Missing connections for fans

Hi,

I have a Asus P8Z68-VLE motherboard and i'm currently wiring the parts. Here is the problem:

The motherboard has:
1x CPU_Fan (4pins)
1x PWR_Fan (3pins)
2x CHA_Fan (4pins)
the cooler is already connected so cross out the CPU fan

the problem is that i have a fan on my power supply which has no wire to be connected to any of those
and i have 2 fans for the case one on top in the back of the case and one at the bottom in front of the case, but both only have a wire that connects to 3pins and i have only 1 PWR_Fan... (btw my bottom-front fan doesnt even reach the PWR_Fan)

1- Is the fan on my power supply connected inside the power supply?
2- Do i have to change my bottom-front fan to a 4pins end with a longer wire?
3 answers Last reply
More about missing connections fans
  1. Akayds said:
    Hi,

I have a Asus P8Z68-VLE motherboard and i'm currently wiring the parts. Here is the problem:

The motherboard has:
    1x CPU_Fan (4pins)
    1x PWR_Fan (3pins)
    2x CHA_Fan (4pins)
    the cooler is already connected so cross out the CPU fan

the problem is that i have a fan on my power supply which has no wire to be connected to any of those
    and i have 2 fans for the case one on top in the back of the case and one at the bottom in front of the case, but both only have a wire that connects to 3pins and i have only 1 PWR_Fan... (btw my bottom-front fan doesnt even reach the PWR_Fan)

1- Is the fan on my power supply connected inside the power supply?
    2- Do i have to change my bottom-front fan to a 4pins end with a longer wire?

Yes your psu fan should work on its own. You may have to get some adaptors for your plugs if you want to plug them into the mobo, They dont cost much ,usually around a buck or so. The problem is finding what you need. If you have a retail pc store in your area like PcDirect or micro center or even a local pc repair shop should be able to help out with your dillemma, You may have a 3 pin plug somewhere on your cables from your psu that you can use for now.
    If you can wait for the adapters you need to be shipped in the mail, here is a link to a great case modding site called xoxide. I think the cable I linked is what you need to connect your 3 pin fans to the 4 pin chassis headers on your board. Make sure that the male and female ends are correct for your needs and if not just browse the sight till you find what you need. I found this under cables and adaptors.
    http://www.xoxide.com/phobya-adapter4pinsocket30cm-black.html

Also ,it is possible if you have the correct plugin on a psu cable to plug your front fan to it and just let it run at default speed with direct power. If you dont have a 3 pin plug from psu then yes you will need to extend it with another cable. you could get a 3 pin to molex and run straight to psu ,or decide where on mobo you want to plug to and get appropriate adaptor.
    It kinda sucks to have to mess with and it seems like there should be an industry standard so they were all either 3 or 4 pin. My coolerMaster storm scout case came with molex pins for all of the fans and I have them temporarily hooked straight to psu. I would like to hook them to the 4 4pin headers on my Asus mobo because from there I can program smart cooling features from my mobo's software utilities. I have just been to strapped lately to even worry about it for now.
  2. well thanks for the answer but i solved the problem! :)
  3. The reason a lot of casefans come with 3pin blocks nowadays is because a lot of people use fan controller units, as stated adaptors are out theere if needed though
    Glad you got sorted man :)
    Moto
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Power Supplies Fan Cases Motherboards Systems