You think this system would work?

harmpiejan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
hey guys! first post!

Just wanted to ask something. march 2012 I'm going to build my first system :ange:
I would love to hear some comments on my parts so it won't be a total mess. I'm pretty nervous,
watching thousands of videos and tutorials, reading reviews and double-checking everything.

so... what do you think of my system:

mobo: Asrock 970 Extreme4
CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 455
GPU: ASUS EAH6670 (Radeon HD6670)
monitor: Samsung S19A100NS 18.5" (x3)
hdd: Hitachie 320 Gb
power supply: Lepa N500-SA-EU 500W
memory: Crucial 8GB DDR3-1333
Case: Cooler Master Elite 430

well, I guess this are the most importants parts I need advise one. Just for anybody who wants to know, I am going whit a logitech K360 keyboard, a nothing special trust mouse, trust 2.1 speakers, samsung DVD-RW and some extra fans + automatic fancontroller.

I want to create an eyefinity set-up, that's why I use such small monitors, I
don't have to much space in my room :)

oh and about the hdd; I don't need to much space, because I don't have to much music or photo's or anything, and I want to use and old IDE 80 GB hdd that's just laying around as an extra.

only need to find an active displayport to vga adapter and a dvi to 2x vga adapter...

well, I hope you can give me some advice, I would really enjoy hearing from you guys/geeks

Harm Jan

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
I would recommend to change the CPU to AMD a8 3870k if its available and you'd like to overclock. You will likely also need a heatsink IF you overclock. a8 3850 is fine if you won't OC. It will crossfire with a 6670 GPU. This will improve graphics AND I think will also let you use both the monitor ports on card and mobo so not as much need for adapters. You will have to change the motherboard to one with FM1 socket. A75 is the better motherboard chipset. DDR3-1600 memory is better for A8 and shouldn't cost much more.

I'm not familiar with Lepa brand PSU to know if they are good or not. A generic PSU could still run this system fine at 500 watts, but a quality PSU could run it at 400 watts.

harmpiejan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
thanks for your advise. I have been thinking about a better CPU and crossfire GPU's but I'm on a tight budget. the system costs now about € 800 (1000 dollar or 650 pound) so I'm getting close to the limit. and I forgot to mention I actually have a aftermarket heatsink fan for my cpu, so I think I can just run the built-in overclock functions in my motherboard. and again my stupid budget... because I can't afford a better cpu I'm stuck with 1333-memory, otherwise it won't be supported

thanks again for your reply, You really helped me :)

harmpiejan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
[UPDATE]

Hey guys I've been thinking about what kinggraves said and I wanted to know what you think about this:

AMD Athlon II 455 X3 3,3 GHz triple core vs. A4-3400 2x2700 GHz dual-core

I guess the Athlon wins, but maybe there's something special about FM1's I don't know about...

well, thanks in advance :)

majorgibly

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2011
One has new architecture, but I'm unsure how they compete. I would say the Athlon but again not to sure on that one. Rest of the build looks solid.

Happy Building!

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
The advantage of the newer A4-A8 is the crossfire, but you won't be able to crossfire an A4 with 6670, so in that situation I would go for 455.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819106002

This one is slightly cheaper and only a little slower than the a8 and will still work for crossfire and OC. Unfortunately I think these new chips are priced higher in Europe, so this may still be out of budget. X3 455 will still give you good performance for the price, just without crossfire possibility.