Sign in with
Your question
Closed

TESTING P4 PROCESSOR

Last response: in CPUs
April 9, 2012 11:15:30 PM

Hello,
I just bought a used Prescott Pentium 4 P4 670 3.8 Ghz SL8PY 2M Cache 800 Mhz FSB Hyper Thread off e-bay.
Would anyone have any suggestions for testing this if it's working 100% ? I've got lots of cooling fans to prevent over heating. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

More about : testing processor

Best solution

a c 793 à CPUs
April 9, 2012 11:27:17 PM

Best way to check is to mount it in your rig and run prime95!
a c 134 à CPUs
April 10, 2012 12:53:28 AM

I find that if you see a burn spot on the surface of the heat spreader its usually toast,
Related resources
a b à CPUs
April 10, 2012 1:01:01 AM

Hi :) 

Thats the one that ran REALLY REALLY REALLY hot from memory...

All the best Brett :) 
April 11, 2012 1:16:16 AM

Brett928S2 said:

Thats the one that ran REALLY REALLY REALLY hot from memory...

Hey Brett!

I downloaded Everest, & found it running @ 76-77. From the info I've checked out, it's way too hot.

I got this from China, for only $36 shipped... they provided silicone heat sink compound I really didn't like, I'm going to replace it...then see what happens.

I didn't check the temp through the BIOS...

I've got a MSI PM8M2-V, I've got a Intel / Socket LGA775 / Ball Bearing / Copper Core / CPU Cooling Fan
MPN: E30307-001 with a funnel in the case for fresh air.. & a 79CFM 120mm fan exhausting...

Water cooled needed for $$'s...!!!

What do you think?
I'm not putting this through a stress test until it's cool... I'm using a old 850 Plll typing this now...

Thanks for your reply!
a b à CPUs
April 11, 2012 1:41:10 AM

There is an Intel employee/expert on here, but I think I remember that cpu was the reason they stopped going higher on ghz.....they sort of gave up on trying to cool them...

You NEED the best cpu cooler you can find, plus as much case cooling, and maybe pack it with ice lol (last bits a joke...dont try it lol)

April 13, 2012 1:12:42 AM

Brett928S2 said:

There is an Intel employee/expert on here, but I think I remember that cpu was the reason they stopped going higher on ghz.....they sort of gave up on trying to cool them...

You NEED the best cpu cooler you can find, plus as much case cooling, and maybe pack it with ice lol (last bits a joke...dont try it lol)

Hey Bret!

I just put thin coat of Antec's Formula 7 heat sink compound on the heat sink mating pad, I've got the temp down to 65c stabilized...it was up to 67c and a rare 68c. I read that 67.7c was max for Prescotts, but the writing was for a 3.4

I'm considering a water cooler.

What do you think..and for anyone else reading this, your info will be appreciated!

Thanks!
April 16, 2012 2:14:52 AM

Best answer selected by stevenf12801.
a b à CPUs
April 16, 2012 3:54:05 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!