Sign in with
Your question

Cleaning back of Motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
February 17, 2013 8:37:55 PM

Hello! Recently I built a home server using all desktop parts to save money from Newegg and I bought this case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Now as you can see, there are a LOT of fans in it, and there is one on the back of the CPU plate (I think that is what you call it..) and it is pulling IN the dust.

So I pulled apart the case and went to Staples and bought this: http://www.staples.com/Dust-Destroyer-Duster-7oz-2-Pack...

Now, people say use compressed air to clean out your computer, but this is compressed gas. However, it does advertise that it is safe for CPUs, but I doubt it.

Can somebody shed some light if it will be safe for me to spray this on the back of my motherboard to get the dust off?

Thanks!
February 18, 2013 12:51:59 AM

Link "isnt" working as its asking me for a proper zipcode but........I'm pretty sure it will do the trick. But what do you mean by compressed gas?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 18, 2013 1:07:59 AM

also, reverse that little fan, not intake, it should help somehow with those dirts
m
l
Related resources
February 18, 2013 6:19:21 PM

th3_ory said:
Link "isnt" working as its asking me for a proper zipcode but........I'm pretty sure it will do the trick. But what do you mean by compressed gas?

You can use zip code 08722 (USA).
m
l
February 18, 2013 6:19:58 PM

To everyone,

I am about to reverse the fan, but how do I already get the dust from the back of the motherboard? Is it safe to use this product?
m
l
a c 150 V Motherboard
February 18, 2013 8:03:50 PM

it is a dust remover you could use it ,the thing i use to clean most of the dust before using the can is a litte paint brush the same one kid will use for painting .leave tha fan as intake that help cool the cpu base on the motherboard .
m
l
February 18, 2013 8:14:02 PM

scout_03 said:
it is a dust remover you could use it ,the thing i use to clean most of the dust before using the can is a litte paint brush the same one kid will use for painting .leave tha fan as intake that help cool the cpu base on the motherboard .

My only issue with the can is that it is a liquid on the inside and something magical happens. I just put some into my hand it is doesn't feel wet.

Can I dust it while it is on?
m
l
a c 150 V Motherboard
February 18, 2013 8:19:21 PM

you better shut it off for safety and to protect your system .
m
l
!