Upgrading to a GTX 550 Ti. Is it possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

clairvoux

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
Hello, i want to upgrade my current graphics card (9500 GS). Was thinking of a GTX 550 Ti or something along that performance range... The problem is im worried because i dont know if it will fit in my current case. The PC is a micro-ATX HP a6685es. I´ve been looking over the internet and it seems to be possible to fit those kind of graphics cards on this case. I will also need a new PSU. Does anyone here know the case or know if it will fit or not?

The PC specs:

350W PSU
4GB DDR2 memory
intel Q9400 2,66GHZ CPU
Nvidia 9500 GS (extremely noisy fan)
625GB WD HDD
PEGATRON CORPORATION Benicia mobo.

clairvoux

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
I checked it on the nvidia page. It´s 111 mm x 210 mm. Then I measured the case. I shouldn´t have problems with the length, but the height is only 90mm-100mm to the PSU. its hard to measure inside a case but it seems im lacking 10 to 20 mm. So.... that´s a no go? :(

@ OP, regardless the case dimension thing, the GTX 550Ti is a good move from 9500 GT and your PSU should handle it just fine, but you'll need to use a molex adapter usually included with the card, anyway a new PSU is welcomed all the way.

Regarding the case dimensions, here's a non reference design 550ti that i believe it should fit in your case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162078

Solution

clairvoux

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
And i thought it required at least a 500W PSU for the whole PC. At least thats what it says on the nvidia page. Thats good news. I´ve also got a 450W PSU from my old computer, so i guess there would be no need for a new PSU at all. It should be more than enough for the whole computer.

I havent got much feedback of what you think about the case, but it seems to not be a problem.

One thing i noticed is that people seem to think i own a 9500 GT. I dont. I have got a 9500 GS which is even crappier and it came with a faulty fan, so i had to replace it with an old nvidia 5500 fx fan i had, which was running perfectly for the first month, but it started making noise just like the other.

Finally for the new graphics card. there´s a battle raging between the gtx 460 and the gtx 550 ti. i like both and the 460 seems to be a tad faster, but it is even bigger :S

clairvoux

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
The 460 is a faster card and is not a huge card...
I would go for the psu i linked as a no named psu is gonna be a bad idea...

I know it isnt a huge card, but the main question here is if my case can even fit the gtx 550 ti (and if not, any smaller cards suggestions are welcome too). i would buy the gtx 460 over the gtx 550 if it wasnt for the space....

As for the PSU it should be a great deal if i have to buy a new one. and i liked the antec one, that corsair seems a bit too much for what it does. ;)

clairvoux

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011

That case is indeed very good looking and very cheap, but unfortunately i cannot change the case. Maybe someday when im building my own PC. I will definetely have a look at those cases again, i really liked them. :eek:

I agree with the GTX 460 idea, it's a little faster than GTX 550TI, but again you're fine whether you got the 450W PSU or the 350W, both GTX 460 and 550Ti don't draw that much
GTX-550-58.jpg

Did you give a look at the card i linked, it should fit probably well. If so, look for a similar one for the GTX 460

clairvoux

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
Yes i had a look at all the links posted here. Although i was just now looking at the card´s feedback and here´s what i found:

""Best for budget gamers!

Pros: Small Size: 7.28" x 4.37" x 1.51" It will fit small OEM desktops.

Runs silent

Performance is near the GTX 570 when in SLI and it runs better than a single Radeon HD 6950.

Cons: None.

Other Thoughts: I bought this card to replace my XFX 240 GTX. I used to have this in a small Acer with a Micro ATX motherboard. I'm not a heavy gamer and I only play the COD MW series. My Core 2 Duo Acer failed on me after 3 years and I now have a new build.

I overclocked it a bit using MSI Afterburner but getting past 1000 MHz is more like a luck of draw. My card auto resets to defaults whenever I overclocked it too much.

My stable MSI Afterburner overclock numbers are:
Core Voltage: 1150
Core Clock: 1000
Shader Clock: 2000
Memory Clock: 2400
Fan Speed: 100%""

Thats pretty much what im looking for and it seems to fit just fine in my case too. That GTX 460 seemed to be one of the best out there too, but i couldnt find any feedback related to the card fitting in small cases.

clairvoux

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
As for the PSU, I will end up buying one on my local store if i really have to.
More suggestions would be welcome too. what do you guys think of a GTX 560 /ti?
And what about AMD cards? I never liked them very much, but i acknowledge they are (most of the time) cheaper than nvidia cards.

GTX 560Ti, HD 6950 are high end GPUs, and if you'll be getting any of them you have to buy a new PSU with 2 x 6pin PCIE connectors.

It all depends in your resolution, if you're gaming @ 1080P one of those will be your best choice. if you're gaming under that resolution the GTX 550ti is pretty enough to play all the games @ high quality.

clairvoux

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011

thats true, but my Q9400 will be already at its limits (or close to them) in most modern games and unfortunately this mobo wont let me overclock it. I´ve heard of people overclocking it up to a sweet 3,5 GHZ on the stock cooler.

clairvoux

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011

I play games at 1440x900... Looks like I should definitely get the 550 ti ;)

clairvoux

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011
The main idea was an upgrade to the GPU and possibly the PSU, so i could put some decent load on my Q9400, its never at more than 50% usage with my current 9500 GS. It just doesn't cut it anymore (LOL :D ) , and now with battlefield 3 i was suffering extreme stuttering and 15 FPS max on all low. The worst performing game iºve had till now. Thats the only component i will be upgrading. Next time i will be getting (or building) myself a new rig.

So in the end I will be getting the Galaxy GTX 550 ti. Thank you all for the replies!
Now how the hell do I close this thread? :D

het the 5770/6770, it uses less power and perfroms the same. You can try run it from your 350w psu, but i bet you will have problems and possibly damage things. You have to remember, just because the label says 350w, doesnt mean it can produce 350w continuous, or have enough of that power available on the 12v rail, where it needs it. What make/model is the psu? and what are the 12v specs?

@ iam2thecrowe 5770 and the GTX 550ti is performing in similarity to each other but the fact that GTX 550Ti is bit faster than HD 5770.

Regarding the PSU it's OEM PSU as stated in the first post by the OP, as far as i know that they are really better than those garbage cheap PSUs out there. And using the molex adapter will cause problems if he's in a really tight situation.

@OP, you close the thread by selecting the best answer of whoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.