Internet connection dc's when using netflix on xbox360

moleman50

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
Hi all,

I have a basic netgear wireless router, which is about 5 months old. Last week I moved into a new apartment. Last night my roommate and I discovered that when streaming video from netflix through our xbox 360 (plugged via ethernet into the router), that the internet on our computers (also plugged in via ethernet) frequently disconnects. When I say disconnects, I mean every 5 minutes or so the connection cuts out for 15-60 seconds, then reconnects.

The interesting part is that the netflix stream works flawlessly during this time. It's as if the streaming video is siphoning off all of the bandwidth, without having issues itself (although I don't think this really makes sense in theory).

Any ideas what might be the issue? Is this likely a problem with the router or the internet itself?

I just ran a speed test and got the following results:

upload: 10770 Kb/s
download: 851 Kb/s
latency: 21ms

Thanks for your help, I'll toy around with it later but would appreciate if you could give me ideas on what to test to pinpoint the problem

Thanks!

pooflinger1

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006

Sounds like a router issue to me. There is no reason that netflix streaming would be using up anywhere near your bandwidth limit. First thing I would try is to do a hard factory reset on the router. Then try browsing the internet while steaming netflix. If the problem dissappears, it was most likely a bad config on the router. If not, try obtaining a firmware update from the manufacturer. If that still doesn't work, try a different router temporarily and see if that fixes the problem.