Sign in with
Your question
Closed

My Own Gaming Rig v2 - $1500 budget

Last response: in Systems
December 31, 2011 5:49:58 AM

Well, some things IRL came up, so I could not build the computer this month. To cope with the IRL things going on in my house (has to do with my parents and their concerns about me), I cannot build this computer from early-to-mid-January (I need to prove myself to them). I have a job now, so I can bump up my budget to $1500 and even do extra things I could not do otherwise (will be explained in this new template). I still am indecisive when picking out my own components, but I will try my best!

Approximate Purchase Date: late-Jan to early-Feb (this is when I should have the extra cash :) )

Budget Range: ~$1500 after Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Runescape, Gaming (games like CoD, Half-Life, Racing Games, Battlefield, Action Games, Adventure Games, and Face-To-Face Combat games), Surfing the Web, Youtube Videos; Recording Videos for a skill in Runescape

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers, OS. (If a Laptop's HDD can be used in a Desktop computer, Hard Drive won't be required), Headphones.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg and NCIX

Parts Preferences: Case with good airflow and a cable management system, 80+ Certified PSU, UEFI BIOS. I also want an SSD.

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Yes.

Monitor Resolution: 1080p at whatever resolution that runs best at.

Additional Comments: I would like the PC components to be quiet but still efficient, and trusted Brands. I already have decided on an i5-2500k Processor from Microcenter: http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml.... I currently have two computers. One is a Toshiba Satellite P105-S6024 Laptop and a Profile 5 Gateway Computer, so if you look at their specs, you will know why I need an upgrade. I will get the 7000 AMD Series GPU coming out this month, so if Crossfire/SLI doesn't outperform the new series of AMD GPUs coming out, I can get them. Use as much of the $1500 as you can, give or take.

Thanks and sorry about asking for more help! I'm sure you'll still love to help out! :) 

EDIT: Updated my WishList: http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...
EDIT2: According to PC Gamer, I should not OC, should not Crossfire/SLI, and should not buy an SSD. Is he right or wrong?
EDIT3: Should I drop SSD + the 2 GPUs for this?
EDIT4: Ignore EDIT3. I have decided on this final build: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168.... What do you all think?

More about : gaming rig 1500 budget

December 31, 2011 6:12:42 AM

very good choice.i would suggest a video card from asus,gigabyte,msi or sapphire instead of powercolour.MSi is my favorite :) 
BTW you are genius :D 
Score
December 31, 2011 6:17:02 AM

Honestly, I just splattered some of my old build and changed the GPU to 2 6970s lol.
Since the difference between the 1 GB 6950 and 2 GB version of the 6970 is like $80 more, should I save $ and get the 1 GB 6950 instead? What is the difference between more memory on the graphics btw?
Score
Related resources
December 31, 2011 7:16:50 AM

The Ram on the graphics is only usefull if you are
1, Playing on masssiiiveee resoloutions e.g 5012x etc
2, Have multiple monitors
3, Plan on upgradeing to any of the above in the future

Hope that helps :) 
Score
December 31, 2011 7:40:42 AM

+1 but high end games like BF3,crysis,crysis 2 and metro 2033 eats up mote than 1GB VRAM when maxed out @1080p.metro 2033 eats upto 1400mb vram on 1080p.
Score
December 31, 2011 5:26:56 PM

So is my build good?
Score
December 31, 2011 8:17:54 PM

Anyone?
Score
December 31, 2011 9:40:21 PM

OMG, so sorry for this post. I was editing my first post but accidentally clicked Add a Reply instead of updating post.
Score
January 1, 2012 6:49:37 AM

*Continued from the first thread*

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/116104-13-getting-gam...

Quote:
So keep the i5-2500k but OC later? How later?

Thanks for your help and sorry for doubts. :p 

EDIT: I have upped my budget to $1500 and posted a new topic in the New Build forum, so be sure to check it out and suggest parts there! Thanks!

Overclock when your have the hardware acceleration to warrant it. A 6870 is not going to provide the hardware acceleration that would merit overclocking the Sandy Bridge.
The i5 2500k is the most powerful gaming CPU on the market, and at stock speeds, would more than suffice for the vast majority of mid-range GPU's.

If you are going to increase your budget and go with the GTX580 (the best single card on the market), than I can definitely see overclocking for that. The Hyper 212 Evo would more than suffice for 4.4GHz and under (providing you have good airflow).

Once you have all of that taken care of, if you still have funds left over, than an SSD would be a nice luxury, indeed. But for now I recommend investing in the best GPU you can get, if you want to put the power where you can feel it! And there are cheaper 7200RPM HDD's out there than the Barracuda.

What ever you decide, I hope you are pleased with it - it will be your baby for a long time coming!

Let us know, either way.
Score
January 1, 2012 7:00:08 AM

If SLi or CrossfireX is definitely in your plans for the immediate future, than I would recommend the 6970. Much better scaling makes the 6970X2 a better value than the 580SLi.

As such, I wouldn't worry too much about overclocking the CPU with just a single 6970. I would say when you go crossfire would be the time to worry about overclocking.

Make sure your PSU is of excellent quality and at least 800w.

Once all of that is taken care of, if you have money left to spare, then an SSD would be nice luxury.

Edit: If it will be a month before you purchase, than I would go ahead and look into a 7970. It should be significantly more powerful than the 6970 or 580. And with that monster, overclocking your CPU would make much more sense.
Score
January 1, 2012 5:47:46 PM

Thanks! More suggestions are welcome! :) 
Score
January 1, 2012 6:20:15 PM

I have one question? Should I even consider using one of my dad's laptop HDDs for a while until HDD prices come down?
Score
January 1, 2012 7:03:50 PM

azeem40 said:
I have one question? Should I even consider using one of my dad's laptop HDDs for a while until HDD prices come down?

If it's a SATA HDD, I would do that. I have my old laptop HDD as my backup drive currently, but could have used it for OS and storage.
Score
January 1, 2012 7:08:09 PM

He has both SATA and IDE HDDs, Thanks! This will save me $.
Should I buy the 500 GB eHDD though?
Score
January 1, 2012 7:27:33 PM

azeem40 said:
He has both SATA and IDE HDDs, Thanks! This will save me $.
Should I buy the 500 GB eHDD though?

Naw, don't waste money on an external drive. Just grab yourself a 1TB 7200RPM Hitachi for about $50 and use your dad's lappy as a backup. That should free up some funds for more important purchases.
Score
January 1, 2012 7:36:49 PM

Alright, so add 1 TB back into the wishlist or just keep it off and use dad's HDD(s) (one for use, one for backup)?

EDIT: I'm currently using a PSU Calc and it says that without OCing, I need 522W to run everything. Since I plan on OCing sooner or later (PCgamer convinced me to not OC yet), I set the voltage and ghz of the CPU when OCed to 1.5v and 4.5 GHz, respectively, and it came up with 585W. Since I won't be running this PC 24/7, I set the capacitor aging to 2. Does this look okay to everyone? I plan to eventually Crossfire the GPU with another 6970, so will the 750W PSU I will get be able to withstand the added card and the OC, or will I need to buy another PSU later on?
Score

Best solution

January 1, 2012 9:25:13 PM

azeem40 said:
Alright, so add 1 TB back into the wishlist or just keep it off and use dad's HDD(s) (one for use, one for backup)?

EDIT: I'm currently using a PSU Calc and it says that without OCing, I need 522W to run everything. Since I plan on OCing sooner or later (PCgamer convinced me to not OC yet), I set the voltage and ghz of the CPU when OCed to 1.5v and 4.5 GHz, respectively, and it came up with 585W. Since I won't be running this PC 24/7, I set the capacitor aging to 2. Does this look okay to everyone? I plan to eventually Crossfire the GPU with another 6970, so will the 750W PSU I will get be able to withstand the added card and the OC, or will I need to buy another PSU later on?

750w is iffy on a 6970X2 and overclocked Sandy Bridge. You will need an awful lot of amperage per rail at that wattage. Go with a high quality make, and you shouldn't have any trouble with a good 750w PSU, even though it will still be close. There are also other variables that are hard to factor in. I would say at the least, go with a high quality, 80+ gold 750w PSU.

Also, I don't mean to nitpick, but 1.5v is way too high for 4.5GHz. 1.35v at the most is more like it - another reason I say hold off on overclocking. I am not trying to undermine you - we all had to start fresh. But 1.5v for a 4.5GHz Sandy Bridge would just not be stable. Your CPU would run hot.

I would go with a single HDD - a 1TB 7200RPM Hitachi. And SSD is a luxury you can worry about later, if you have a limited budget. Your father's laptop drive would more than suffice for your backups.

Slowly but surely, you are working it out. ;) 
January 1, 2012 9:46:50 PM

Alright! This is great! :) 
Score
January 2, 2012 6:10:02 PM

I currently am at $1449 without an HDD..
Score
January 3, 2012 1:15:46 AM

O Thanks!
Score
January 3, 2012 1:19:46 AM

PCgamer-
Bull's eye :D 
Score
January 3, 2012 4:08:18 AM

Topic answered!
Score
January 3, 2012 8:37:21 AM

select any best answer lollllllllllll!!!!!!!!!
Score
January 3, 2012 10:34:18 AM

Please give it to Hellfire24 - just because he has an awesome name and avatar - and it's SO nice to see young people into PC gaming.

He deserves it. Bestow it upon the young lad!
Score
January 3, 2012 2:58:01 PM

PCgamer-I love you man!!!!!!
Score
January 3, 2012 3:15:17 PM

hellfire24 said:
PCgamer-I love you man!!!!!!

Ditto.
Score
January 3, 2012 3:55:41 PM

:) 
:D 
:) 
Score
January 3, 2012 3:57:03 PM

i love michael jackson.he's still in my heart.
Score
January 3, 2012 8:08:05 PM

hellfire24 said:
i love michael jackson.he's still in my heart.

He was one of a kind, and very talented, that's for sure.
Score
January 3, 2012 8:33:09 PM

Best answer selected by azeem40.
Score
January 4, 2012 1:37:17 AM

bull's eye!!!!!!!!!!!
Score
January 4, 2012 3:23:50 AM

hellfire24 said:
bull's eye!!!!!!!!!!!

He missed!!!~I sincerely wanted you to have it. :ange: 
Score
January 4, 2012 3:28:10 AM

hellfire24 said:
bull's eye!!!!!!!!!!!

Since this thread is about gaming rigs, I don't seem like I'm going off topic much by asking you something...

You have a nice gaming rig. At what point do you stop noticing the difference in frame rates?

Some people say there is no difference between 30 and 60 - and I know that's a lie. 30 seems like heavy lag, to me.

But at 60 I stop noticing improvements - my refresh rate goes to 75.

At what point do you still notice a difference?
Score
January 4, 2012 1:51:32 PM

well i share my rig with my elder brother or it's better to say that he shares his rig with me.in case of frame rates,i feel smooth gameplay at about 40+FPS.60 or 60+ is best possible but 40~50 is smooth too.anything below 30 becomes hell!
BTW you got a sexy case bro.mine was a 3 months used armour+ tower.it was in good condition and cheap so i thought it was a great deal ;) 
Score
January 5, 2012 7:25:59 AM

hellfire24 said:
well i share my rig with my elder brother or it's better to say that he shares his rig with me.in case of frame rates,i feel smooth gameplay at about 40+FPS.60 or 60+ is best possible but 40~50 is smooth too.anything below 30 becomes hell!
BTW you got a sexy case bro.mine was a 3 months used armour+ tower.it was in good condition and cheap so i thought it was a great deal ;) 

You like my case? Wanna trade?

No seriously, I hate it. I wouldn't wish the Cooler Master 430 on my worst enemy. It is nice looking, but that is where it ends. It is small, tight, and cramped. For someone that is good at cable management it would be a good case. But I suck at cable management.

I had much rather have one like yours.
Score
January 5, 2012 12:27:33 PM

so do have any plan for changing your case?i would suggest TT chaser mk-I.it's good looking man!
Score
January 5, 2012 2:50:17 PM

hellfire24 said:
so do have any plan for changing your case?i would suggest TT chaser mk-I.it's good looking man!

I do plan on it, in probably a month or two.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Edit: It does look good. Very good, in fact.

That is the one I shall surely go with!
Score
January 5, 2012 3:05:12 PM

have a good time!how's your seasonic platinum 'baby' doing?i love seasonic and enermax psu's!i have a coolermaster silent pro gold 1000w but it's not 'that' silent.
Score
January 5, 2012 4:32:26 PM

hellfire24 said:
have a good time!how's your seasonic platinum 'baby' doing?i love seasonic and enermax psu's!i have a coolermaster silent pro gold 1000w but it's not 'that' silent.

It is so quiet that I don't even hear it. All I hear is the CPU heatsink fan whirling right now, and in games all I hear is the GPU fan.

I don't think I've ever heard it, to be honest.

The first 80+ platinum PSU I have ever owned, and I couldn't be happier. Cost me a pretty penny, though.

Yeah, it is the pride of my rig. The box it came in is so pretty, I won't ever throw it out.

I can only imagine what an 80+ titanium PSU would be like.

The PSU you have is hella nice, too.
Score
January 5, 2012 6:55:08 PM

Having fun? :p 
Score
January 5, 2012 8:33:32 PM

azeem40 said:
Having fun? :p 

Oh yeah.
Score
!