Tags:
  • Asus
  • Boot
  • Devices
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
February 17, 2013 10:10:18 PM

Hello,
Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe Motherboard will not boot. Keeps stopping at post A0 and Boot Device Error LED on MB lights up. I have Cleared reset the BIOs and pulled the battery, removed all memory but one stick. Tried a SSD and a HDD as boot devices. Board does not boot far enough enough to output any video. This is the second P8Z77-V Deluxe MB and still having the same problem with booting stopping with Boot Device Error. At Asus suggestion, I built everything outside the computer case this time. The parts I orderd, CPU and memory were all on the approved list. I do not know where to go from here. Has anyone else had this problem of MB only getting to the point where the Boot Device Error LED lights up and stops at post A0? Where do I go from here? The power supply is an 850W supply. CPU is the Intel i7 - 3770K, and memory is Cosair Vengence 8GB sticks.

More about : asus p8z77 deluxe booting

a c 126 Ĉ ASUS
a c 490 V Motherboard
February 17, 2013 10:18:56 PM

cheese82 said:
Hello,
Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe Motherboard will not boot. Keeps stopping at post A0 and Boot Device Error LED on MB lights up. I have Cleared reset the BIOs and pulled the battery, removed all memory but one stick. Tried a SSD and a HDD as boot devices. Board does not boot far enough enough to output any video. This is the second P8Z77-V Deluxe MB and still having the same problem with booting stopping with Boot Device Error. At Asus suggestion, I built everything outside the computer case this time. The parts I orderd, CPU and memory were all on the approved list. I do not know where to go from here. Has anyone else had this problem of MB only getting to the point where the Boot Device Error LED lights up and stops at post A0? Where do I go from here? The power supply is an 850W supply. CPU is the Intel i7 - 3770K, and memory is Cosair Vengence 8GB sticks.

P8Z77-V DELUXE BIOS 1805 try using the usb flashback port and flash the bios. check that the mb not shorting out or the cpu cooler on to tight. having the cooler down to tight can cause issues with board flex.
m
l
February 17, 2013 10:41:25 PM

I forgot to add that Asus, and I verified this on their website, said that I need version 801 or higher to use with the CPU I have. The version of the BIOs on this MB is 1016. Also the last MB that I sent back in the BIOs version was over 1400. So it seems the version of the BIOs is where it should be. Should I still try and flash the BIOs? As fars as the CPU heatsink being too tight, it snaps into place. Does not seem to allow for any adjustments. Thanks for the reply. Please keep the suggestions flowing.....I feel as if I am a big sponge absorbing all this info!
m
l
Related resources
a c 126 Ĉ ASUS
a c 490 V Motherboard
February 17, 2013 10:46:00 PM

check that you cpu heat sink not on to tight and check for bent pins.
m
l
February 17, 2013 11:05:17 PM

smorizio said:
P8Z77-V DELUXE BIOS 1805 try using the usb flashback port and flash the bios. check that the mb not shorting out or the cpu cooler on to tight. having the cooler down to tight can cause issues with board flex.

Greetings smorizio! Thank you for such a quick reply. I will try the flashback port and as far as the cpu cooler being on too tight....not really sure I can do anything about that as it snaps into place and the only "adjustment" is to turn the posts to unlock the snaps to remove the cooler. The version both Asus tech and Asus website said was needed was at least 801. The last MB before this one was over 1400 and this one is 1016. But I will still try and flash the BIOS with the lastest and greatest. Also when I said I built the system outside computer case, I am also trying to get to run outside the case. Thanks again for such a quick reply and your suggestions!
m
l
a c 126 Ĉ ASUS
a c 490 V Motherboard
February 18, 2013 12:32:20 AM

did asus tell you to bare bone the system. one stick of ram and onboard video only and no boot device?? to see if the mb will post fine. with posting issues it could be the drives or that there plugged into the wrong sata ports. some of the asus mb have both intel and 3 party sata chipsets. the 3 party chipsets are for data drives only.
m
l
February 18, 2013 9:19:03 PM

smorizio said:
did asus tell you to bare bone the system. one stick of ram and onboard video only and no boot device?? to see if the mb will post fine. with posting issues it could be the drives or that there plugged into the wrong sata ports. some of the asus mb have both intel and 3 party sata chipsets. the 3 party chipsets are for data drives only.

No, Asus did not tell me to bare bone the system. I had already done that by the time I called them the first time. So I did all those things. The second time I call Asus the person recommended that I build the system outside the computer case to make sure the case was not grounding anything out. I have done that and still have the same problem. I am currently trying to flash the BIOS from a flash drive as the manual says but am running into a problem. Maybe you could help me with this. I down loaded the lastest BIOs update for this MB and the file was a zipped file. So I thought I would have to unzip it first before the MB would recoginze the file name. The unzipped file name is: P8Z77-V-DELUXE-ASUS-1805.CAP
The zipped file name is the exact same name except it does not have the "-1805.CAP" at the end of the file name. The flash drive I am using is a fat32 system which the manual says it can be a fat16 or fat32. The bios flashing light flashes for five seconds and then remains on. The manual says one of two things could cause this. 1. Flash drive inserted incorrectly, or 2. Error in the file name or incompatibility in the format. I can not find on the internet or the MB manual, what the name or extention of file name to know if what I am downloading is correct or not. Do you or anyone else reading this post know the name and format if the bios file the MB looks for? So, I am stuck again! I have taken the video card off but have not connected any monitor to the MB. Again zmorizio, thanks for your help.
m
l
February 18, 2013 10:31:00 PM

I just tried things one more time. One stick of memory in the A2 slot, no boot device connected, nothing connected to any of the sata connectors and no video card. MB boots at a post of A0 and hangs. Then connected a CD/DVD drive to the first set of sata connectors and MB stopped at A0. Did the same thing again moveing the connecting to each of the remaining connectors and the MB then stopped booting with a post of A2. I guess the next thing is to purchase and HDMI cable and use the on board video and see what happens with that!
m
l
February 26, 2013 10:07:41 PM

smorizio said:
cheese you need to rename the bios file. there a bios renamer program now that part of the exe download.
Z77VD.CAP
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1155/P8H77-M/DE1...

Hello smorizio! Success! I would never have thought to rename the file that much! The manual did not give a clue that after downloading the update you had to rename the file a certain way. Well to make a long story short, the update worked AND I am not only able to boot up the MB now, but I have Window 7 loaded and all the Asus drivers that came with the MB loaded! Now I have two things left to do: 1. Put everything in the comptuer case and 2. Get the video card drivers loaded and install the video card on the MB and get the drivers loaded. Do you know where I can get a cd of drivers for my Asus Video card? I was not paying close attention when I returned my first Asus MB to TigerDirect and I believe I left my cd for the Asus Video card in the box for the MB! I was on the phone with Asus and believe it or not( I still having a hard time believing this) they said they were not able to send me a driver cd for my video card! They are suppose to send me a link to where I can get the drivers from AMD. Go figure......
An observation from all this labor: I had used the on board video(HDMI) to get where I am at now, I suspect that the last MB I had, I would most likely would have worked. I went to Radio Shack(my heros) and purchased a HDMI to DVI converter so I could use one of the monitors I have.

smorizio: BIG THANK YOU to you my friend for helping me out. I am not sure if I am going to have any problems getting the video card working, especially since Asus is unable to send me another driver cd. But I am pressing on!
m
l
a c 126 Ĉ ASUS
a c 490 V Motherboard
February 27, 2013 6:06:23 AM

cheese both amd and nvidia now have auto download of there video drivers. all you do is if it an amd chip card like 7770 go to amd.com if it a nvidia card like the 650ti go to nvidia web page and go to driver download page.

with all your hardware together and running download this
http://www.piriform.com/speccy
it read and tell you your hardware info. then do a print screen and save the print out. when i build a new pc i pick up two usb sticks..one i make a copy of my windows install cd. (microsoft iso to usb program). People lose cd or if you scratch them you have to spend money to buy a new one. I make a copy of the os cd and then file the cd away. then from another pc wit hthe other usb stick i put on all the newest bios for the mb and drivers. the mb driver cd is there to get you going but the drivers are months to year old. I also try and put my anti virus software on the stick..things like java..flash..qucik time itunes...any of the large service packs or patches.
m
l
March 2, 2013 10:31:28 AM

hwinfo64 ftw!
m
l
March 2, 2013 10:13:49 PM

smorizio said:
cheese both amd and nvidia now have auto download of there video drivers. all you do is if it an amd chip card like 7770 go to amd.com if it a nvidia card like the 650ti go to nvidia web page and go to driver download page.

with all your hardware together and running download this
http://www.piriform.com/speccy
it read and tell you your hardware info. then do a print screen and save the print out. when i build a new pc i pick up two usb sticks..one i make a copy of my windows install cd. (microsoft iso to usb program). People lose cd or if you scratch them you have to spend money to buy a new one. I make a copy of the os cd and then file the cd away. then from another pc wit hthe other usb stick i put on all the newest bios for the mb and drivers. the mb driver cd is there to get you going but the drivers are months to year old. I also try and put my anti virus software on the stick..things like java..flash..qucik time itunes...any of the large service packs or patches.

Greetings smorizio: This sounds like a great idea. I will try this when I get everything up and running.
m
l
March 2, 2013 10:33:35 PM

Well, this post is not to not to anyone in particular. I received an email from Tom's Hardware asking me to select one the responses as "best answer" to my problem I posted for. My orginal post was that the motherboard would not boot, nothing was showing up on the monitor. The last post on the mb was A0, or A2. In working with smorizio and his suggestions I notice in one of my replys to smorizion of what I had tried and said that I was going to get an HDMI cable to use the on board video and see what I can see there. I had not seen a suggestion about that but that did help me to where I am today. I found an HDMI connector, from Radio Shack, that converted the HDMI to an DVI(I or D) so that I could use the monitor I had which was and DVI-I. At this point I have not gotten my video card to work but I was able to get into the BIOS and configure my hard drives for a RAID configuration. I then was able to load WINDOWS 7 and get it running. The only thing I have left to do is to get my video card working and get off the on board video. smorizio was a BIG help in getting my MB flashed with the lastest update from ASUS. The manual nerver stated in their instructions that you had to rename the file a certain way and I did not notice anythng on their website either. So if I can get my video card working then I would say that anyone who has the same problem as I have, and I have seen many on the internet, then try what I have done and that is use the on board video and see what happens. So I guess I will declare TOTAL success when I have the video card up and working. :hello: 
m
l
a c 126 Ĉ ASUS
a c 490 V Motherboard
March 3, 2013 8:10:40 PM

cheese with the newer asus mb and there bios you have to turn on muilt monitor suprt to get both the onboard and gpu to work at the same time. if you get the gpu to work them you can switch the main video from ipgpu to pci/peg.
m
l
March 3, 2013 11:36:07 PM

smorizio said:
cheese with the newer asus mb and there bios you have to turn on muilt monitor suprt to get both the onboard and gpu to work at the same time. if you get the gpu to work them you can switch the main video from ipgpu to pci/peg.

WOW! Thank you smorizio. This will be a another BIG help! Now that I have Windows 7 up and running I am in the process of putting the mb into the case. Then I plan on pressing on with video card after I get everything back into the case. I did notice something new I will have to tackle after I get things going again. I notice tonight while probing around in Windows 7 that Explore does not seem to see my second set of RAID drives. It shows the CD/DVD drive and even sees the external USB floppy drive I had connected but not another drive. Right now I have my OS booting off of my one set of RAID drives that are a pair of SSDs. The other two drives are what I call "spinners" since they are the regular, SATA, drives that spin and are not SSD. I plan on installing all of my apps on these hard drives.

So, once again smorizio, THANK YOU for all your great suggestions.
m
l
March 10, 2013 12:06:57 AM

:bounce:  :bounce: 
smorizio said:
if the other raid drives are blank or not go into windows disk management and set them up a drive letter or see if windows disk management sees them.
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/disk-manageme...

Greeting again smorizio. Thank you for this valuable info. I went to the website and checked it out. Sure appreicate all your good help and information. I have not finished putting this all in my computer case yet, but I am sure going to have some fun getting to work when I get everything in the case! :bounce: 
m
l
March 15, 2013 9:26:36 PM

smorizio said:
if the other raid drives are blank or not go into windows disk management and set them up a drive letter or see if windows disk management sees them.
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/disk-manageme...

Hi smorizio: Well I have the MB in the case and up an running wtih on board video only. I did get the second set of raid drives formatted, assigned a letter, and the OS now sees them. The only hurdle I have left is the video problem. I did go in the bios and turn on multiple monitor support mode but this has not helped any. If I may ask a dumb question....if my video card has two heads for two monitors, do I HAVE to have both of them connected in order for the multiple monitor mode to work? I have only two monitors and I have one connected to the onboard video output and the second one connected to one of the heads on the video card. Your help smorizio has been most valueable. I would appreicate your continued help with this last hurdle. Thank you, cheese82
m
l
March 16, 2013 2:00:24 PM

smorizion: I think it is time I start/post a new thread. The booting problem/mystery I had is now solved. The resolution to that was to use the on board video because no video was making it out to the video card. I could then see what was going on and respond accordingly. After this point I got the MB to see the harddrives and I was finally able to get the OS loaded. Plus with your help smorizion, I was able to get the BIOs updated successfully and with your help smorizion I was able to get the OS to see the second raid set of drives. So my last problem to solve is how to get my video card working. You had one suggestion in this thread that I have tried but has not solved the problem at this time. So the new thread will be for only one problem and not multiple ones like this thread. I suspect that I should have kept this thread to one problem. So, I hope you will find my new thread smorizioa as all your suggestions have been very good and very helpful.
m
l
a c 126 Ĉ ASUS
a c 490 V Motherboard
March 16, 2013 7:00:43 PM

once you install the mb chipset drivers (from intel the newest ones). go into windows device manager under video devices there should be two showing if the video card is working.make sure on the video card have all the power plugs connected and the fan is moving and the 4/8 pin pci power plug on the mb is connected. with two video cards in the bios you see ipgpu as the primany device (onboard gpu_) you can switch it to peg/pci to make the gpu the first video card if you want. most times you have to go into windows display settings and turn on the second monitor.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a b V Motherboard
March 16, 2013 7:14:28 PM

send to ASUS get warranty ! is good idea
i had asus z68 same issue and now still wait claim warranty .. The first event is the mobo lights Ok but it will not boot, after a check here and there until I finally dizzy disconnect AC power from the computer all night, and the next morning I tried to turn it on and managed to boot and normal system as usual, and then I turn off the computer, but forgot to unplug the AC power from the computer and do not want to live anymore (Mobo lights still alive) ... I try to turn off the AC power overnight and in the morning succeeded again ... then I think that the problem with the regulator suplly motherboard to the CPU and This means the computer will live if the motherboard is really empty during the 12h of electrical, I return to ASUS for warranty .. good luck bro
m
l
March 17, 2013 1:19:48 PM

I first of all want to thank smorizio for hanging in there with me and for all the suggestions. I also listed a couple of other problems, which I should have made a couple of new posts I suppose, but smorizio helped me resolve those.
I believe I "stumbled" into the resolution on my own. To keep this short, I gave up trying to use the video card to see anything because nothing and I mean nothing was coming out of the video card and decided to hooked up a monitor to the HDMI output on the motherboard to see if that would show me anything. When I did this, I could see what was going and and was able to configure everything, except the video card, to the point where I now have Windows 7 up and running and all my hard drives ( 4 , 2 pair of raid drives) running and seen by the OS. I have one last problem of which I DID start another thread for. So this problem of the ASUS MB not booting has been solved and I have started and new and different thread on my last problem.
m
l
!