BSODs/No Signal/Random Rebooting

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris9001

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
Lately I have been having issues with my pc. A couple days ago I was watching youtube videos, when my computer just froze up, looping noise that had been playing in the video. It's never done anything like this before either. But I had to hard reboot, and it worked fine for quite a while. Then it happened again, and I had to hard reboot once more. And it continued to happen a few more times untill I finally got a blue screen. It was a "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT" blue screen. I did have bluescreenview at the time but since then, I had tried a system restore, which got rid of it. Anyway, I continued to attempt troubleshooting my rig, and I got another BSOD. "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL".. Now, Ive had some experience here and there with this BSOD, and I began to think it could be bad RAM, but the thing is, I just bought brand new RAM not too long before my cpu. Continuing to troubleshoot (luckily my pc kept rebooting after these BSODs) my monitor started to show "NO SIGNAL" on the screen. (I do have an ACER monitor, which i know is notorious for problems such as this) but it had never done it before. it came along with these other problems. So after a few tries of rebooting, it finally found signal after i gave it a little break. and that problem has seemed to have come and gone. NOW, i am dealing with random reboots, and more blue screens. I'm surprised i'm even able to type this all out w/o a reboot. Does anyone know what could cause all of this stuff? what these may be symptoms of? or what i can even begin to do to fix it?

I have a suspicion its my crap-power supply. It's only 330w and with my other components, i think it may be quite strained. Here are my specs:

ASUS CM1630 Series
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit (SP1)
Nvidia Geforce 9800 GT 1gb
AMD Phenom II X4 3.0 GHz (black edition)
8 GB RAM

anyone who can, please help. I am starting school this summer and i need a working and decent pc for my work.
Thankyou in advance everyone.

Solution

The 960T is a killer CPU and still well worth building a system around. Go pick up a $60 motherboard and a $40 case and swap all the other components from your asus into the new case and bingo u should be good to go !

chris9001

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
I'll run those tests in a few moments, thankyou.

I also just researched my PSU and it is FAR under the recommended wattage for my rig. would this explain the random rebooting/shutdowns? Its just quite odd that all of these problems hit me all at once. making troubleshooting a big hassle >.< :cry:

Might be PSU then. I could understand how a low power PSU could cause some memory corruption, and that would certainly explain random shutdowns...

cmi86

Distinguished
I had a GTS-250 (essentially a 9800 GTX, same family as 9800GT) that used to do the exact same thing to my system. Random lock ups/BSOD's, audio loops, no signals and the GPU fan intermittently kicking on and off, try pulling the GPU and running onboard graphics and see what happens. In my experience if your ram is bad enough to BSOD it will trip prime within minutes.

chris9001

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
Ok so here is where I am at.

I've replaced my PSU with an Antec 650 Earthwatt Green , and I have downgraded my GFX card to an Nvidia 8500 GT from an Nvidia 9800 GT (both PNY models).
I had to replace my other card because I was constantly getting a "NO SIGNAL" error with my monitor. I wasn't too sure if that was the problem though, so I tried my monitor with another pc, and it worked fine. No "NO SIGNAL" errors whatsoever. So I put in this 8500 GT that a friend of mine had in his old rig. I've had no such issues since then with either this PSU or GFX card.

But, I am still getting some random reboots. Whether it's at startup, or just idling at the desktop. I have absolutely NO clue what this could be caused from. I've tested my RAM, and no errors come back. I have even formatted my pc and re installed windows hoping it could fix any possible software/driver issues.
So from my original post, everything seems to be fixed except the random rebooting. I have no idea what it could be. Software or hardware, it beats me. I'm starting to think it could be my motherboard and it not agreeing with certain components. If anyone has ANY insight on my problems whatsoever, please help me out!

Question: When you get the "No signal" message, do you have ANY indication the PC is still working? For example, if you press (not hold) the power button, does the PC go through normal shutdown, or is it stuck at that point?

My dads PC did this not too long ago. Turned out, the mobo was dieing.

chris9001

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012

You know, I didn't think to try that. But by the looks of things at the time, yes it was still working. I don't know for sure, but it still acted as if it was working, just not able to output display for some reason.
With my 8500 GT in my rig, nothing like this has happened though. It did once to tell the truth, but I think it was just my monitor (crap ASUS) being stupid when it kicke on the screen saver because it was fixed as soon as i turned the monitor off and back on again.

at this point I feel like I've changed this rig quite a bit since I've gotten it about 6 months ago. I bought it from a buddy for 400$. It was fine for quite awhile, and then it started giving me problems. and it seems to be a growing number of problems. Since then I've replaced/upgraded the GPU, PSU, RAM, CPU, and have added an intake fan in the front of the case (it didn't have one, surprisingly). I've double checked everything inside the case and out (as far as my knowledge goes, atleast) and I am still having random problems here and there. The main one being random reboots.

I plan to buy an actual upgrade for my GPU soon, so I just want my rig to be good to go when I do. This is all so wierd it seems like my PC should be in tip-top shape but it's doing these odd things. :l

chris9001

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
Correct. My no signal problem seems to have been resolved. And yes, still random rebooting. And it does seem to have lessened after I made the PSU and GPU change though. I've only gotten one today, and that was the first time I had booted it up for the day. and since I have turned it back on after that it has been fine.

One thing I forgot to mention was that when I first put in this current card (8500 GT) when it booted, it recognized the card, then proceeded to start windows. But on the "windows is loading" screen it locked up. It just sat there with the windows logo un-animated. So, eventually I restarted, and it happened again, only it didn't get a chance to load the windows logo before freezing. I restarted once more, did a startup repair/system restore, and everything worked fine. I installed the drivers for the new card, and finished updating everything that I hadn't updated yet after the format. after all of that. things should be stable. But those random start-up-lock-ups and random reboots make me question my systems integrity.

cmi86

Distinguished

Have you done any diagnostics on your HDD ?

chris9001

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012

No I have not. The only things left that it could be are the M/B, HDD, RAM, or misc. ports like USB or dvd drives... Still though, no idea.
another update though. I was just playing some games, browsing the web, doing my thing, then BAM. I got another blue screen with terrible looping noise. No exact error code either. it then tried to reboot itself, and then I got the "NO SIGNAL" problem again :l
This made me decide to take apart my computer. I took the M/B out and everything looks decent, except alot of the (what I assume to be) sautering joints look battery-acid like. not a nice clean silver color like I'd expect it to be. I took a really crappy picture of it, here it is:

http://img826.imageshack.us/img826/7142/downsized0419121542.jpg

The parallel lines of dots seem mis-colored. I don't know if you can tell from the picture, but it's already a confirmation enough that something isn't right with my m/b.

do you know what that stuff could be?

Yes, I can get into safe mode, but I haven't tested it to see if i get the same symptoms as when im in normal startup.

chris9001

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012

I ran prim95 blendtest for about an hour a bit back, and my computer was blazing hot and wouldn't display anything either. I am somewhat cautious of running it again. How long should I run it for, and what should I report back with? I have to re-assemble my computer first as well so I'll post back with results when I can.
Could you help me with instructions on using memtest and prime95? when it comes to that sort of software, I am quite lost.

cmi86

Distinguished
Ok well since your machine is disassembled were just going to start all over on this one.

1-Make SURE everything is put together properly (pay close attention to proper application of the thermal paste and proper CPU cooler installation) Here is a link detailing these procedures.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&sqi=2&ved=0CDoQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.hardwaresecrets.com%2Farticle%2FHow-To-Correctly-Apply-Thermal-Grease%2F274&ei=cqqQT4mrOaPL2QX4trDmBA&usg=AFQjCNFCEaUsa_3Hy7PfTTNBeWZeQH0X3A&sig2=aWznoVOt_BUtMg9FACoZQQ

2-Before putting power to the system remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard (this is a small silver disk approximately 1 inch in size) Leave the battery removed for at least 15 minutes. This will for sure revert all BIOS settings back to factory settings.

3-Boot into windows and download these softwares
*HWMonitor for monitoring system temperatures and environment
http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/hwmonitor/1.19-setup.exe

*Download Prime95 for stress testing purposes
ftp://mersenne.org/gimps/p64v266.zip

TESTING PROCEDURE
1-Boot into windows and open HWmonitor and nothing else, take a screenshot and post it to this page.
2-Open Prime95 with HWmonitor still open, let it run for 10 minutes and take another screenshot, again post it here.
3- Pay attention to prime as it is running, if it fails before you get to take a screen shot tell me EXACTLY what happened.

Well start with that and go from there.

cmi86

Distinguished

Haha my rig is named Beast too lol, and I run 960T. Why u copying me son lol ?

Ok well your TDP definitely seems a little off, my 960T @ 4.25Ghz only has a TDP of 116W, your stocker is sitting at 118W
Your voltages seem pretty stable. Run prime again and shoot for atleast an hour and take another screen shot, I want that thing to get as hot as it can. (dont worry if it gets too hot it will shut its self down before causing damage)

cmi86

Distinguished
wait wait wait wait.... I just realized you have a Pre manufactured Asus PC. Afer a bit of research I have fount that the CM1630 comes with an Athlon II X2, not a 960T...
Normally switching to a Phenom II on an machine that came with an athlon II is not a big deal. In this case it is as the 960T is not your regular old Phenom II. It is actually a completely difference CPU architecture than all of the other quad core phenoms as the 960T (Zosma) is built on the X6(thuban) dies with 2 cores diabled making me very skeptical that you BIOS actually support that CPU and that would be a PERFECT explanation for your wacky issues.

chris9001

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
well shoot then. what would be a fix besides buying a new CPU? Possibly getting a motherboard that would support it?

I just noticed your first post, and what a coincidence >.<
Sorry for dumb questions, but what is TDP? and I will run prime95 once again for longer until it shuts down. I will take a screen every 10-15 min. or so.

and whats this about the 960T? so its built on a six core architecture but with two cores disabled? and if my BIOS doesn't support it, what can I do to make it compatible?

cmi86

Distinguished

The 960T is a killer CPU and still well worth building a system around. Go pick up a $60 motherboard and a $40 case and swap all the other components from your asus into the new case and bingo u should be good to go !

Solution

chris9001

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
I'll get some money together and go browse a bit :D
thanks a bunch man I'm really hoping this is the problem. It's nice to know what the problem actually is.

Another question about my current setup though, Would it be un-safe or not smart in any way to continue using this pc with the incompatible CPU? Or would I just be dealing with this stuff till I change rigs? I don't want to damage any components so if I have to, I'll make this pc KIA till I can swap the M/B and the case.

and another question.. any recommended motherboards I should get? And I've always wondered about the quality of my current motherboard. Is it like mid-range? or a budget M/B?

cmi86

Distinguished
Yes it is 100% the problem as that PC never had support for the 960T in any BIOS revision. In response to your first question, yes absolutely. Especially to your CPU and Chipset. Continuing to run your system the way it is could very well destroy your CPU or motherboard. I can't really tell you the quality of your "exact" motherboard as you gave me a series, not a specific model number so there for I have no Idea exactly what board is in your system, my guess is low-low mid range.

I recommend the Asrock 970 Extreme 3 for these reasons
1-AM3+ ready for future AMD CPU's
2-Great BIOS and overclock support/ core unlocker (your 960T has an 80% chance of unlocking to a phenom II 1605T (which is basically a 1075T CPU)
3-2X PCI-e X16 slots
4- Tons of fan headers
5- USB 3.0
6- SATA 6 GB/PS
7-Looks really cool, all black

It's 90 bucks but well worth it because it has the features of alot of $150.00 boards
I personally own this board and have never owned a better value of a board at any price.

Heres a newegg link http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157280&Tpk=970%20extreme%203

Heres a microcenter link, they are sold out of the 970 extreme 3 (online) but here is something very comarable and it will save you $20
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0388180

Status
Not open for further replies.