the feasibility of connecting 2 private networks so they can share a common ISP?

The two networks are separated by distance/obstructions which prevents laying down an Ethernet cable between the routers. Router 'A' is a ADSL modem and wireless router which is used for a family network. Router 'B' is a wireless router which needs to be isolated from the family network (i.e. no file sharing between those attached to router A and those attached to router B). Routers A and B will use different SSIDs for obvious reasons. At present Router 'B' is fed by a HSDPA mobile internet connection but only Router 'A' will have a physical WAN connection to the internet as I am reducing costs and not paying for two connections.

Router 'A' and the WAP are within communication range (good signal strength 300mbps). The WAP (client) and Router 'B' are connected by ethernet.

To complicate matters Router 'A' does not support WDS and so a wireless access point ('WAP' running as a client) bridges the connection to Router 'B'. Router 'A' has an IP of 192.168.1.1 and can assign addresses in the range 192.168.1.3 - 200.

The 'WAP' is assigned a static IP by the DHCP of Router 'A' of 192.168.1.199.

The 'WAP' LAN port connects to the WAN port of Router 'B' so that it is isolated from Router 'A' and can assign its own IPs using its own DHCP. It has an IP of 192.168.2.1 and can assign addresses in the range 192.168.2.3 - 200.

A couple of questions:

1) In theory, Router 'A' will see the WAP as a physical node and try communicate to it by the specified static IP. It should be just a LAN socket bridged over the WLAN, is this true?

2) From what I understand, will Router 'B' see the WAP as its internet gateway?

2a) If the above is true, so long as Router 'B' 'WAN Connection Type = Dynamic IP' then will it negotiate a gateway with Router 'A' so long as DHCP is enabled on it.

2b) If not and I have to manually enter a IP, subnet and gateway would these be the same values as the WAN settings for Router 'A' or do I use the IP of Router 'A'? (i.e. 192.168.1.1)

I know its complicated and unfortunately, I have no other equipment available other than 2 routers and a WAP (which can be a client). If anyone can suggest another way or highlight any problems with my method then I'd appreciate the help.

Thanks.

1) Yes

2) No, router B does not know about WAP. It only will see router A

2a) Yes

2b)IP 192.168.1.254
netmask 255.255.255.0
Gateway 192.168.1.1
DNS 192.168.1.1

what will keep people from unplugging router B and connect to WAP? Or will it be wireless only for router B?

obsidian_eclipse

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011

Thanks for that Emerald. I'm not terribly brilliant with networking and it took awhile to get my head around things but it looks like I've understood the gist. Yes, I will set up MAC filters so that the WAP will only communicate with router B.

I know there is a section on Tom's Hardware about '2 networks and one internet connection' but wasnt sure if the introduction of the WAP would confuse matters. :)