CPU questions.

Eery

Distinguished
May 19, 2011
I have two questions, I would appreciate some help. My first questions is why some people say even the intel core I3 is better then some of the high ends amd ones, even though some of them have more cores and higher speeds then the I3. My second question is will ATI cards work with Intel processors? I am questioning this because amd owns ati, so I just want to make sure.

Solution
The i3 2120 is among the best budget processors for gaming, and is hands down the best dual core for gaming. Despite that, it cannot match up with the 2500k or 2600k for gaming, though it is an exceptional CPU for the price.

Yes AMD cards will work with intel, as will nvidia with AMD. They could not afford to limit their cards to their own CPUs, as AMD only controls about 30% of the CPUs on the market, while intel has about 70%

scottiemedic

Distinguished
AMD is on the long spiral down for CPUs, but their graphics cards are kick ass and work perfectly with Intel CPUs.

As for the CPU comparison, here's an analogy: Just cause a Dodge truck has 8 cylinders and a Lotus only has 4, it doesn't make the truck faster than the Lotus... It's all in how you build it (hehe, made me think "If you build it, he will come").

holykalo

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011
The i3 2120 is among the best budget processors for gaming, and is hands down the best dual core for gaming. Despite that, it cannot match up with the 2500k or 2600k for gaming, though it is an exceptional CPU for the price.

Yes AMD cards will work with intel, as will nvidia with AMD. They could not afford to limit their cards to their own CPUs, as AMD only controls about 30% of the CPUs on the market, while intel has about 70%

Solution

CDdude55

Distinguished
The lastest Core i3's (Sandy Bridge based), like the 2100's are great budget chips that can in certain cases can beat the higher end AMD chips because they can do more work per core in certain circumstances. AMD has been taking the route of "more cores, not stronger" so software that can execute across more then 1 or 2 cores tend to run better on AMD's chips.

Sometimes doing more work per cycle is more important then doing less work per CPU cycle, but on more threads. And sometimes having 4 or more cores loaded up with work is more important then having 1 or 2 cores with the same workload, even if those 1 or 2 cores can do more intructions per cycle. It just depends what needs to get done and how the software interacts with the chip.

holykalo

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011

+1
Select this for best answer