Digital SLR (Nikon D70) stored near TV?

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
May 7, 2005 10:04:47 AM

Recently bought a D70 and am very pleased with it. I notice in the
manual it says not to store the camera near a television.
Unfortunately, the only place in the house I feel safe from the
unintentionally destructive attentions of my wife and daughter is the
top drawer of the unit the TV sits on in our bedroom!

Anybody know why (and to what extent) it's bad for the camera to keep
it near a TV?

Cheers

JC
Anonymous
May 7, 2005 12:05:09 PM

jc wrote:
> Recently bought a D70 and am very pleased with it. I notice in the
> manual it says not to store the camera near a television.
> Unfortunately, the only place in the house I feel safe from the
> unintentionally destructive attentions of my wife and daughter is the
> top drawer of the unit the TV sits on in our bedroom!
>
> Anybody know why (and to what extent) it's bad for the camera to keep
> it near a TV?
>
> Cheers
>
> JC

My best guess for the caution is because TVs have fairly strong
electromagnets in them and other strong sources of emr that might
somehow damage your camera.
May 7, 2005 6:09:41 PM

"jc" <johncarvill@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Recently bought a D70 and am very pleased with it. I notice in the
> manual it says not to store the camera near a television.
> Unfortunately, the only place in the house I feel safe from the
> unintentionally destructive attentions of my wife and daughter is the
> top drawer of the unit the TV sits on in our bedroom!
>
> Anybody know why (and to what extent) it's bad for the camera to keep
> it near a TV?
>
> Cheers
>
> JC

I do not know, but I would suspect it has to do with the amount of Radiation
given off by a working TV.

I suppose it all depends on the length of time that TV is in use.

Generally however, I know from Camera Repair experience, that Bedrooms,
Kitchens and Bathrooms are the worst places to keep Cameras and Video
Cameras, due to the amount of atmospheric moisture, which can induce
corrosion on the PCBs. The very best place to keep this sort of equipment is
in a draughty cold cupboard, and the one under the stairs is ideal.

Roy G
Related resources
May 7, 2005 6:11:27 PM

I store my digital camera off the floor where vacuum cleaner heads
with motors can't affect it.

digital cameras & other
"jc" <johncarvill@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Recently bought a D70 and am very pleased with it. I notice in the
> manual it says not to store the camera near a television.
> Unfortunately, the only place in the house I feel safe from the
> unintentionally destructive attentions of my wife and daughter is the
> top drawer of the unit the TV sits on in our bedroom!
>
> Anybody know why (and to what extent) it's bad for the camera to keep
> it near a TV?
>
> Cheers
>
> JC

Anonymous
May 7, 2005 7:05:15 PM

"jc" <johncarvill@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Recently bought a D70 and am very pleased with it. I notice in the
> manual it says not to store the camera near a television.
> Unfortunately, the only place in the house I feel safe from the
> unintentionally destructive attentions of my wife and daughter is the
> top drawer of the unit the TV sits on in our bedroom!
>
> Anybody know why (and to what extent) it's bad for the camera to keep
> it near a TV?
>
> Cheers
>
> JC

Electrostatic maybe.
Anonymous
May 8, 2005 6:11:31 AM

You're joking right ?

Bedrooms [only , not bathroom attached] over in Australia is one of the less
humid place of all.

Kitches, bathrooms ... you can get wider temperature range , hence the
fluctuation is not healthy for a camera [+ LENS ]
Cold cupboard, under stairs are a few of the place in a house that never
catch sunlight. Although the temperature is almost stable but the humidity
is great.
It might be healty for your camera, but not for your lens.

IF you are scared of electromagnetic radiation , just put it under your bed
or your wardrobe. At least you open them regularly to allow fresh air to
circulate.
+ put lots of silica gel to prevent fungus.

=bob=

"Roy" <royphoty@iona-guesthouse.co.uk> wrote in message

> Generally however, I know from Camera Repair experience, that Bedrooms,
> Kitchens and Bathrooms are the worst places to keep Cameras and Video
> Cameras, due to the amount of atmospheric moisture, which can induce
> corrosion on the PCBs. The very best place to keep this sort of equipment
> is in a draughty cold cupboard, and the one under the stairs is ideal.
>
> Roy G

May 8, 2005 6:11:32 AM

"[BnH]" <b18[at]ii[dot]net> wrote in message
> You're joking right ?
>
> Bedrooms [only , not bathroom attached] over in Australia is one of the
> less humid place of all.
>
> Kitches, bathrooms ... you can get wider temperature range , hence the
> fluctuation is not healthy for a camera [+ LENS ]
> Cold cupboard, under stairs are a few of the place in a house that never
> catch sunlight. Although the temperature is almost stable but the humidity
> is great.
> It might be healty for your camera, but not for your lens.
>
> IF you are scared of electromagnetic radiation , just put it under your
> bed or your wardrobe. At least you open them regularly to allow fresh air
> to circulate.
> + put lots of silica gel to prevent fungus.
>
> =bob=

No I am not joking.

I don't know about OZ, we did not get too many customers from there, even by
Mail Order.

The problems with Bedrooms, in UK at least, is the people who sleep in them,
and insist upon breathing all night long, and quite often keeping the
windows closed, because of the cold weather or some other lame reason.

As you say it is more the fluctuation in temperature and humidity, causing
condensation that is the problem. So the safest recourse is a cool dry and
draughty cupboard. If the camera and lenses are inside the gadget bag, dust
is not a major problem. I would prefer cleaning to replacing.

None of this is of any concern to the older mechanical cameras.

Roy G
May 10, 2005 9:23:29 AM

Thanks for the replies. I guessed it was electromagnetic radiation from
TVs that was the problem, just not sure WHY this would harm digital
SLRs. Anyway I'll try to find somewhere else to store it. Presumably
it's only prolonged storage near a TV that's a risk, it's only been
there a few weeks and the TV is rarely on.

Thanks again

JC
!