system file checker

I have customised my computer, since my xp installation,
by adding another hard drive.

System file checker is now "broken" - I have tried to tell
it where the I386 files are now located but I haven't been
able to make myself understood.

I placed the folder into c:\windows\options and now it's
full pathname is c:\windows\options\I386. This did not
help and it still asks for the CD, though putting in the
CD does not help since the drive letters are now changed.

Is there a reasonable way to fix sfc or should I just give
up?

cmsix

Use regedit to modify the soucrepath setting

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup]
"SourcePath"="c:\windows\options\I386"

Regards
Mark Dormer

"Mark Dormer" <markd@mvpsx.org> wrote in message
> Use regedit to modify the soucrepath setting
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup]
> "SourcePath"="c:\windows\options\I386"

Been there, done that. Now it finds it's way until it wants the files
from the Service Pack 2 CD. Of course I have no Service Pack 2 CD and
I don't know where to find the Registry key to fix for that one. I
don't even know where the cabs for it are.

Thanks for trying though.

cmsix

> Regards
> Mark Dormer
>
> "cmsix" <cmsix@cmsix.com> wrote in message
>>I have customised my computer, since my xp installation,
>> by adding another hard drive.
>>
>> System file checker is now "broken" - I have tried to tell
>> it where the I386 files are now located but I haven't been
>> able to make myself understood.
>>
>> I placed the folder into c:\windows\options and now it's
>> full pathname is c:\windows\options\I386. This did not
>> help and it still asks for the CD, though putting in the
>> CD does not help since the drive letters are now changed.
>>
>> Is there a reasonable way to fix sfc or should I just give
>> up?
>>
>> cmsix

Perhaps reinstalling the Service Pack will fix the issue

or

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup]
"ServicePackSourcePath"="c:\windows\ServicePackFiles"

> Perhaps reinstalling the Service Pack will fix the issue
>
> or
>
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup]
> "ServicePackSourcePath"="c:\windows\ServicePackFiles"

Thanks, I'll try that registry key.

I don't really have a current issue. I just want to make sfc work as
advertised.

I don't suppose there is a way to make it ignore a particular file. I
have replaced notepad.exe with notpad.exe - an improved editor - and
if it is possible, I would like to make it skip that particular file.
If it isn't possible, I can always change it back, but it would be
better to tell it to ignore it.

Come to think of it, it didn't replace it last time. Maybe there is a
new notepad in sp2.

cmsix

> Regards
> Mark Dormer
>

> "cmsix" <cmsix@cmsix.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Mark Dormer" <markd@mvpsx.org> wrote in message
>>> Use regedit to modify the soucrepath setting
>>>
>>> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup]
>>> "SourcePath"="c:\windows\options\I386"
>>
>> Been there, done that. Now it finds it's way until it wants the
>> files from the Service Pack 2 CD. Of course I have no Service Pack
>> 2 CD and I don't know where to find the Registry key to fix for
>> that one. I don't even know where the cabs for it are.
>>
>> Thanks for trying though.
>>
>> cmsix
>>

>>> Regards
>>> Mark Dormer
>>>
>>> "cmsix" <cmsix@cmsix.com> wrote in message

Shows that I don't pay attention sometimes. The key was the one right
above. It was right with no changes though and it doesn't work right.
Maybe I'll give up.

cmsix

I also found a ServicePackCachePath and the folder it pointed to did
not exist, I deleted that key and I'll see what happens. If you get
bored with this you can drop out anytime.

Thanks again for the help.

cmisx

cmsix wrote:
> I also found a ServicePackCachePath and the folder it pointed to did
> not exist, I deleted that key and I'll see what happens. If you get
> bored with this you can drop out anytime.
>
> Thanks again for the help.
>
> cmisx

I think I386 is to be in the root [ C:\I386 ], not in any sub folder. Also,
in the registry, the SourcePath should only be: C:\ . Do not put I386 in
the path.
--
Remove nospam in email

"Phydeaux" <Phydeaux_435@erg_nospam_msinet.net> wrote in message
> cmsix wrote:
>> I also found a ServicePackCachePath and the folder it pointed to
>> did
>> not exist, I deleted that key and I'll see what happens. If you get
>> bored with this you can drop out anytime.
>>
>> Thanks again for the help.
>>
>> cmisx
>
> I think I386 is to be in the root [ C:\I386 ], not in any sub
> folder. Also, in the registry, the SourcePath should only be: C:\
> . Do not put I386 in the path.

I didn't. As I said everything works now until I get to the Service
Pack 2 files. Then it squawks twice.

cmsix

> --
> Remove nospam in email

MS has a bug on Notepad not being replaced. There is a virus called notpad. Probabl;y not a great name to use. It renames Notepad to notpad and makes itself notepad.

There are two notepads. Different ones are used in different places. XP will restore 1 but not the other. Though it is due to be fixed (trust MS to only want to fiix things that aren't wrong).

http://www.newmatilda.com/home/default.asp